Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2007, 11:02 AM

12 posts, read 62,011 times

Advertisements

We are thinking of relocating to the Dothan area. Would like info on job availability for floor covering installers and RNs. How are schools in Dothan? (6th and 10th grade), and do you know of any good christian or private schools, preferable christian, that are affordable? We are thinking of living between Dothan and Blakely, GA and working and going to school in Dothan? Any suggestions for housing or land in that area and prices.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2007, 10:29 AM

6 posts, read 45,094 times
plenty of RN jobs we have 2 hospitals here. Flowers and Southwest Alabama medical. Schools I can nothelp you with my children are grown and I have only been here 2 years myself. but if you would like to send me a private Im I can tell you more of my own personal experiences

Old 06-14-2007, 03:23 PM

3 posts, read 15,795 times
I am from blakely and now live in dothan. PLease do yourself a favor and just move to dothan. you will get tired of coming here everyday for everything and then drivng back home. I love living in dothan. it is not too big, not too small and there is plenty to do. great for families. i would check out NMA or emmanual christian for private schools.There are others as well.

Old 06-14-2007, 09:29 PM

4 posts, read 25,098 times
We are from Blakely and I have to agree with emmabean13's recommendation to move to Dothan. Blakely is a charming small town, but it really doesn't have much to offer. And the drive on 52 to Dothan offers even less until you are actually in Dothan. There are some great areas right outside the town which are much better options (than Blakely) if you don't want the town of Dothan. Headland or Ozark may not be too bad (or at least somewhere in between Dothan and these towns).
Sorry I can't help with your question on schools.

Old 06-16-2007, 10:32 PM

942 posts, read 2,507,688 times
Hi,
I wanted to suggest that you go to allnurses.com and go under geographical location and then AL. You will find some posts about Dothan if you do a search. I don't know where you currently live, but wages at the local hospitals and patient ratios would probably be concerns of mine. We lived there many years ago and I was making $14.00/hr (about 1998). We then moved to El Paso, TX and I started at $19.50 (which was very low pay for the area but I had no idea since we had just moved from Al). The next year, I took another job in El Paso starting at $25/hr. I've also heard nurses get quite a few patients, although I would imagine that varies based on your specialty. Just a suggestion that you research wages carefully. We did enjoy living there and miss it at times, especially the property taxes. The people were very friendly, but perhaps a bit difficult to get to know more than superficially since so many of them were from the area and seemed to have family and long-term friends there. Housing was quite inexpensive, but appears to have gone up slightly. We would definately move back to the area if I didn't have to work there as a nurse. We have been back several times to visit and for hubby's training before he retired from the Army.

Old 11-15-2007, 09:45 PM

8 posts, read 27,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veljeaoq View Post
We are thinking of relocating to the Dothan area. Would like info on job availability for floor covering installers and RNs. How are schools in Dothan? (6th and 10th grade), and do you know of any good christian or private schools, preferable christian, that are affordable? We are thinking of living between Dothan and Blakely, GA and working and going to school in Dothan? Any suggestions for housing or land in that area and prices.
If you have already relocated here to Dothan,Al. I would really suggest not putting your child in Emanuel Christian School. I had to put my daughter in there because of how bad the public school was where I was zoned. I am not from Alabama.. I was born and raised in Panama City,Fl. and I was absolutely thrown by the school system here! There has been instances in the public school that my daughter was attending... where the teacher scared her so bad with a wooden paddle on the first day of school that she was an emotional wreck!

Alabama schools are old fashioned and believe that children are supposed to be spanked for every wrong! However they do offer a paper that you can sign saying that you do not want your child paddled but it still does not stop them from threatening it! The Christian Schools are worse! Atleast the 4 that I know of that I have personally visited. Emmanuel does not have paddling but the problem in that school is .....they have NO FUN... they treat there children like they are nuns and monks! My daughter got in trouble the first week there because she held hands with another little girl trying to make friends with her! She also got in trouble for tapping a boy's shoulder in line because they have a "no touch" rule! They expect alot out of the children ....and I do mean way too much and it puts alot of pressure on these kids ...they basically set them up to fail!

Then these poor kids are depressed! I see it everytwhere I go! I observe the children around Dothan,Al they all act like Robots and if they are not perfect they get spanked and if you pay close enough attention....you'll see that these children in this town are depressed! NOT ALL! but alot of them! I feel that it is the parents right to spank if need be ,not the school ...but Alabama's way of course is...they firmly stand on thier "policies" and I am so tired of hearing about "It's the way Alabama does it! ...I even had a teacher quote to me "spare the rod , spoil the child!" This was my daughters new 1rst grade teacher who had a nice wooden paddle in the closet in her classroom! She told me so!I even tried to talk to the Superintendent of the school board...did no justice... he's got the Alabama brainwash too! I even went as far as writing the Governor a letter about all of the issues in the schools..... He sent my information back to another superintendent.... It's all been a run around!!! Don't let me get into thier zoning rules and thier Tardy rules!! Oh My Gawd!!!! It is rediculous!!!
So if you are thinking about moving to Dothan, I have lived here only a little over a year and I am making plans to move the heck out now!!!! If you like, you can email me

Last edited by Keeper; 02-26-2008 at 02:56 PM.. Reason: removed email address

Old 11-16-2007, 08:30 AM

92 posts, read 466,882 times
We are dying to move out of FL. and go to Dothan. We viisted last month, becuase my husband is hoping to get on with Picerne at the post. I loved it. I am a FL. native and have had it with this place! I homeschool my 12 yr. old, and my son will be in eleventh next year. We may have to stay here (IF he even gets the job...) and let him finish school. One thing we do seem to have is better schooling. I just can't wait to get to a southern part of the U.S. (FL is no longer southern, in my opinion.) Rolling Country, kind people, sweet tea, fishing, hunting...oh, I just can't wait. I hope every day for a phone call from them saying to come on. Good luck, and if we end up moving I will try to contact you directly and see what you have found out and how you are doing.

Old 12-07-2007, 03:34 PM

3 posts, read 11,597 times
My children attended Emmanual for several years and we have nothing but good things to say about it. The only reason they aren't going there now is we had financial difficulties and could no longer afford it. If we could, they would still be there. The principal and teachers there really care for their students and only want the best for them. Rbayle, if your still looking for areas around here, send me an email and we will talk..

Last edited by Keeper; 02-26-2008 at 02:56 PM.. Reason: removed email address

Old 12-11-2007, 07:57 PM

8 posts, read 27,567 times
Well my Daughter is no longer going to Emanuel Christian school. I had take her out because the teacher there was mistreating her! She was showing alot of favortism between her and the other children there. There may be some nice teachers there and I do have some good things to say about the principal Mr.Redmond . But they need to get some younger and more patient 1rst grade teachers in there! My daughter was treated like an outkast and when I tried to talk with the teacher about some of my concerns and the teacher treated me like I had no place to question anything and in front of my little girl said," Well, I don't know why you have your kid in my class!" This hurt my little girl's feelings. She had a bad temper!

By the way Raydeemart, I am a church going girl and I am a Christian but I absolutely DO NOT Approve of punishing a child for acting like a child! Maybe they done things differently when your children went there but I had a very close watch at all times on the things that was going on there and they were way to hard on those little first graders! They wanted them and expected them to act like Nuns and Monks and not like normal , happy , Christian children! They basically set the rules so high that these children are set up to fail! I noticed that no matter how much I cheered my daughter on and supported her, she was really hard on her self! I'm sorry but they are giving Christianity a bad name! Their rediculous rules caused her to focus too much on not making the wrong move rather than learning about God, education,and bible verses! Mr. Redmond offered to put her in the other 1rst grade class which was exactly right next door and both 1rst grade classes do everything together so I decided there was no use in switching teachers.

I have come to find out that alot of schools around here are very old fashioned! Not to say that its bad or good. I don't feel either way about it! I think that there are both good and bad things about the old fashioned way. I also think that there are alot of Good and bad things that have come from the 21rst Century as well!

Like the law they past in Panama City,Fl. NO CORPORAL PUNISHMENT IN THE SCHOOLS!

One thing I don't understand is ...... Alabama allows spanking in the schools... complete strangers paddling our children!!!! but if you pick up a book on how to train your dog , it will state..... NO HITTING ! NEGATIVE ENFORCEMENT CREATES NEGATIVE RESULTS! IF YOU USE POSITIVE ENFORCEMENT ...YOU ARE SURE TO SEE POSITIVE RESULTS! Now, surely I know , and everyone reading this knows that our children deserve to be treated better than a dog right? So how come such a rule is passed? I think it is morally wrong and no offense but Alabama needs to stop being so narrow minded about things! STOP TREATING OUR CHILDREN LIKE THEY HAVE NO RIGHTS!!!! and stop treating us parents like WE HAVE NO SAY SO OVER OUR CHILDREN!

I wouldn't suggest anyone put there children in these schools unless they know what they are in for.

Oh! and if anyone agrees with some of things said in here or wants to sign my petition against Corporal Punishment , please email me at this email address jlestes84@aol.com Thanks !

Last edited by Jennypooh; 12-11-2007 at 08:06 PM..

Old 12-31-2007, 04:13 PM

4,301 posts, read 7,012,457 times
Dothan, Alabama is my hometown, however in the 1990's there were no real jobs that could support a family of 5. While I think Dothan is a perfect sized city, not too big not too small, there isn't really a lot supporting the town. Various industries have been leaving the town, and no new ones are attracted. (Montgomery, Mobile, and Opelika/Auburn suck up all the good industries nowadays).

A lot of truck drivers call Dothan home. Dothan used to be a major railroad hub as well, however recent years have basically destroyed its importance. (Dothan's failure to locate industrial sites near railroads has cost the city severely in the long run)

Dothan, rather, now relies on the medical fields, as well as all the new transplants for its money. Sprawl on the North and West side along the Ross Clark circle is basically what allows the city to prosper. Unfortunately, if that new I-10 connector (which might connect to Enterprise as opposed to Dothan) is built, it would make the town shrivel up to nothing. Since most of the business the city relies on is traffic on US231 and 431. A lot of Dothan's distinctive character comes from the distance from the Interstates.

Sorry, can't help with the schools.

Best of luck to you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama