U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2007, 12:08 PM

4 posts, read 9,320 times

Advertisements

Thank you very much, lisamm, for your thoughts on Huntsville! Very very helpful!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2007, 12:18 AM

4 posts, read 9,831 times
A born-and-raised northerner, I've been in Bama for a couple weeks and so far it has been fun and enjoyable. The people truly are friendly and its a nice change from CA where I lived before. There's been only a couple culture shock moments (one was finding out there is a difference between trash and garbage, one was to find out that Confederate Memorial day is a State sanctioned holiday). So its kind of like living in a foreign country, but not as expensive! Just kidding, except for the not as expensive part

Old 01-17-2007, 12:18 PM

27 posts, read 92,220 times
So what is the difference between trash and garbage ? Does it go out differently?

Old 01-17-2007, 01:13 PM

403 posts, read 1,291,863 times
Garbage is household waste products, and must be bagged and placed at the curb in the city-supplied containers for automated pickup. Trash is pretty much anything else, including yard waste, appliances, large pieces of cardboard, mattresses, furniture, etc., but excludes certain defined "hazardous products" and construction materials or rocks/soil, and must be placed at the curb either loose or (preferably) in homeowner-supplied bags or containers for hand and machine pickup.

Last edited by nalabama; 01-17-2007 at 01:14 PM.. Reason: add info

Old 01-17-2007, 02:41 PM

26 posts, read 364,009 times
...and you Northerners had better make that distinction to save some backbreaking work. Yes, save backbreaking work
I, a Northerner and my sweetheart had our leaves "done" by a local guy. The lawn and yard looked great. He'd swept everything into a pile, mowed the lawn, placed the leaves by the curb and we were pleased, FOR THE MOST PART.

The Exception
We, being Northerners, and did I mention newcomers, read - "green, green, green" felt it our duty to our neighborhood to place all of the leaves into garbage bags. Of course, we decided this fifteen minutes before trash pickup (we didn't see the leaves until morning.) I figured, "This family is not going to make more work for the city's sanitation workers. Why, we're going to fit in if it kills us!" We wondered why the drivers passing by were looking at us like we were new arrivals from MARS.
Sooooo, as we were placing our leaves in bags, along came the sparkling white trash truck and the leaves were magically picked up. Viola, talk about swept away. Boy, did we feel ridiculous! Later, we encountered "Leaf Man" who told us that he thought we knew
...and now a message to the Mayor of Filthydelphia, how appropriate that your first name is John as you've sold the city like a common streetwalker. We wouldn't live in Filthy if you offered us a free house. Rant over...
There were over 400 murders in Philadelphia last year, yet people will not relocate. As long as I live I'll NEVER understand that. Never. As far as being a Northerner, I prefer to think "I was once a Northerner" by birth only.

My parents used to tease me about "being country." Of course, I would never want my parents to be wrong, bless their sweet hearts. I love to walk barefoot, play guitar and other things 'country.' It's even better when you own land and have neighbors who are willing to teach you how to plant veggies. There is a feeling of accomplishment that comes with seeing your first tomatoes and stringbeans on the table that you've grown with a little help from your new neighbors.
I've adopted my new city and state and seemingly I've been adopted which I consider a blessing.
I pay property taxes, attend parades, worship here and am a registered voter. Ah, home at last.

Last edited by replantedinsc; 01-17-2007 at 03:09 PM..

Old 01-17-2007, 07:09 PM

69 posts, read 302,981 times
Although I never lived in Huntsville, I had the pleasure of visting there for a week over the summer. I am Maryland originally, but did not feel out of place. The people were very friendly and helpful. However, on our way home, we stayed in the small town of Scottsboro for a couple of days. Ironically people in this town were not nice at all. We expected for everyone to be nice like they were in Huntsville. Oh well...but the overall Alabama experience was great.

Old 05-28-2007, 11:41 PM

84 posts, read 328,602 times
WX Harker...check out some of the threads on Fort Rucker. They will also contain info about Dothan. Feel free to PM me with specific questions. Good luck. MM

Old 05-29-2007, 03:24 AM

114 posts, read 515,111 times
How do kids from up north adjust to Alabama living? Is it a culture shock?

Old 05-29-2007, 07:23 AM

104 posts, read 331,749 times
YES..................but gets easier with time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama