U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2018, 09:09 PM

2,729 posts, read 1,879,736 times

Advertisements

I always kind of wondered what Tuscaloosa is like. It seems like the college towns are going to be the cities of the future, as the country evolves into the information technology age. Most of the big state college cities are among the most desireable cities in which to live and fastest growing cities in whatever state they are located in.

Are there other things besides football in Tuscaloosa?

Is Tuscaloosa one of the most liberal cities in Alabama?
Is it a draw for liberals and liberterians and counter culture lifestyles such as hippies and outlaws and misfits and artist types thru out Alabama to move there? Is there alot of live music around town? Are there a lot of touring bands that come thru Tuscaloosa?

Is it one of the fastest growing cities in Alabama?

Is it a pretty much a safe city to venture around in and you don't have to worry too much about being a crime victim?

Is Tuscaloosa a true college town where just about everything in Tuscaloosa revolves around the University of Alabama or is it big enough of a city there are other industries where a person can make a decent middle class living?

Are there alot of people who choose to stay in Tuscaloosa after they graduate from college?

Is there a lot of good bars and restaraunts there? Is there an entertainment district in the city?

Is it a good family friendly town with plenty of things to do to keep the kids and the grown-ups entertained?

It doesn't seem like Tuscaloosa gets the recognition as a college town the way that Starkville, Athens, Auburn, Chapel Hill, Oxford, Fayetville, and Lexington does. At least that's my perception. Maybe Tuscaloosa is just a welk-kept seceret ? And it doesn't get mentioned in the same breath with Huntsville, Birmingham, Montgomery, and Mobile, either. I don't know why that I always thought Tuscaloosa might be one of the most popular tourist destinations in Alabama outside the Gulf Coast.

I appologize for so many questions, but I want to ask everything I can think of since I'm making this thread topic
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2018, 09:18 PM

2,615 posts, read 1,170,322 times
The main thing wrong with Tuscaloosa is there are too many Alabama fans.

Yes, it seems to be one of the faster growing areas in the state. There's a large Mercedes assembly plant near there, but otherwise I'm not sure what industries are there.

Old 09-17-2018, 11:29 PM

1,596 posts, read 4,061,955 times
There's nothing about Tuscaloosa that feels like a college town to me other than the fact that a college is there. I have to spend 4 days there every year during All-State Orchestra and the inside of my hotel room is as entertaining as anything else I can find. I mean, I guess there are sports bars and stuff if that's your scene. The town definitely prides itself on the football thing if that's your jam. Huntsville, which doesn't particularly feel very "college town" to me either still feels WAY more "college town" than Tuscaloosa, IMO.

Not a fan of the place. There are worse places of course, but.. meh.

Old 09-18-2018, 08:07 AM

14 posts, read 23,868 times
I lived there quite a few years so I can help a little before you get trolls who have either haven't stepped foot in Tuscaloosa in 20 years or have a hidden agenda (aka fans of rival schools).

1.) There are a ton of things to do besides invest your time in football. The amphitheater brings more musical talent than Huntsville and is in a great setting. You also have the Black Warrior River that you can canoe. Plenty of hiking trails; although Huntsville is better since it has bigger hills. The bar scene is far superior to Huntsville

2.) I wouldn't call it Liberal; however, anytime you are in a town that has a large University it will be more Liberal than other towns

3.) Just like other cities crime depends on where you are. There are certain parts of the city you don't want to venture but there are certain parts of any other town you don't want to be in too. I have yet to see a Utopian city that had no crime

4.) Like previously mentioned there is the Mercedes Auto Plant nearby, but Tuscaloosa really lacks other industries such as aerospace or defense like Huntsville has or banking/finance like Birmingham has. The biggest industries Tuscaloosa has is Education, Healthcare, and Manufacturing. What are you looking for?

5.) Not a lot of people stay in the same town they went to college in so the answer to that is more than likely "No"
6.) Plenty to do there as a child or an adult. Just like anywhere you take out of it what you put in

Hope that helps

Old 09-18-2018, 08:27 AM

4,394 posts, read 1,815,852 times
It's nice enough. But, given my druthers, if I had to pick a college town in Alabama, it would be Auburn.

Old 09-18-2018, 08:36 AM

14 posts, read 23,868 times
This should probably be moved to the Birmingham/Metro page. There will be more people over there that either live there or have lived there

Old 09-18-2018, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadinhsv View Post
I lived there quite a few years so I can help a little before you get trolls who have either haven't stepped foot in Tuscaloosa in 20 years or have a hidden agenda (aka fans of rival schools).

1.) There are a ton of things to do besides invest your time in football. The amphitheater brings more musical talent than Huntsville and is in a great setting. You also have the Black Warrior River that you can canoe. Plenty of hiking trails; although Huntsville is better since it has bigger hills. The bar scene is far superior to Huntsville

2.) I wouldn't call it Liberal; however, anytime you are in a town that has a large University it will be more Liberal than other towns

3.) Just like other cities crime depends on where you are. There are certain parts of the city you don't want to venture but there are certain parts of any other town you don't want to be in too. I have yet to see a Utopian city that had no crime

4.) Like previously mentioned there is the Mercedes Auto Plant nearby, but Tuscaloosa really lacks other industries such as aerospace or defense like Huntsville has or banking/finance like Birmingham has. The biggest industries Tuscaloosa has is Education, Healthcare, and Manufacturing. What are you looking for?

5.) Not a lot of people stay in the same town they went to college in so the answer to that is more than likely "No"
6.) Plenty to do there as a child or an adult. Just like anywhere you take out of it what you put in

Hope that helps
True, and totally to be expected in a town with a university of near 40,000 students.

Old 09-19-2018, 09:17 AM

791 posts, read 465,105 times
It's growing, but mainly due to Alabama football (let's be real). I'm not personally a fan of the town, kinda run down. There seems to be a few factories out by the airport, then of course Mercedes up the road a bit.

Old 09-19-2018, 09:34 AM

2,729 posts, read 1,879,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadinhsv View Post

Hope that helps
That's good information. Thanks.

And thanks to everybody who responded to this thread.

Old 09-19-2018, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mississippi Alabama Line View Post
It's growing, but mainly due to Alabama football (let's be real). I'm not personally a fan of the town, kinda run down. There seems to be a few factories out by the airport, then of course Mercedes up the road a bit.
Agree. Gotta wonder if it'll shrink once Saban retires.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama