Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2007, 02:36 AM

7 posts, read 46,182 times

Advertisements

Relocating from Indiana to Northern Alabama. Job in Huntsville. Question is - where should we live - not in Huntsville to big. We are looking for a family oriented community with good schools, activities for the kids, etc. We have never lived outside of Indiana so any information would be helpful. Schools, property taxes, utilities, sales tax, etc. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2007, 11:14 AM

114 posts, read 602,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dllaw View Post
Job in Huntsville. Question is - where should we live - not in Huntsville to big. We are looking for a family oriented community with good schools, activities for the kids, etc. Schools, property taxes, utilities, sales tax, etc. Thanks
Fayetteville, TN or rural Lincoln County. About a 30-40 minute commute to most areas of HSV. Schools may not be quite as good as Huntsville, but not bad, either. No state income tax; property taxes and sales tax slightly higher than Alabama, and more house for your money. Very family-oriented community, without the rat race of Huntsville or Madison. When I lived there, it was always wonderful to cross the state line every day on the way home; I just felt like I was in a different, more peaceful, more beautiful world.

Old 01-08-2007, 03:31 PM

Default One More Piece of Advice

If you're going to buy a house, the sooner you can do it, the better off you'll be. Huntsville is about to get an influx of up to 5000 government employees relocated due to military base closures. This may start happening this summer, and will continue for the next 3-4 years. It will most definitely drive real estate prices skyward, because a lot of these people are coming from Washington D.C./Northern Virginia and will have made a ton of money from the sale of their houses up there. Good luck!

Old 01-09-2007, 07:03 AM

Thanks jetjockey, we will indeed be buying and have been through Fayetteville. It does seem like a very nice place. What about property taxes and utilities. Some people that my husband works with said it is much more expensive than Alabama. Any thoughts?

Old 01-09-2007, 07:06 AM

Can you tell me anything about Arab, AL? We have been told that both cities would be very nice to live in.

Old 01-09-2007, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Thanks jetjockey, we will indeed be buying and have been through Fayetteville. It does seem like a very nice place. What about property taxes and utilities. Some people that my husband works with said it is much more expensive than Alabama. Any thoughts?
MUCH more expensive? I guess it's all relative. First of all, I believe you can get a lot more house for the money in TN because many people have an aversion to commuting even as little as 30 minutes. It is true that Alabama has the LOWEST property taxes in the nation, by far, but TN isn't bad -- when I moved away 5 years ago, I was paying $1100/yr on a $300,000 home in Fayetteville. As far as sales tax, you will pay about 9% in AL, 10% in TN (I can't remember if either state taxes food). I really can't compare utilities for you-- both areas get TVA electricity (cheap), but I read somewhere that Alabama natural gas customers pay the highest rates in the country. Feel free to ask any other questions, I'll try to help as much as possible, but a realtor could probably help you a lot more.

Last edited by jetjockey75; 01-09-2007 at 08:55 AM..

Old 01-09-2007, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Can you tell me anything about Arab, AL? We have been told that both cities would be very nice to live in.
I've been through Arab many times but never lived there. It is on top of a mountain, where Fayetteville is in a river valley. IMO, it is not nearly as pretty as Fayetteville, but it is only 10 miles away from Lake Guntersville, which is a plus.

There was a recent thread on this forum about Arab, if you scroll down a bit you will find it. Another place you can ask questions is on al.com. They have a forum section, and you can find out a lot by going to the Huntsville forum.

Old 01-09-2007, 08:57 AM

232 posts, read 994,453 times
Default Many options, depends upon budget and commute.

I'm a local Realtor and I've worked with several families who prefer to live out of the city. Many have settled in either NE Madison County or in Limestone County just west of Huntsville/Madison.

The others who have responded to your questions are right, depending upon your current commute, you might find that TN isn't too far out. If so, look at the Ardmore area; the town literally sits on the state line and from there you can commute in on either Aloabama Hwy 53 or on I-65 and 565.

There are great rural home and land opportunities in the Harselle area, too, just south of Decatur along I-65. It all depends upon your budget and the amount of land you're looking for.

Let me know if I can help. -Doug Keel

Old 01-09-2007, 09:04 AM

232 posts, read 994,453 times
Quote:
Arab is a good community and affordable (I sold a client an immaculate 4000 sf, 4 year old, full brick home on an acre lot there last year for $66/sf) but it's a good 30 minute commute across the TN River south of Huntsville. Depending upon where you're working, the commute can be more painful due to South Memorial Parkway widening and stop lights. If you're working at Redstone Arsenal, then there's south gates near the river so it's not bad.

Arab's a slow growth area at the moment when compared to other local communities which might be what you're looking for. That can mean it might take a bit longer to sell later, though.

Old 01-09-2007, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbkeel1 View Post
Arab is a good community and affordable (I sold a client an immaculate 4000 sf, 4 year old, full brick home on an acre lot there last year for $66/sf)
Wow. For $66/sf for an almost new house, I would almost be tempted to buy a weekend/retirement home in Arab. That is a great deal!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama