Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2008, 08:08 AM

202 posts, read 715,372 times

Advertisements

We love S. Alabama, especiallly Orange Beach, G. Shores, Ft. Morgan, and would love to retire to the general area in 10+ yrs., but have a severely developmentally delayed (12 yr. old) child. Are there any services/resources avail. to him/us as far as living assistance - in home help or assisted living housing for develop. delayed adults? When we retire he will be out of school - in his mid/late 20's.

Which areas would offer more support than others?

Any info. is greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2008, 08:35 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,197,572 times
Check here
The Arc of Alabama

Old 05-22-2008, 11:42 AM

Thanks Keeper. I'll definitely look into this.

Old 05-23-2008, 12:12 PM

763 posts, read 3,836,134 times
I am in the same boat....my daughter is 11 and ASD/MR.

Here is your game plan: Do these steps without deviation:

Linda....first - get your child tested by a PhD or MD. If he/she is mentally retarded or autistic (ASD), then have your physician write a letter to the Alabama Department of Mental Health and Mental Retardation on their letterhead, indicating the diagnosis. DO NOT have them mail the letter - have them give it to you.

Then, go to your local ADMHMR office and apply for a "Medicaid Home and Community Based Waiver" for your child, with a copy of the letter (keep original).

If you get your Medicaid waiver approved, Medicaid will fund 'in home' services for your child, such as Respite and Personal Care services.

The process of getting a Medicaid waiver approved used to be arduous but has gotten somewhat better lately.

If you encounter any problems, PM me for specific contact information at ADMHMR HQ in Montgomery who will help you.

Under law, your public school must educate your child to the greatest possible extent until they are not 18 - but 21. At the age of 20, they will be vocationally tested to see what sort of job they could hold. If they do deterimine that your child is employable, they will attempt to find them a job....

Old 05-23-2008, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bravo35223 View Post
I am in the same boat....my daughter is 11 and ASD/MR.

Here is your game plan: Do these steps without deviation:

Linda....first - get your child tested by a PhD or MD. If he/she is mentally retarded or autistic (ASD), then have your physician write a letter to the Alabama Department of Mental Health and Mental Retardation on their letterhead, indicating the diagnosis. DO NOT have them mail the letter - have them give it to you.

Then, go to your local ADMHMR office and apply for a "Medicaid Home and Community Based Waiver" for your child, with a copy of the letter (keep original).

If you get your Medicaid waiver approved, Medicaid will fund 'in home' services for your child, such as Respite and Personal Care services.

The process of getting a Medicaid waiver approved used to be arduous but has gotten somewhat better lately.

If you encounter any problems, PM me for specific contact information at ADMHMR HQ in Montgomery who will help you.

Under law, your public school must educate your child to the greatest possible extent until they are not 18 - but 21. At the age of 20, they will be vocationally tested to see what sort of job they could hold. If they do deterimine that your child is employable, they will attempt to find them a job....

Thanks Bravo35223 for the great info.! Do you know if there is a maximum income cut-off to receive Medicaid or other services through the state of AL?

Old 05-25-2008, 04:23 PM

763 posts, read 3,836,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaIL View Post
Thanks Bravo35223 for the great info.! Do you know if there is a maximum income cut-off to receive Medicaid or other services through the state of AL?
You are welcome....you are seeking a Medicaid WAIVER - which means that your income is not taken into consideration when putting your child into Medicaid eligibility. Medicaid exists for two reasons: to assist indigent people and to assist handicapped people.

Follow my steps carefully and stay in touch. The system is getting better. Get the diagnosis of MR or ASD on a physician's letterhead. This establishes eligibility under law. Then, visit your local ADMHMR office and put in your paperwork.

You can PM me at any time....I have some connections who may be able to help should you hit the wall...Governor Riley has done many good things for Alabama and one is reforming this agency....

Your friend....B

Old 05-25-2008, 05:35 PM

Thanks again B!!!! Your help is greatly appreicated! I will PM you if I need anything else!

Linda

Old 01-17-2009, 03:25 AM

1 posts, read 2,331 times
Question No Medicare Waiver for Autism without MR in AL?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bravo35223 View Post
You are welcome....you are seeking a Medicaid WAIVER - which means that your income is not taken into consideration when putting your child into Medicaid eligibility. Medicaid exists for two reasons: to assist indigent people and to assist handicapped people.

Follow my steps carefully and stay in touch. The system is getting better. Get the diagnosis of MR or ASD on a physician's letterhead. This establishes eligibility under law. Then, visit your local ADMHMR office and put in your paperwork.

You can PM me at any time....I have some connections who may be able to help should you hit the wall...Governor Riley has done many good things for Alabama and one is reforming this agency....

Your friend....B

I was under the impression that you could not get a medicare waiver in alabama for autism unless the child also qualifies as MR, is this still correct and do you think it will change in the near future?

Old 01-17-2009, 07:43 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,197,572 times
You may want to send Bravo a DM or an email, unfortunately he hasn't posted here in a while.. We miss him as he always provided such good info.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama