Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2007, 09:26 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,191,933 times

Advertisements

Gulf Shores is about 5 hours, Pensacola is 6 hours, Destin is 6 hours and Panama City 7 hours (MOL)

They all have great beaches and are family friendly.

I would try Gulf Shores, the seafood is wonderful there. Go to LuLu's for a Key West feeling.. (owned by Jimmy Buffets sister), The drug store with the soda fountain in Foley, the zoo and the fort at Gulf Shores and then take a ferry ride to Dauphin Island to check out the fort there. Drive to Fairhope and visit the quaint little shops downtown, take a drive along the bay or a walk on the pier, and be sure to go to Wolf's bay lodge for seafood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2007, 10:34 AM

85 posts, read 524,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeper View Post
Gulf Shores is about 5 hours, Pensacola is 6 hours, Destin is 6 hours and Panama City 7 hours (MOL)

They all have great beaches and are family friendly.

I would try Gulf Shores, the seafood is wonderful there. Go to LuLu's for a Key West feeling.. (owned by Jimmy Buffets sister), The drug store with the soda fountain in Foley, the zoo and the fort at Gulf Shores and then take a ferry ride to Dauphin Island to check out the fort there. Drive to Fairhope and visit the quaint little shops downtown, take a drive along the bay or a walk on the pier, and be sure to go to Wolf's bay lodge for seafood.
Lulu's has atmosphere and poor food.
Ignore the other suggestions unless you are 80.
Wolf bay lodge...whatever.
Go to Panama City Beach.They know how to devlop a beach.Gulf Shores is for the Silver Foxes.

Old 03-27-2007, 02:28 PM

275 posts, read 1,288,669 times
I'm only 31...but I could go either way. I'm a family guy though and any partying would be done with the wife....low key.

Old 03-28-2007, 07:49 AM

1,562 posts, read 2,794,780 times
Default More Gulf Shores

The "water park" in Gulf Shores is Waterville Amusement and Water Park (they have a website) and covers 20 acres--a place where youngsters of any age can spend an entire day. Fish off the pier at the Gulf State Park if your kids like fishing. Take in the Bon Secour National Wildlife Refuge and Bird Sanctuary off Morgan Beach Road if you're a nature lover or into birding...they also have a website and offer guided tours (by reservation I think). Drive deep into Bon Secour community and see the working shrimp boats docked on the Bon Secour River. Maybe let the kids snag a few crabs off the bank while your down there, then pick up some fresh seafood at Billy's if you've got cooking facilities where you're staying. If the silver queen corn is in, get some of that too...it's wonderful and you can ask around to find where to buy it on the farm fresh from the stalk. Do try to work the Wolf Bay Lodge trip in to your schedule--go for a lunch in the bar...the kids can eat in there with you...and get the cheeseburgers and gumbo (the small bowl unless you are very large and very hungry!). The beach is lovely--as is Destin's also--with the winds and tides and critter migrations determine which is more beautiful on any given day.

I love Gulf Shores...it's very family oriented and my 30-year old kids still love it to this day.

Last edited by nalabama; 03-28-2007 at 07:50 AM.. Reason: typos

Old 03-28-2007, 12:35 PM

85 posts, read 524,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nalabama View Post
The "water park" in Gulf Shores is Waterville Amusement and Water Park (they have a website) and covers 20 acres--a place where youngsters of any age can spend an entire day. Fish off the pier at the Gulf State Park if your kids like fishing. Take in the Bon Secour National Wildlife Refuge and Bird Sanctuary off Morgan Beach Road if you're a nature lover or into birding...they also have a website and offer guided tours (by reservation I think). Drive deep into Bon Secour community and see the working shrimp boats docked on the Bon Secour River. Maybe let the kids snag a few crabs off the bank while your down there, then pick up some fresh seafood at Billy's if you've got cooking facilities where you're staying. If the silver queen corn is in, get some of that too...it's wonderful and you can ask around to find where to buy it on the farm fresh from the stalk. Do try to work the Wolf Bay Lodge trip in to your schedule--go for a lunch in the bar...the kids can eat in there with you...and get the cheeseburgers and gumbo (the small bowl unless you are very large and very hungry!). The beach is lovely--as is Destin's also--with the winds and tides and critter migrations determine which is more beautiful on any given day.

I love Gulf Shores...it's very family oriented and my 30-year old kids still love it to this day.
The pier was destroyed by Katrina 2005.
Bon Secour is a little fishing village.No one would wan't to go there unless they were a shrimper for a living and there are 100's seafood places closer than Billy's.Snagging crab's on the shore ,please.
Gulf Shores is one place for a family to have fun. Look up condo or house rentals in Gulf Shores, Pensacola Beach ,Destin or Panama City beach(which are reasonable) pick a place on the beach and stay there...on the beach.You do not have to drive all over Baldwin county hunting corn ,crabs etc.Sorry if this sounds like I'm shooting this quote down but I do not like people relying on false or outdated info if I know better.You can't go wrong anywhere from Gulf Shores to Panama City.Good Luck.

Last edited by duncan st clair; 03-28-2007 at 12:47 PM..

Old 03-28-2007, 02:05 PM

Thanks guys for the varied opinions, it's what makes this thing so great!

Old 03-28-2007, 03:37 PM

I have eaten at LuLu's and my food was good. My sister and her teenagers all like to go to Wolf's Bay Lodge for seafood and they live near Foley just so you know even residents like to eat there. I think the point is we all have different likes and dislikes when it comes to what we like to do while vacationing. Nalabama and I are just stating the things we liked to do when we are there and if you are not a resident then you may not know how to find the things mentioned in the post without driving around a little.
You can check out the website http://www.gulfshores.com/default.asp
to see what tickles your fancy.

Last edited by Keeper; 03-28-2007 at 03:48 PM.. Reason: website added

Old 03-28-2007, 03:43 PM

By the way I'm a big Parrot Head so LuLu's is a MUST!!

Old 03-28-2007, 04:07 PM

Jimmy does visit that area but I can't say I know for sure he goes to LuLu's but I do know he goes to a pizza place in Daphne when he is in town visiting his family. I think it is owned by one of his HS buddies but I could be wrong about that I just know he has been seen there

Old 03-28-2007, 06:46 PM

280 posts, read 686,467 times
We went to Gulf Shores last spring and I loved it. Thought it was beautiful, not a bunch of crazy college kids, etc... Visited the zoo, shopping a lot of eating a place for the kids with go-cart, bumper boats, etc... It was great especially for families with small kids. The beach was clean and gorgeous!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama