U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Unread 01-16-2007, 09:27 PM

1 posts, read 2,973 times
Default Help! Need 411 about University of Alabama

I am from Indiana, and my entire family is moving to Alabama. I left Indiana behind with practically a full ride scholarship so that I would not be far from my family. Someone please tell me that I did not make the BIGGEST mistake of my life.

I admit that I am in total ignorance of everything about Alabama and UofA. I know that sports rein supreme esepecially football. Can anypne help me get in the know before this fall.

If anyone knows someone from the north, you know how hard it is for a 'yank' to ask for help. Please don't make me beg!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 01-16-2007, 09:53 PM

1,021 posts, read 2,828,063 times
What area in Alabama? It's a beautiful state. My mother moved there a few years ago and I have always loved Alabama.

You will need to specify which school you mean, though, so the fine people of Alabama can assist you (I think they are the friendliest people in the south other than the fine citizens of Atlanta, Georgia).

There is the University of Alabama in Tuscaloosa, where Football is worshipped (notice I type "Football" with a capital F to show proper obeisance). And then there is UAB, the University of Alabama at Birmingham, a fine school associated with UAB Hospital, a world-class medical and teaching facility.

You're young and although I suppose it's possible to make the biggest mistake of your life before 18, I think you can relax; this move probably isn't going to be it.

What do you plan to study?

(Oh, right now, try to stop calling soda or any other carbonated drink "pop". Smile and make eye contact. You'll be fine.)

Unread 01-16-2007, 10:03 PM

1 posts, read 2,972 times
You are not making a mistake! UA is a great school that gets better every year. You are correct that sports is integral to campus life, but the academics are superb and improving all the time. I'm heavily involved in an out-of-state alumni chapter. Through that work, I've come to know several people in the admissions office who'd be happy to address any questions/concerns you may have. I can give you their contact info privately if you'd like.

Unread 01-16-2007, 11:03 PM

4 posts, read 9,256 times
I've been on the UA @ Tuscaloosa campus as a prof for about 1.5 weeks now- just moved here from CA, originally from PA. The University has a lot to offer and the people are super nice and friendly, the students seem bright. I know IU is a good school, but I would say that you definitely can get an equivalent education at UA- they have a lot of great opportunities for students. I think though if you wanted to slide by and spend 4 years tail-gating you could probably do that too and still get a job with an UA alum that you can impress with your knowledge of Crimson Tide Football

Unread 01-17-2007, 09:29 AM

400 posts, read 1,188,039 times
Apply as soon as possible either to U of A or Auburn and inquire about scholarship opportunities at the same time. Both schools avidly pursue outstanding students and have the money to help you out with scholarships. Ask for an interview with the Dean of the college you intend to major within. If you want to excel academically and be able to go to almost any graduate program in the nation upon graduation, ask the Dean if they will ensure that you will be provided with a challenging curriculum that, assuming you do your part, will enable you to meet these goals. It worked for my child. Good luck.

Unread 01-22-2007, 05:35 PM

1,021 posts, read 2,828,063 times
If you are 18, I'd advise keeping that full scholarship to Indiana and living in the dorm. Moving south in the fall, you probably will not meet residency requirements for in-state tuition. Non-resident tuition is doubled. Maybe you could apply for reclassification of residency and transfer later.

Last edited by Figment 07; 01-22-2007 at 05:43 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama