Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2008, 08:09 AM

28,896 posts, read 53,991,004 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc76 View Post
Dixiecrats were generally known for the state's rights platform, opposition to the Fair Labor Standards Act that improved worker's rights and their extreme social conservatism. These people have been fully integrated into the Republican party today.
An uninformed opinion, if ever I heard one. In fact, it was quite the opposite with the entrenched power of the Democrats such as the Beasleys and the Folsoms sticking with the Democrats, while the Young Turks left.

If your post had any basis in reality, then why was it that Bob Riley pushed for tax reform and constitutional reform? Why was it Bob Riley who pushed to eliminate taxes on lower-income households? On the obverse, why has the still mostly-Democratic legislature refused to push through programs that make obvious sense such as Home Rule?

Old 11-01-2008, 10:26 AM

2,126 posts, read 6,782,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
An uninformed opinion, if ever I heard one. In fact, it was quite the opposite with the entrenched power of the Democrats such as the Beasleys and the Folsoms sticking with the Democrats, while the Young Turks left.

If your post had any basis in reality, then why was it that Bob Riley pushed for tax reform and constitutional reform? Why was it Bob Riley who pushed to eliminate taxes on lower-income households? On the obverse, why has the still mostly-Democratic legislature refused to push through programs that make obvious sense such as Home Rule?
I really don't appreciate the condescending tone. If you want to have a civil discussion, I'm all for it, but I'm not going to sling insults back and forth. I'm not talking about Bob Riley, I like Riley because IMO he is an example of a true Republican. He, however, is not representative of the direction the Republican party (particularly at the federal level) has gone in recent years. That is my opinion and that is the opinion of many moderate Republicans in this country right now.

Old 11-01-2008, 01:31 PM

Quote:
I really don't appreciate the condescending tone. If you want to have a civil discussion, I'm all for it, but I'm not going to sling insults back and forth. I'm not talking about Bob Riley, I like Riley because IMO he is an example of a true Republican. He, however, is not representative of the direction the Republican party (particularly at the federal level) has gone in recent years. That is my opinion and that is the opinion of many moderate Republicans in this country right now.
Well, a kneejerk response like yours deserved a rebuttal. Maybe it was a little harsh, but unfortunately your point fell within the scope of the "Republicans Are All Racists" bilge that self-important Democrats dish up.

If you're really on target with that, then where is Fob James? Where is Roy Moore? Where is Tim James? Where is Jeremiah Denton? Using your logic those Republicans, all to the right of Attilla the Hun, would be holding office today. But they're not. Heck, Tim James only managed to scrape together 3% of the vote the last time he ran. Roy Moore is back out in the political wilderness, most likely for good.

Old 11-01-2008, 02:21 PM

1,434 posts, read 3,958,915 times
Charles Barkley is a knucklehead.

Old 11-01-2008, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Jarrett View Post
Great basketball player, fun announcer. Probably a lousy politician.

Old 11-02-2008, 08:30 PM

24 posts, read 77,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Um. He's going to school there. Quit being a jerk.

I beg your pardon but if pennquaker09 would have explained his position more thoroughly instead of jumping on the "bashing bandwagon" there would not have been a problem. I for one have grown weary of outsiders informing Alabamians/Southerners of our backward ways. You will notice I feel the same about Barkley - if he truly cared about Alabama - he would reside in Alabama.

Those who live in glass houses should not throw stones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennquaker09 View Post
Well, I don't know the particulars of what he said, but truth be told, Alabama does need help. The senators are practically useless, the constitution is horrendous, I can go on . . .

Old 11-03-2008, 02:38 AM

1,654 posts, read 7,332,340 times
To be fair, Alabama isn't the only state in need of some modernization (if that is the appropriate term).

Old 11-29-2008, 11:13 AM

2,016 posts, read 5,568,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Jarrett View Post
"He's stupid. That's all I've got to say about that," Lebron James said Friday night before the Cavaliers' game against Golden State

Old 11-29-2008, 05:42 PM

Quote:
We're not talking about the Federal level. We're talking about the state levels. And given how the Democratic Party STILL holds a majority in the state legislature and how is STILL manages to block all kinds of meaningful reform from home rule to a new state constitution to ethics legislation, I'm really at a lot to understand what you're babbling on about.

Old 12-02-2008, 03:13 AM

23 posts, read 87,760 times
perhaps you should get out more,see and stay for some time in other states,read their papers,watch their news,consider their progress,the quality of their schools,and life in general.
Even the most proud Alabamian might go back home with a different attitude.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama