Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2010, 01:02 PM

1 posts, read 5,586 times

Advertisements

To Scarlet724--is your Dad Benny Lucas? My Mom, Sara Nichols Brandon worked at Sealy Springs as a Hostess. My Mom, my sister and I lived in one of the cabins the year that she worked there and we went to school in Cottonwood..My name is Eleanor Brandon and I was good friends with Benny and my sister Julie was good friends with his sister Ida..We loved that place and wish the owners would rebuild and reopen...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2011, 06:50 PM

1 posts, read 5,483 times
I remember going to the springs as a child. My grandparents were from Cottonwood. My mother graduated from Cottonwood High in 1948. I would love to see the place reopen with a new hotel. I can remember my mother and old class mates meeting there for weekends. Lots of good memories.

Old 06-14-2011, 08:06 PM

1 posts, read 5,324 times
All... I LOVE COTTONWOOD HOT SPRINGS. When my daughter was 5 we started going. She is 23 now. It WAS and still IS her favorite spot in the whole world.... and she has travelled to Italy, France, Spain, Switzerland, England, Puerto Rico, Grand Canyon, Niagra Falls, etc... The Bronner Family not only lost Bronner Senior when he died.... they also lost touch with his most prized possession "CottonWood Hot Springs". They have no clue how devastating the fire was to so many people. They do not realize that the "lack of rebuilding" was more devastating than the fire. Sure, it was not a money maker and a well kept secret among many.... but Bronner Senior wanted it that way. He wanted it to stay quiet, theraputic and a home away from home. We went so much that we knew the towns people and could help ourselves to the kitchen! I am encouraged to hear that some talk is going on! Believe you and me, I will investigate this with the Bronner Family. I live in Atlanta. By the way, Fire fighters.. your efforts were not invain.... your hearts and jobs were in the right place. Many of us applaud your efforts and concern. We also understand your dissappointment! Forgive the younger, greedy and lost younger Bronner generation.... one day, hopefully soon, they will come to their senses. Bronner Senior would want it to be that way.

Old 10-19-2011, 12:41 PM

1 posts, read 5,170 times
I just recently learned that this place ever existed so I decided to find out what I could on the internet about it and found this discussion. Is there any new news on possible redevelopment of it. I live in the area now and hate that I missed out on ever being able to go there. It's sad when places like this close. If the family that owns it doesn't want the hassel of rebuilding, why don't they sell it to somebody who would. In the age of health food and "natural" medicine I think it would have a chance of doing very well.

Old 03-13-2012, 01:22 PM

1 posts, read 4,994 times
I found out about Cottonwood via Essence Magzine years ago when reading an article about a favorite spot of activist Dick Gregory. I took my mom (who has arthritis) and we absolutely loved it!!! The staff of 2 was awesome and there were only 3 other people staying there however, we met 2 local folks that frequented the pools. Mom is now 92 years old and I'd love to go back there with her and pray the Bronners will rethink their decision to let such an fabulous place sit idle. The waters are healing and therapeutic and definitely shouldn't be ignored!!! Please open Cottonwood up again!!!

Old 05-29-2013, 11:31 AM

3 posts, read 7,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homey View Post
I find this to be truly interesting, I take it CWood you were one of the Fireman on scene at that time.

The day that we were out there, I failed to see anyone around to question, and like I had said we were a bit pressed for time or other wise I would have tried to dig up some info.

Maybe one day we can make a prearranged trip out to Cottonwood on her day off and meet up with you and learn more about this. It is really a shame that this place is just going to waste, and some one is waiting for GUIDANCE from above, a swift kick in the back side of the mid section should be guidance enough! A place like that could generate a lot of $$$ to the local area, I just never knew that their were any hot springs around here, just like the Fl Caverans we didn't know about either and did a visit, I know of a lot of people that will take a long hike to get to a Hot Springs just to take a soak and be with nature and then their are others that are waiting for guidance!!! Just too bad it just sits there and goes to waste, hope to hear from you and maybe we can meet up one day?

I agree Homey there is much money to be made at the hot springs spa. If the Family goes ahead without the "GUIDANCE from above," they may receive a swift kick in the back side and the mid-section for the one who provides "GUIDANCE from above. " We all would like to enjoy the springs, however without the Lord's blessing it could be devastating. I had the opportunity to visit and benefit from the springs as well. Perhaps the Lord has a bigger plan for the facility that we can not envision now. The other place in the area is probably enjoying the business. Let's join the family in praying for "GUIDANCE from above. " We just may get what we want!

Old 07-05-2013, 05:38 PM

1 posts, read 4,575 times
I bought a house here in Cottonwood in 2008. I went looking for the hot springs here and found them. I talked to a member of the family that is the caretaker of the hot springs property and he told me that they will not reopen the hot springs there. They rent some of the property out to farmers to grow crops on. They have no desire to open it back up and I ask him if they would sell the property and he said they would not even do that. I am sorry to say that the town of cottonwood will never really be more than it is right now it has old blood that owns the town and they have no desire to do anymore than what they do now. Talking to them about trying to start something here and they want way to much money to rent or buy property in this town. There are some positives to this town but the bad outweighs the good in this town. Maybe when the old blood dies out and younger people have the land and resources maybe it will be better,I hate to say that but that is what I believe. LG construction tried to do something here and I believe that the old blood shut them down and where they started is just sitting idle with slabs just sitting there.

Old 07-08-2013, 11:07 AM

1 posts, read 4,566 times
DOTHAN NATIONAL GOLF RESORT & SPA is fully in operation. We're just south of Dothan and our indoor geothermal hot mineral spa is wonderful for its therapeutic values and to rejuvenate tired muscles. It draws from 3000 feet down and is approximately 104 degrees much of the time. We also have an outdoor Olympic-sized mineral pool that is cooled down.
We have 48 of our 92 rooms renovated and ready for guests. Our 18-hole golf course is challenging and enjoyable. Our banquet facilities will accommodate over 300 guests for events. Come see us and enjoy our friendly staff and facilities.

Old 08-03-2013, 04:55 AM

1 posts, read 4,522 times
I find it interesting that they still have "Cottonwood Hot Springs Spa and Motel in Alabama" listed as a business they operate. See Company Information - Bronner Bros., Inc. I would love to see a "local" person acquire and re-open the place. My family has deep roots tied to Cottonwood. It was kinda funny that a previous poster said that many of her relatives are buried in Ramah Cemetery. As a kid my dad would take us to that cemetery to look after our relatives graves. I still remember the yellow flies swarming around like it was yesterday.

Old 10-11-2013, 02:16 PM

2 posts, read 6,537 times
Default Cottonwood, AL

Hi

The hotsprings Spa in Cottonwood , AL never rebuilt back --but there is a hotel golf resort on 231 south Dothan, AL going towards FL that have an indoors Natural Mineral Spa,, it also have a golf course, Hotel, Restraunt too

Dothan National Hotel and Golf Club --they also have a face book page. and a website

[url=http://www.dothannationalgolfclub.com]Dothan National Golf Club and Hotel[/url]

You can call them 334- 677-3321

I hope this info helps you and have fun. You will enjoy the indoor mineral spa and they also have an outdoor swimming pool.

Joy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
View detailed profiles of: