U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-25-2007, 07:17 PM

2 posts, read 5,135 times

Advertisements

My family and I have lived in Montana for about two years and have finally realized that while we love the people and the scenery the wind is driving us batty, and we really miss being near family. My father was born and raised in georgia so we are looking for someplace in al close to cedartown and/or rome ga. My issue with the move is I am obsessed with horses and must have them in my life. I am strictly a western rider, barrel racing and roping and would like everyones opinion on the best place to look at, prefer rural areas within commuting distance to work! Also any opnions on schools and working wages I currently am making about 17/hr and would hope for something comparable-what are the local industries?Thanks
cntrigurl
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2007, 10:12 PM

1,021 posts, read 3,022,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cntrigurl View Post
My father was born and raised in georgia so we are looking for someplace in al close to cedartown and/or rome ga. ... prefer rural areas within commuting distance to work! Also any opnions on schools and working wages I currently am making about 17/hr and would hope for something comparable-
Cntrigurl, how close to Cedartown/Rome, Georgia would you need to be?

Anywhere within an hour of Northwest Georgia is going to be rural, don't worry. However, you would probably have to commute quite some distance -- to either Birmingham or Huntsville for those wages, depending upon your skills, talents and experience. Alabama is a beautiful state, but not known for high salaries. What types of work are you prepared to do?

For good schools and horse country, I would suggest White Plains in Calhoun County, Alabama outside of Anniston/Oxford. It's a wide valley with fertile bottom lands, many pastures and hayfields. That would put you about halfway between Birmingham, Alabama and Rome, Georgia -- a little closer to Cedartown.

Old 02-26-2007, 07:02 AM

346 posts, read 1,311,469 times
As horses are only part of the equation - what do you do professionally?

Old 02-26-2007, 01:22 PM

2 posts, read 5,135 times
well right now I work for a building material distribution company. I drive a forklift loading and unloading trucks. but I have also been an aircraft mechanic (military so no A&P license) and an aircraft parts clerk. We still need to save up for the move, all of us just kind of decided the other night that we want out of here! I know horses are only one part of the equation but depending on the cost of living differences I can take a pay cut if need to.

Old 02-26-2007, 01:39 PM

1,021 posts, read 3,022,382 times
Quote:
I drive a forklift loading and unloading trucks.
Try the FedEx distribution facility. There is also some kind of big grocery warehouse just off I-20 in Calhoun County that would employ experienced forklift operators, in the $12-$15.00 hr. range, so it's worth a try.

Old 02-28-2009, 09:12 PM

1 posts, read 2,218 times
I'm 18 miles from troy .Troy University is hiring also Lockheed Martin Sykorsky Helicopers, Smart Alabama its growing down here,,, What Recession?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama