Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2008, 08:19 AM

2 posts, read 6,648 times

Advertisements

I've been an Alabama resident for only two years, and I rarely strayed from Birmingham where I just finished my masters degree. As much as I have enjoyed that city, I am moving to Montgomery in August to work with the Alabama Department of Public Health.

I'm pretty unfamiliar with the area, so I'd like some suggestions regarding where to live. All I need is a one bedroom apartment or something similar. As far as geographic preference goes, I'd like to live either in Prattville/Millbrook due to the proximity to Birmingham (where my girlfriend will still be living), near the RSA tower downtown (because that's where ADPH is), or in the Garden District/Cloverdale-Idlewild/Old Cloverdale areas (based upon good things I've heard).

So...
1. Does anybody have any comments, positive or negative, about the areas I described above?
2. Does anybody have any suggestions or recommendations for apartments in any of the above areas?

All help is appreciated,

JLT
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2008, 08:09 PM

976 posts, read 2,681,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Epidemiologist View Post
I've been an Alabama resident for only two years, and I rarely strayed from Birmingham where I just finished my masters degree. As much as I have enjoyed that city, I am moving to Montgomery in August to work with the Alabama Department of Public Health.

I'm pretty unfamiliar with the area, so I'd like some suggestions regarding where to live. All I need is a one bedroom apartment or something similar. As far as geographic preference goes, I'd like to live either in Prattville/Millbrook due to the proximity to Birmingham (where my girlfriend will still be living), near the RSA tower downtown (because that's where ADPH is), or in the Garden District/Cloverdale-Idlewild/Old Cloverdale areas (based upon good things I've heard).

So...
1. Does anybody have any comments, positive or negative, about the areas I described above?
2. Does anybody have any suggestions or recommendations for apartments in any of the above areas?

All help is appreciated,

JLT
Montgomery has a forum. You will get more help there.
There aren't many people from Montgomery in this forum.

Old 07-22-2008, 08:40 PM

2 posts, read 6,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimpdaddy View Post
Montgomery has a forum. You will get more help there.
There aren't many people from Montgomery in this forum.
Thanks for the tip. Would you mind telling me exactly what this Montgomery forum is called? I'm assuming you're not referring to a thread on City-Data.

Old 07-23-2008, 07:49 AM

116 posts, read 524,578 times
You're going to have difficulties finding a place downtown (not impossible, just difficult). Old Cloverdale has apartments that you might want if you are looking for the feel of old style living. Most apartments\duplexes\quadraplexes there will be 40-80 years old or older, so don't rent anything sight unseen. The Garden District has crime problems, although I-65 does make it harder for the thugs to get there, some still lurk about.

Prattville and Millbrook are good places to look at. Even though they are close together, they are different, with Prattville being more urban and Millbrook more rural.

Old 07-26-2008, 05:20 PM

13 posts, read 54,445 times
old cloverdale is a great area with much character but like the last poster said, there are very old buildings so you actually need to drive around the area and look for yourself. There is a central area on Fairview near Huntingdon College that has businesses and restaurants/bars for play. It is the only thing comparable to birmingham's five points south area. The problem with cloverdale is that while it is a very charming area, pretty much everything else surrounding it is not so desirable. Prattville is a great option as it is a safe area and has many shopping options and restaurants, while mostly chain. Milbrook? hmmm...while it is growing i don't think it is anywhere near caught up with Prattville. I think the nicest apartment complex prattville has to offer is located behind the super wal mart.
I guess you can think of it this way...First, scale everything down, then compare to birmingham... Prattville is comparable to the nicer areas of Hoover, Cloverdale is comparable to highland area of southside. One is close to downtown, One requires jumping on the freeway to get to downtown. thats the best i can do
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama