U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2019, 08:03 PM

2 posts, read 3,703 times

Advertisements

Hello All! My husband and i are looking to move with our 2 sons who are 11 & 13 from Ohio where we currently live but have lived in St. Louis our whole lives! My husband has trained race horses his entire life but is ready to get out of the cold and hang his training boots up and is ready to get a 9-5 job!! We recently visited the foley area and really liked it and think it’s a great place to finish raising our boys! My husband says i keep finding all these great reasons to move to Foley but I’ve yet to show any Cons and it has to have some down falls right? Doesn’t every city? Can anyone suggest against moving there to finish raising our boys?!? Any down falls in your opinions? Thanks in advance for all answers! They are much appreciated!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2019, 12:19 PM

7,006 posts, read 5,154,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernamica1 View Post
Hello All! My husband and i are looking to move with our 2 sons who are 11 & 13 from Ohio where we currently live but have lived in St. Louis our whole lives! My husband has trained race horses his entire life but is ready to get out of the cold and hang his training boots up and is ready to get a 9-5 job!! We recently visited the foley area and really liked it and think it’s a great place to finish raising our boys! My husband says i keep finding all these great reasons to move to Foley but I’ve yet to show any Cons and it has to have some down falls right? Doesn’t every city? Can anyone suggest against moving there to finish raising our boys?!? Any down falls in your opinions? Thanks in advance for all answers! They are much appreciated!
The only downside I can think of is you will feel the effects of hurricanes, but you are well inland, so flooding shouldn’t be a problem. It does have some heavy traffic problems , but most places have this. Some folks don’t like hot , humid summers, but I do. Its just something you get used to. I don’t live in Foley, but it has always been on my list. I think it is a nice town.

Old 05-07-2019, 03:43 PM

18,440 posts, read 38,541,356 times
There’s not a lot of jobs in Foley other than service jobs, unless you’re going to commute to Mobile or Pensacola. It’s a tourist town, and the traffic can be annoying especially around spring break. Spanish Fort or Loxley would probably be more realistic for raising a family, and homeowners insurance would likely be cheaper.

Old 05-07-2019, 04:00 PM

9,699 posts, read 6,568,123 times
foley is great

Old 05-08-2019, 07:31 AM

175 posts, read 372,009 times
I've lived here in Foley (retired) since 2010. Once you learn traffic patterns for spring break, snowbird migration, and summer beach tourists, getting around is not a problem. Stay on top of beach events and avoid going in those areas (things like the annual shrimp fest and the Hangout Festival. Unless attending, of course!). Also, many schools, both high school and colleges/universities, have sports events at the many municipal fields, so you need to read the local rags to avoid the traffic they generate.

I'd classify Foley as a little bigger than small-town America. Lots of restaurants, shopping, etc. New amusement park (OWA) with its own little downtown area. Nice downtown located city park with regular events. There are some shops downtown, but most shoppers looking for that something special drive over to downtown Fairhope (20 minutes or so). There are two centers for manufacturing jobs, one for aluminum products and one aerospace related. Jobs there are scarce. If you are into food service or hotel services (maintenance, housekeeping), jobs are more plentiful. Most restaurants have help-wanted signs up year 'round.

Before committing to buying a house, check with an insurance agent. The further south you go, the higher the cost, if available at all. And if things like internet service are important, make sure you go to an area with high speed internet. It can be spotty in some areas.

Foley is centrally located: beaches 12 miles south, Mobile 45 minutes west, Pensacola 40 minutes east.

I know I've rambled on about the good stuff. Really hard to find anything bad enough to complain about. When I moved here, my biggest complaint was the cost of sewer service. $54.50 per month, fixed, regardless of water usage. Also the lack of real high-speed internet. We finally got 25Mbps through CenturyLink (bonded DSL), but the areas that have fiber are much higher.

Ron

Old 05-08-2019, 11:26 AM

2 posts, read 3,703 times
Thank you so much! That is all information that i am currently looking for!!

Old 05-08-2019, 08:40 PM

18,440 posts, read 38,541,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronrutmr2 View Post
I've lived here in Foley (retired) since 2010. Once you learn traffic patterns for spring break, snowbird migration, and summer beach tourists, getting around is not a problem. Stay on top of beach events and avoid going in those areas (things like the annual shrimp fest and the Hangout Festival. Unless attending, of course!). Also, many schools, both high school and colleges/universities, have sports events at the many municipal fields, so you need to read the local rags to avoid the traffic they generate.

I'd classify Foley as a little bigger than small-town America. Lots of restaurants, shopping, etc. New amusement park (OWA) with its own little downtown area. Nice downtown located city park with regular events. There are some shops downtown, but most shoppers looking for that something special drive over to downtown Fairhope (20 minutes or so). There are two centers for manufacturing jobs, one for aluminum products and one aerospace related. Jobs there are scarce. If you are into food service or hotel services (maintenance, housekeeping), jobs are more plentiful. Most restaurants have help-wanted signs up year 'round.

Before committing to buying a house, check with an insurance agent. The further south you go, the higher the cost, if available at all. And if things like internet service are important, make sure you go to an area with high speed internet. It can be spotty in some areas.

Foley is centrally located: beaches 12 miles south, Mobile 45 minutes west, Pensacola 40 minutes east.

I know I've rambled on about the good stuff. Really hard to find anything bad enough to complain about. When I moved here, my biggest complaint was the cost of sewer service. $54.50 per month, fixed, regardless of water usage. Also the lack of real high-speed internet. We finally got 25Mbps through CenturyLink (bonded DSL), but the areas that have fiber are much higher.

Ron
I remember back when all Foley had was Gulftel, and it was awful. I lived on W Fern Ave for a bit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>