U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-25-2021, 03:49 PM

1,386 posts, read 943,015 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
I'm in a rural area, although I'm not poor anymore. I'm originally from New Mexico. I have resided and have called Florida home since the 70's.

Three areas I familiar with... Indiantown Florida, Jasper Arkansas, and in a broad sense, East Tennessee. All rural, mostly.

Do I qualify to post?
Of course you do, anyone can post
Rate this post positively

Old 09-25-2021, 04:43 PM

2,071 posts, read 2,480,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreggT View Post
45 minutes is nothing. Folks that live in Atlanta would wish it only took them 45 minutes to get to work. In my career my drives varied from 90 minutes to no less than 30. One of my nieces drives 90 minutes now with her husband driving 40 minutes going the other way. A lot of folks living in Fort Payne work in Huntsville, over an hour in good traffic.
Well good for them. We are talking apples and oranges here. Not everyone wants to do that and those who do more power for them!!

Old 09-25-2021, 07:56 PM

11,264 posts, read 7,479,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surge0001 View Post
Of course you do, anyone can post
BamaDave didn't think so.

Old 09-25-2021, 08:38 PM

11,009 posts, read 5,805,051 times
Quote:
45 minutes is nothing. Folks that live in Atlanta would wish it only took them 45 minutes to get to work. In my career my drives varied from 90 minutes to no less than 30. One of my nieces drives 90 minutes now with her husband driving 40 minutes going the other way. A lot of folks living in Fort Payne work in Huntsville, over an hour in good traffic.
Yeah. Plenty of folks I work with drive 45 minutes or more.

Old 09-26-2021, 05:15 AM

549 posts, read 292,716 times
Quote:
People living in Atlanta stuck in heavy traffic need more time to go relatively shorter distances. That's not what we are talking about here.

People *choosing* to live in Fort Payne and *choosing* to work in Huntsville is not what we are talking about here.

Poor people don't have those options. There aren't enough jobs paying living wages near them, they can't afford to move and they generally don't have decent transportation that can hold up to a daily commute of those distances.

Old 09-26-2021, 12:18 PM

813 posts, read 673,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
BamaDave didn't think so.
That's not even remotely what I said. I said the conversation is almost pointless without the input of people who are actually living in rural poverty in Alabama and know what their barriers and experiences are. Otherwise, it's just a bunch of speculation from unaffected people, which is fine, but probably not all that practical or valuable (IMO). And when some have the mindset that poor people lack virtue, just don't want to work, want to live on handouts, etc., then things get really unproductive very quickly. Sure, some poor people want to take advantage, but my bet is most would like to escape poverty and are trapped, or at least feel trapped, in its vicious cycle.

Old 09-26-2021, 12:21 PM

813 posts, read 673,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beliciano View Post
Well good for them. We are talking apples and oranges here. Not everyone wants to do that and those who do more power for them!!
I drive one hour but have a good job that pays enough for me to be able to afford the gas.

Old 09-26-2021, 01:50 PM

30,399 posts, read 34,644,249 times
The biggest way to fix poverty in the U.S. has pretty much already been established by Isabel Sawhill of the left leaning Brookings Institution (a research "think tank").

It's pretty simple: Finish high school>>Work full time>>Get married>>THEN have kids.

The order matters a great deal. People who have kids outside of marriage or before finishing a basic education are much more likely to be poor.

In later research, Ron Haskins and I learned that if individuals do just three things—finish high school, work full time and marry before they have children—their chances of being poor drop from 15 percent to 2 percent.

https://www.brookings.edu/opinions/t...nmarried-moms/

She also talked about disincentivising the dysfunctional habits that keep some people in poverty:

Not only does behavior matter, it matters more than it used to. Growing gaps between rich and poor in recent decades have been exacerbated by a divergence in the behavior of the two groups. No feasible amount of income redistribution can make up for the fact that the rich are working and marrying as much or more than ever while the poor are doing just the reverse. Unless the poor adopt more mainstream behaviors, and public policies are designed to move them in this direction, economic divisions are likely to grow.

https://www.brookings.edu/articles/t...ts-of-poverty/

It's a long article, but well worth reading.

I agree with pretty much everything she said. If more people on the left were as pragmatic as she is, I would vote for them.

I think the real issue is that people fall into dysfunctional patterns and our ruling elite allows them to continue in these patterns. There are powerful people, on the Right AND the Left who don't want to solve the poverty problem. We know how to greatly reduce poverty (a combination of governent support and strong incentives/messaging for certain behaviors). But there are many in power who are happy to have a semi-permanent underclass. It keeps them in power.

Old 09-26-2021, 04:17 PM

534 posts, read 399,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaDave View Post
I drive one hour but have a good job that pays enough for me to be able to afford the gas.
Likewise while growing up; I drove round trip about 1' 30" from home to college; college to work; and work back home. I did not grow up in a rural area but the point I'm lending is that of sacrifice and perseverance. Two traits family instilled in me. Two traits that can be eaten away from those who want to bring you down and from the random mistrials of life.

In today's world; broadband internet access will allow for remote learning and hopefully a useful degree. Despite the technology and COVID tested methods; remote learning can only go so far in a quality education. I would be in favor of having tax dollars support the access. I'm good with it being subsidized provided access controls are in place. Along the same lines; funding and support of 2 year colleges and technical schools can also help being launching points to opportunities to finish at a 4 year school if that is the end goal.

Tough subject with no easy answers.

Old 09-26-2021, 05:06 PM

2,387 posts, read 1,007,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hackles View Post
offer all of the women between age 15 and 45 10k to get sterilized. Most would jump on the deal and we'd all be WAY ahead. Not just rural, ALL women. In the third world, 3k would be plenty.
You maybe onto something

In addition to social roots of poverty how about biological? Could poverty in Alabama be a result of low IQ?
When manual jobs in agriculture, manufacturing, and services industries went away - what are people to do?
Not everyone is fit to work in automated factories even if they want to do it.
We are afraid even attempting to study these issues for fear of being called names - as it is extremely non-PC

So automate away, distribute free internet and computers for remote work, invest and build infrastructure - you just get people from other states moving in- the ones who look for opportunities, appreciate them and who could do the jobs.
Which may not be a bad idea - to mix up the population pool

For the posters who argued for moral improvements and teachings of self-reliance:
There was a popular style of preaching in the South and in the North - in black communities - called the “whooping” style of preaching.

I happened to witness this type of preaching- you could too.
Aretha Franklin funeral preacher. Chosen by Aretha herself for her father’s funeral and for her own. It was an eye opener.
He was condemned by the goers after the funeral ad well as our mainstream media.
The preacher was telling it like it is. It might be on the internet somewhere
Everyone needs to hear him preach, the suffering communities especially

Last edited by L00k4ward; 09-26-2021 at 05:35 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama