U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-02-2007, 08:28 PM

1,125 posts, read 2,432,656 times

Advertisements

Can anyone tell me anything about the place?
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2007, 11:43 AM

269 posts, read 495,432 times
there's really not a whole lot to it. there is an eit off I-65 "Georgiana/Starlington"

I've only been off this exit maybe 2 or 3 times and driven through both areas.

It's pretty much what you would expect from a very rural, Alabama town. Very low cost of living, not particularly convenient to any big city.

Old 01-06-2007, 12:37 PM

Thanks, Steve. I was curious to see whether it was still in existence. My maternal grandmother lived there, and my mother and I would take the train from California and visit her every summer during the 50s and 60s. It was just a bump in the road then, so it seems nothing has changed since.

Old 01-09-2007, 07:54 PM

403 posts, read 1,280,599 times
It's still there. They have a Hank Williams museum in the home where he and his mother lived when Hank was a kid--I liked it.

Nice folks there. I had a blowout on a brand-new Jeep about 10 years ago and limped off the interstate into the first little general store/service station we came to outside of town. The gentleman who owned the place pulled an old tire out of his garage, mounted it for us, and threw in the back of the Jeep for a spare. Then took the new spare out from under the Jeep and mounted it on the vehicle so we could continue on our with 4 new tires. Asked him "How much?" and he told us $5 and we could "...just drop that old tire off on your next time through town." We gave him a $20 bill and and our profuse thanks, and then did drop the old tire off on our way back from the beach the next week. Unbelievable!

Old 01-10-2007, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nalabama View Post
It's still there. They have a Hank Williams museum in the home where he and his mother lived when Hank was a kid--I liked it...Nice folks there.... Unbelievable!
I had forgotten Hank Williams had lived there.

I remember summers there. The people were very easy going but hard working. Some of the nicest people I ever had the pleasure of knowing.

Thanks, so much, for the update

Old 07-18-2008, 02:40 AM

27 posts, read 60,311 times
hi all: i live here in georgiana and its nothing like ya'll remember it.. it has gotten worse in my eyes...i have lived here for 38 yrs off and on...the price of living here is worse than u can believe...the hosptial is still here and so is the high school which is in bad shape...most of the stores like Taylor's is closed for good and the grocery store is still open and high in price as ever....the hank williams wkend is still here but now u have to pay $25 to $30 per person just to get threw the gate....the old first baptist church was redone a few yrs ago....as u can see alot has change here... if u have pictures of what it looked like way back then ( 60's and back) and see the town now u will be shocked...hope this helped some.

Old 07-19-2008, 09:03 AM

116 posts, read 342,715 times
I grew up north of Georgiana and have had need to pass through the town (with emphasis on the "pass through" part) over the past few years on business. Its strike me as a tired old Southern town that I would never want to live in, visit maybe if I had family, but never live in.

Old 07-26-2008, 02:52 AM

27 posts, read 60,311 times
u couldnt be more right on the part of being a tired old southern town. most of the younger ppl that was here left after high school and hasnt come back to live here and ppl say theres alot to do here. they must be blind or got their heads in the sand cause there is nothing here for the ppl my age and younger to do here and thats sad. its a dead town to live in. if no one believes me then ya'll just come on down and go in town and just sit in a parking lot and see if any thing happens. i hate to say this but im ashame to call this town my home cause of the way it looks. if there was some great jobs, a few places to go to to have fun, and nice places to live in then maybe there would be a chance to get this place back on its feet. ya'll have a good day/night..

Old 07-27-2008, 01:10 PM

8,958 posts, read 16,187,704 times
Well on a positive note just be thankful it's not being overdeveloped like many other parts of the state. It could be worse, like seeing nothing but endless miles of subdivisions that all look the same with no trees.

Old 07-27-2008, 07:56 PM

116 posts, read 342,715 times
Well, you can see rows of mobile homes and old wood frame houses that all look alike, to include the derelict cars in the yard and various pieces of "parts" (be it toys, mowers, interior furniture or other assorted junk) scattered about under the trees in the overgrown grounds around the homes.

There are nice homes there, with well maintained yards, but the general impression of the area is dismal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama