U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-07-2009, 06:14 PM

372 posts, read 738,038 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
No. It is a facile and easily refuted point you're trying to make. I'll cut and past what I wrote on the Barkley thread where you wrote the same thing since it seems to obsess you so much:

Well, Chizik was the defensive coordinator at Auburn during its 2004 season, when it went undefeated and led the country in scoring defense. The next year, Chizik went to Texas and led their defense as the Longhorns had an undefeated championship season, which meant that his defenses went 33-34 games without a defeat.
I agree with Auburn's hiring of Chizik and I disagree with Barkley and others who share his point of view. People point out Chizik's five wins in the past two seasons at Iowa State without noting his outstanding recent success as a defensive coordinator for undefeated teams at Auburn and Texas. It seems like many of Chizik's detractors seem to think he had no prior experience before taking the Iowa State job. Iowa State is perhaps the most difficult coaching job in one of the two most competitive college football conferences.

Gill has done an excellent job at Buffalo, but he has been there only three seasons and he just finished one game over .500 (7-6) in the 2008-2009 season. His team got lucky in the MAC championship game because Ball State gave the game away with multiple turnovers, and Gill's team lost to an average Connecticut team in the International Bowl.

Some other coaches of non-BCS programs, such as Chris Petersen of Boise State (two undefeated regular seasons and a Fiesta Bowl win in 2007) and Kyle Winningham of Utah (undefeated with a Sugar Bowl win in 2009), have achieved even greater success than Gill has in the same period, yet they haven't moved onto jobs with schools in BCS conferences yet. It took Urban Meyer a total of four years at non-BCS schools (2 at Bowling Green and 2 at Utah) and one undefeated season with a Fiesta Bowl win in 2005 before he was offered the job at Florida.

In my opinion, Turner Gill will have an excellent coaching career, but it would appear to me that he should stay one for least one or two more years at Buffalo and establish that program as the best program in its conference and bowl game winner, just as Meyer, Winningham, and Petersen have done with Utah, Utah, and Boise State.

It also appears to me that if a Southern institution rejects a black candidate for an important position, like Auburn did with Gill, they are accused of racism, whereas if a Northern institution like Syracuse does the same thing, they don't get accused of racism. That is unfair to me and is a double-standard.

I wish both Chizik and Gill well. Perhaps Chizik will lead Auburn to the SEC championship next season, and Gill will lead Buffalo to an undefeated season and, as the best team from a non-BCS conference, qualify for a BCS bowl berth and play Auburn in that bowl .

Old 01-07-2009, 06:38 PM

25,087 posts, read 26,884,706 times
After that well-reasoned reply, I feel I owe you an apology. Lots of Auburn baiters lately. I misinterpreted your two postings on the matter.

Old 01-12-2009, 07:58 PM

812 posts, read 1,612,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Not too bad actually,

According to the 2003 Census, Alabama was positioned near the bottom with only 3.5 racists per 100 people:
Alabama 3.5
Alaska 9.7
Arizona 1.3
Arkansas 2.9
California 4.9
Colorado 0.8
Connecticut 2.7
Delaware 4.8
Florida 8.6
Georgia 6.7
Hawaii 1.3
Idaho 5.4
Illinois 0.6
Indiana 3.4
Iowa 2.0
Kansas 7.9
Kentucky 8.0
Louisiana 6.2
Maine 6.3
Maryland 9.3
Massachusetts 7.7
Michigan 1.3
Minnesota 0.6
Mississippi 8.5
Missouri 10.0
Montana 4.6
Nebraska 7.1
Nevada 9.1
New Hampshire 8.1
New Jersey 7.6
New Mexico 9.0
New York 0.5
North Carolina 1.6
North Dakota 3.5
Ohio 4.8
Oklahoma 7.8
Oregon 1.0
Pennsylvania 2.3
Rhode Island 4.8
South Carolina 8.6
South Dakota 4.7
Tennessee 1.1
Texas 2.2
Utah 8.0
Vermont 0.5
Virginia 5.0
Washington 7.7
West Virginia 3.6
Wisconsin 2.6
Wyoming 4.9
Interesting statistics. I agree with the above poster that stated racism is everywhere but demographics change and people move as well.

I remember in the 80's I lived in Kentucky, Tennessee, Alabama, North Carolina, florida and Upstate New York and spent a little time in san antonio.

The most racist state by far was alabama from personal experience followed by north carolina and florida.

Surprisingly I experienced no racism in Kentucky which was very friendly to me, not even one instance of dirty or condescending looks or slurs or ill-treatment. Same goes for upstate New York, absolutely zero prejudicial experiences subtle or overt even though there were few asians. Tennessee was fairly friendly too and san antonio.

By far alabama openly racist followed by north carolina more passive-aggressively. The second, more underhanded. Florida had a mix of southern and northern transplants so a mix of racism from some and indifference from some.

Overall, back then (i can't speak for the demographics now) upstate new york or possibly just the whole far north were much more humane in treating others. If you treated them well, they returned it. Can't say the same for many southerners.

I suspect most of the U.S. is racist but tennessee and kentucky were the nicest southern states i experienced. I don't know about lousiana, mississipi or south carolina.

Old 01-12-2009, 08:38 PM

26,362 posts, read 55,197,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leaana View Post
Interesting statistics. I agree with the above poster that stated racism is everywhere but demographics change and people move as well.

You may be more racist than you think, study says - CNN.com

Old 01-12-2009, 09:56 PM

1,435 posts, read 2,674,219 times
Quote:
So yes, there is prejudice and it goes both ways, the difference is white people tend to be quieter about it, and black people tend to be "in your face" about it.
I remember one time I was riding the public bus in Dallas and a crazy homeless Black man got on. He sat at the very front of the bus and he started saying what the "F" you looking at Cracka everytime a White person got on the bus. The bus driver who was a White man himself eventually stopped the bus and told the guy to get out or else he would call the cops. So the homeless man got up and left the bus but not before throwing in one more last racial epithet.

Old 01-14-2009, 01:27 PM

173 posts, read 385,519 times
As long as there is ignorance, there will be prejudice. I have a cabin in Pennsylvania and I see more racism there than I do here in AL. I just don't see it here. I know it's here, but because of the circles I tend to run in, I don't see it.

Old 01-15-2009, 04:20 AM

4 posts, read 22,888 times
Millbrook - I haven't been here 7 days and it is off the frick'n chain. The total opposite of the crooked montgomery alabama.

the people are totally like night and day compared to montgomery. with Millbrook being the day.

I feel like Truman - Jim Carrey movie.
It's like the whole city has a secret organization focused on me.
Trying to make me think there is a place like wonderland.
Well ......

I'm tak'n this ride. Millbrook is like a place GOD has his finger on and keeping it hidden for his elite only.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama