U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2008, 11:06 PM

681 posts, read 1,218,673 times
Question armadillo vs possum

The last few times I visited my mom in Alabama, I noticed there were no dead possums on the side of the road. There was several dead armadillos however. Has the armadillo replaced the possum as the number one road kill in Alabama
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2008, 09:47 AM

3,185 posts, read 4,999,363 times
Mmm, possum on the half-shell...

roger - do your momma n'them live in south Alabama? In north Alabama it's still a little unusual to see an armadillo.

Based on my travels yesterday through north Alabama and southern Tennessee, I'd say the number one road kill was deer (2), followed by dog (1), then something unrecognizable (1).

Old 05-25-2008, 10:00 AM

9,800 posts, read 10,951,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roger6087 View Post
The last few times I visited my mom in Alabama, I noticed there were no dead possums on the side of the road. There was several dead armadillos however. Has the armadillo replaced the possum as the number one road kill in Alabama

I occasionally visit y'all Alabama folks forum (as a noteable percentage of my family migrated to Texas from there after the War) and I surely did get an appreciative chuckle out of this one.

As some of y'all may know, the armadillo is Texas' state "small mammal" (the Longhorn is the "large" one! LOL). And back in the late 70's...a sub-genre of country music associated with Texas (Willie Nelson, Waylon Jennings, etc) often referred to the armadillo as if it were uniquely Texan.

Actually, the critter has roots all over the South, especially in the geographical "Lower South" from Texas to Alabama, and is probably, in purely scientific terms, more "Southern" than is the possum!

Here is a neat little link and map on it all!

Armadillo Expansion

Last edited by TexasReb; 05-25-2008 at 10:31 AM..

Old 05-25-2008, 10:03 AM

9,800 posts, read 10,951,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reactionary View Post
Based on my travels yesterday through north Alabama and southern Tennessee, I'd say the number one road kill was deer (2), followed by dog (1), then something unrecognizable (1).
Can't resist adding that the substance you refer to, Reactionary, might have been the remains of a lawyer. As the old joke goes, the distinguishing characteristic of a skunk or lawyer as road kill will be that in the former instance, there will be skid marks...!

Oh man, I hope you are not an attorney. If so, no offence intended, of course!

Old 05-25-2008, 10:29 AM

5,000 posts, read 10,594,115 times
Quote:
In north Alabama it's still a little unusual to see an armadillo.
Au contraire!
I passed by 5 laying on the side of the I-65 between Decatur and Birmingham the other day!

Old 05-25-2008, 02:25 PM

3,185 posts, read 4,999,363 times
I've only seen one armadillo north of Birmingham in the past three or four years (and that was on South Parkway). Maybe I'll see more on my way to the beach this Summer.

TexasReb - always good to hear from you.

Q: How many lawyers does it take to eat an armadillo?
A: Three. One to eat it, and two to watch for cars.

Old 05-25-2008, 10:18 PM

5,000 posts, read 10,594,115 times
Quote:
I've only seen one armadillo north of Birmingham in the past three or four years (and that was on South Parkway). Maybe I'll see more on my way to the beach this Summer.

TexasReb - always good to hear from you.

Q: How many lawyers does it take to eat an armadillo?
A: Three. One to eat it, and two to watch for cars.
Early morning and late afternoon, around dusk, are the best times for armadillos, deer, etc.
Love the jokes!

Old 05-25-2008, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Mmm, possum on the half-shell...

roger - do your momma n'them live in south Alabama? In north Alabama it's still a little unusual to see an armadillo.
My mom lives in northwest Alabama, Marion County.

Old 05-25-2008, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
I occasionally visit y'all Alabama folks forum (as a noteable percentage of my family migrated to Texas from there after the War) and I surely did get an appreciative chuckle out of this one.

As some of y'all may know, the armadillo is Texas' state "small mammal" (the Longhorn is the "large" one! LOL). And back in the late 70's...a sub-genre of country music associated with Texas (Willie Nelson, Waylon Jennings, etc) often referred to the armadillo as if it were uniquely Texan.

Actually, the critter has roots all over the South, especially in the geographical "Lower South" from Texas to Alabama, and is probably, in purely scientific terms, more "Southern" than is the possum!

Here is a neat little link and map on it all!

Armadillo Expansion
"Nine-banded armadillos live in a variety of habitats, but prefer brushy or forested areas which provide lots of cover."
There is a lot of brushy or forested areas in Marion County Alabama. Perfect for armadillos.

This is from the site you provided.

"
9. Why do armadillos get hit by cars so often?

Three reasons. First, armadillos will eat carrion, which in the US is often roadkill. Animals that eat roadkill often become roadkill themselves, because they are on the road more often than other animals are. Second, armadillos are nocturnal. It is hard to see animals by the side of the road at night, so it is harder for motorists to avoid hitting them. Third, armadillos jump up in the air when they feel threatened. This often works to startle a predator, but against an automobile it doesn’t work; they just end up jumping right into the front or underside of the car, with disastrous results."

Maybe this is the reason I haven't seen any dead possums, the armadillos ate them.

Old 05-25-2008, 11:13 PM

17,653 posts, read 16,455,542 times
Armadillos were almost wiped out here in Tx back in 70's. You'd see them laying on the side of the road holding a bottle of Lone Star Beer. Must have been the drinkin and crossing the road that got em.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama