U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Do you think the Southern Slang and Accent Is Disappearing in Alabama?
Yes 20 27.03%
No 54 72.97%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-31-2009, 05:56 PM
 
Location: Las Flores, Orange County, CA
26,347 posts, read 77,200,353 times
Reputation: 17265

Advertisements

We've been in our neighborhood since August and we've met three other couples with kids. When they spoke I asked them where they were from because they didn't have a southern accent. Turns out they are all from Huntsville (two attended Grissom and they are in their early-mid 30s).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-31-2009, 05:57 PM
 
4,613 posts, read 5,768,476 times
Reputation: 3814
Default Floribama?

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
If I go north I may try to sound a little less southern, but when I'm on my turf I'm not going to change my accent to please anyone.

Hi,
I live in Atlanta and am curious what the Floribama location means. We lived in FL but in South Fl and I've never heard this term before. Can you enlighten me?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-31-2009, 08:40 PM
 
Location: Floribama
11,921 posts, read 26,963,986 times
Reputation: 9334
Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
Hi,
I live in Atlanta and am curious what the Floribama location means. We lived in FL but in South Fl and I've never heard this term before. Can you enlighten me?
I use the term because I live on the Alabama/Florida state line. In fact, my southern accent is described as "Florida cracker".

Southern American English - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

There was also a club down on the beach (state line) called 'The Flora-Bama', but it was pretty much destroyed during hurricane Ivan.

Flora-Bama - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-31-2009, 10:21 PM
 
896 posts, read 2,133,117 times
Reputation: 349
Alabama has diffferent accents throughout the state.The people in Mobile or gulf coast speak a certain way.The Montgomery and Birmingham region have similiar accents.Northern Alabama and lower Tennessee are similiar.In south Alabama you really hear that Old south accent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-01-2009, 02:21 PM
 
Location: Alabama!
5,705 posts, read 14,777,862 times
Reputation: 4014
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
There was also a club down on the beach (state line) called 'The Flora-Bama', but it was pretty much destroyed during hurricane Ivan.

Flora-Bama - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
They're still there, sitting on the Florida-Alabama state line. Everybody jokes about how the hurricane blew through and did $1 million of improvements!
Here's their Web site: Flora-Bama Lounge and Package Perdido Key Florida
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-01-2009, 05:34 PM
 
Location: Floribama
11,921 posts, read 26,963,986 times
Reputation: 9334
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southlander View Post
They're still there, sitting on the Florida-Alabama state line. Everybody jokes about how the hurricane blew through and did $1 million of improvements!
Here's their Web site: Flora-Bama Lounge and Package Perdido Key Florida
I don't think it's anything like what it used to be. I haven't been down there since Ivan hit, I need to drive down there one day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-01-2009, 06:34 PM
 
8,862 posts, read 13,578,283 times
Reputation: 2280
LOL--as much as you guys hate to hear it--as long as you are next door to Atlanta the less Southern you will be.

Ducking and Running.

~~
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-01-2009, 10:03 PM
 
Location: Arkadelphia,Arkansas
799 posts, read 2,096,368 times
Reputation: 290
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
If I go north I may try to sound a little less southern, but when I'm on my turf I'm not going to change my accent to please anyone.
Or do like me: Don't go up North!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-02-2009, 12:05 PM
 
Location: Albany, Ny
4 posts, read 16,477 times
Reputation: 12
The accent is great dont loses it...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-02-2009, 01:18 PM
 
Location: Alabama!
5,705 posts, read 14,777,862 times
Reputation: 4014
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
I don't think it's anything like what it used to be. I haven't been down there since Ivan hit, I need to drive down there one day.
True. It's a miracle it's still there! God taking care of drunks and children?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeAhike View Post
LOL--as much as you guys hate to hear it--as long as you are next door to Atlanta the less Southern you will be. Ducking and Running. ~~
Not sure where this person's head is...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top