Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you think the Southern Slang and Accent Is Disappearing in Alabama?
Yes 20 27.03%
No 54 72.97%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2009, 01:08 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,215,585 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southlander View Post
This would be the British accent that was current during Shakespeare's time.

Who said the Western accent is "standard?" I've heard Midwestern accents referred to as a type of "standard" because they're prevalent among TV announcers.

But again...who said what is standard?
The people in charge of accents, of course!

Probably because its easy to understand, widely used, and then TV anchors use it across the country. I've never heard a news anchor person speak with a thick, southern accent before, or strong Brooklyn accent, or Minnesota accent. They all sound the same, which is the dominant accent in the West.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2009, 11:43 AM

4,995 posts, read 9,143,305 times
I agree the western accents are nutural so I wouldn`t say they have accents realy.

Old 03-14-2009, 09:50 PM

17,998 posts, read 9,056,190 times
When I went on a class trip a few years back to Huntsville( I am from Indiana) I was expecting to hear "deep" Southern/Slang accent but was somewhat dissappointed to barely hear it during my stay down there.

Old 03-15-2009, 01:00 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,767,122 times
I'm in Huntsville right now, and the southern accent is here and strong.

Old 03-21-2009, 03:15 PM

62 posts, read 173,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MobileBornAnraised View Post
the southern accent is not dying. I think some are thicker then others but maybe some southerners are to southern to hear southern accent.(when my oldest son was little we called him forrest as in "Gump" because when he talked he sounded like the little boy that played forrest. Now he is almost grown we dont notice him havin a accent. All 3 of my kids have accents and manners. whats starting to die and is missing from the southern way of life seems to be kids with manners. Grandma's peach tree switch anyone? lol
Lol Aman to the peach tree switch

Old 03-21-2009, 03:22 PM

62 posts, read 173,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
Oregon and Washington don't have their own accent. They're included in the Western Dialect that stretces from San Diego to Seattle to Denver and Albuquerque. I've never heard anyone dislike it though, as it's considered standard American English!

I can think of one time when someone commented on my accent in the South (being from Denver/Southern California) and a womand said to us, "Y'all must be from the North the way ya'll talk so pre-sahs".

Personally I find some southern accents to be eloquent, while others, especially the "back woods hick" accents that rip apart the English language to be annoying - especially because they're difficult to understand. I don't like North Carolina accents either, the way they would stay, "Right, Fight, Might" like "Rot, Fought, Mot".
Nobody can help how they pronounce their words especially if you have a Southern accent, so yea sometimes they may be difficult to understand but don't call it annoying. Heck all you got was a comment from her well I live in Mi now and I'm from Tx when I first moved here my boyfriends family made fun of my accent all the time, they sounded to proper for me and I sounded too Texan for them and they still talk about me till this day.

Old 11-15-2010, 09:19 AM

7 posts, read 20,485 times
Southern accent is alive and well in Alabama. On the local tv stations that's basically what you hear is folks with the southern accent during the local commercials. I highly doubt the southern accent will ever leave Alabama. Most of our neighbors sounded southern and some I could not even make out what they say half of the time. The only ones that didn't sound southern was our family and a family from another country. We didn't sound southern because we aren't from the south but after recently moving within a couple miles of my home state I hear some southern words out of my folks. lol

Old 11-15-2010, 07:12 PM

247 posts, read 1,115,145 times
I've lived in Alabama all my life and I would definately say that no, the southern accent isn't dying. What it's doing is changing. Most southern accents we hear today are not the one's that many people traditionally think of. Here's an example :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6BTFYA7YC8 The Howell Heflin type accent is largly a thing of the past. The only people I ever hear speaking it are very elderly, well educated, well off people. The much more common southern accent today is the Rick and Bubba type accent:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JcUNXWaR-KE

Old 11-15-2010, 08:27 PM

231 posts, read 595,259 times
Default Southern slang

Depends on the area. I grew up in central Alabama. After I had lived in the City for a few years, I had difficulty understanding people when I went back for a visit

Old 11-15-2010, 08:28 PM

213 posts, read 403,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenKarber View Post
I hope the accent doesn't disappear! I can't stand people trying not to sound southern! Don't be ashamed of who you are and where you come from!
Agree wholeheartedly! I think a southern accent can be charming and beguiling, and though I am a transplant to the South (so don't have an accent), I think anyone who mocks the way southerners talk does so out of ignorance.

An elderly lady friend of mine was born and raised in Birmingham and has the most gracious and soft-sounding southern accent you could ever hope for. She was riding on a train down the east coast, returning from Massachusetts to Alabama.

She sat down in the dining car, and a very well-dressed, yuppyish couple was sitting across the aisle from her. They were talking loud enough that everyone around could hear them. It appeared that they were from California.

Anyway, they were talking about how awful the South and southerners are. When the waiter came to take her order, my friend made it a point to give her order in her proudest accent at a volume those people could clearly hear. Their response? They looked over at her and attempting to whisper to each other said, "My god, there's one of them over there." She could still clearly hear them.

Being totally well-mannered, my friend just looked over and smiled sweetly at them, not saying another word. They pretty much shut up after that, and my friend enjoyed her meal and got up and left.

Fortunately, she got a lot of laughs relating the incident to her fellow degenerate southerners.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama