Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2009, 11:27 AM

15,861 posts, read 21,441,250 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
Maybe we should dress someone up in camo pants and a rebel flag t-shirt and send them to a restaurant in a tolerant state like Massachusetts. They'd probably burn him at the stake.
You've never been to Western Mass, have you?

Old 02-10-2009, 11:58 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,612,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
You've never been to Western Mass, have you?
You're right, I was mostly referring to the liberal Boston area.

Old 02-10-2009, 01:02 PM

78,409 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:
Maybe we should dress someone up in camo pants and a rebel flag t-shirt and send them to a restaurant in a tolerant state like Massachusetts. They'd probably burn him at the stake.
Yes, but that's only because thier views are *correct*. It's amazing how many people demand tolerance for alternative views but only if they agree with their own.

Old 02-10-2009, 01:34 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,706,419 times
i wonder what the reaction would have been if the town wasn't named "Arab". I can imagine the good people of that town have had plenty of time to think about and come to terms with their inadvertent namesake relationship to the Middle East in a way that most small towns haven't.

Glad to see things went well, though.

Old 02-10-2009, 07:52 PM

30,353 posts, read 51,942,966 times
Quote:
Nah... even here in San Francisco we often see people dressed like that, and they're never being burned at the stake. When you live in a large, diverse city, it doesn't matter what you look like - we've undoubtedly seen it before, and won't even bat an eyelash. Liberal or conservative, that probably goes for any big city. And for the record, my family is from the Boston area, and I doubt they would care about camo pants & a rebel-flag shirt either.

Btw, sorry to bust in on your forum, but the thread title caught my attention - very interesting experiment and outcome! I think further study would be needed, perhaps with a more well thought-out plan... still pretty interesting, though.

Old 02-12-2009, 12:03 PM

64 posts, read 234,323 times
I don't see what is upsetting everyone? I saw the original report on CNN and it didn't seem biased to me. The report explained that this is a sociological experiment and was not only done in Arab, AL, but in other areas of the US as well. I am sure that one experiment was reported on because it was supposedly a Muslim going to a town in Alabama called Arab. I didn't feel the actual report was biased. I did view the IReport video that was posted here. This IReport was done by the people doing the experiment and just posted on CNN. It wasn't done by CNN reporters. Anyway, whether it was done by CNN reporters or the people running the project, it does show their prejudices and also prejudices that many people that don't live in Alabama have about Alabama. But, in the end, the IReporters do acknowledge they were wrong and that Arab isn't prejudiced, etc.
I thought the story proved that Arab and Alabama is accommodating to all and not as some non-Alabamians may perceive us.

Old 02-12-2009, 04:08 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,157,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SammieS View Post
I don't see what is upsetting everyone? I saw the original report on CNN and it didn't seem biased to me. The report explained that this is a sociological experiment and was not only done in Arab, AL, but in other areas of the US as well. I am sure that one experiment was reported on because it was supposedly a Muslim going to a town in Alabama called Arab. I didn't feel the actual report was biased. I did view the IReport video that was posted here. This IReport was done by the people doing the experiment and just posted on CNN. It wasn't done by CNN reporters. Anyway, whether it was done by CNN reporters or the people running the project, it does show their prejudices and also prejudices that many people that don't live in Alabama have about Alabama. But, in the end, the IReporters do acknowledge they were wrong and that Arab isn't prejudiced, etc.
I thought the story proved that Arab and Alabama is accommodating to all and not as some non-Alabamians may perceive us.
That's nice. But I don't think you realize that the entire premise behind the report was insulting, namely that the good people of Arab are virulent bigots, so much so that a woman in Muslim garb could not wander into a restaurant without mayhem breaking out immediately.

After all, what did the woman say at the beginning? "I hope no one gets violent." As in, "I hope these inbred subhumans don't live up to our expectations."

Then, at the end, the professor goes on some windy, condescending oration that basically said, "Wow, the people of Arab didn't erupt into violent outrage when confronted with somebody different from them. Gosh, we were treated politely and like actual human beings. Who would have thought it of these people?" Even with the most generous possible interpretation, it's a backhanded compliment if ever I've heard one.

Old 02-14-2009, 08:41 PM

91 posts, read 311,345 times
Lets take a skoal dipping white boy with camo pants a john deere hat and a t shirt that says "Southern by the Grace of God" on it and drop him into the predominantly black "hoods" and let him go to eateries etc and then say something like

"those blacks astounded us by not robbing and beating the white boy as we expected"

the liberal scream would be heard clear across the nation.

and people wonder why southerners treat northerners etc with suspicion and contempt

Old 02-15-2009, 09:29 AM

384 posts, read 1,581,289 times
The Atlanta media, whether it is CNN or the Journal-Constitution, delights in painting Alabama as the epitome of "rural Southern backwardness," as the foil for their "progressive, diverse, beloved Atlanta."
It has been this way for years.

Old 02-15-2009, 10:05 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alatex View Post
The Atlanta media, whether it is CNN or the Journal-Constitution, delights in painting Alabama as the epitome of "rural Southern backwardness," as the foil for their "progressive, diverse, beloved Atlanta."
It has been this way for years.
Any examples?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama