U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
 
Old 03-21-2009, 09:08 AM
 
Location: Foothills of the Appalachians
440 posts, read 1,654,047 times
Reputation: 164
Default Scoop on Mentone

Ok, it's been so many years since I have been to Mentone -- can't even remember it because it's been that long! I am originally from an area not too far away but never spent time up there.

Can anyone give us the skinny on Mentone today? What's it really like to live there .... political climate, jobs, neighbors, crime, etc.

Oh, and is there sulpher water?

Thanks in advance!
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-21-2009, 06:04 PM
 
314 posts, read 680,446 times
Reputation: 374
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bohemians View Post
Ok, it's been so many years since I have been to Mentone -- can't even remember it because it's been that long! I am originally from an area not too far away but never spent time up there.

Can anyone give us the skinny on Mentone today? What's it really like to live there .... political climate, jobs, neighbors, crime, etc.

Oh, and is there sulpher water?

Thanks in advance!
We've been here for about three years, bought some property and built a home. We are not from this area originally, but moved away from crazy Florida. There's been a lot of developing, mostly cabins--some of which are full time, some are rentals.

There's not much in the way of jobs, unless it's something with one of the local merchants. I suspect most residents work in Ft. Payne or drive elsewhere. We like our neighbors and most everyone is very friendly. Don't know about crime, haven't heard of any; but I'm sure there are some thefts and such. Haven't been bothered at all. Several restaurants in Mentone and closeby, and good ones, too.

No sulphur in the water, at least with Mentone water supply, which we use. We also have a deep well, and it's high in iron--to be expected, of course, on this mountain.

Overall, Mentone is a nice place to call home. We love where we are located, it's very quiet and the deer come into our yard to feed. If you need more information, just DM me and I 'll help as much as I can.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-21-2009, 07:58 PM
 
Location: Tuscaloosa, Alabama
234 posts, read 427,358 times
Reputation: 101
I love Mentone! It's like a much smaller Gatlinburg. It's beautiful up there. As far as I know, it's got a pretty good quality of life with a low crime rate. No telling how jobs are doing, Fort Payne has lost a few, but Huntsville and Scottsboro are still nearby.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-24-2009, 05:03 PM
 
Location: Foothills of the Appalachians
440 posts, read 1,654,047 times
Reputation: 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ynot View Post
We've been here for about three years, bought some property and built a home. We are not from this area originally, but moved away from crazy Florida. There's been a lot of developing, mostly cabins--some of which are full time, some are rentals.

There's not much in the way of jobs, unless it's something with one of the local merchants. I suspect most residents work in Ft. Payne or drive elsewhere. We like our neighbors and most everyone is very friendly. Don't know about crime, haven't heard of any; but I'm sure there are some thefts and such. Haven't been bothered at all. Several restaurants in Mentone and closeby, and good ones, too.

No sulphur in the water, at least with Mentone water supply, which we use. We also have a deep well, and it's high in iron--to be expected, of course, on this mountain.

Overall, Mentone is a nice place to call home. We love where we are located, it's very quiet and the deer come into our yard to feed. If you need more information, just DM me and I 'll help as much as I can.
It sounds lovely. Thanks so much for taking the time to share information with us. We are still considering the area and hope to take a drive up sometime real soon. The biggest concern is employment. Do people drive to Chattanooga for work?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-24-2009, 05:04 PM
 
Location: Foothills of the Appalachians
440 posts, read 1,654,047 times
Reputation: 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by sedriskell View Post
I love Mentone! It's like a much smaller Gatlinburg. It's beautiful up there. As far as I know, it's got a pretty good quality of life with a low crime rate. No telling how jobs are doing, Fort Payne has lost a few, but Huntsville and Scottsboro are still nearby.
Thanks for your input. It seems promising. Huntsville seems like it would be quite a drive ... but we need to know that there is work available somewhere.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-24-2009, 08:05 PM
 
Location: Fort Payne Alabama
739 posts, read 607,199 times
Reputation: 1160
Just a note, Dekalb County's unemployment rate is 9.8% and growing. Right now there are no hopes in turning it around. There are quite a few folks that drive to Chattanooga but the job prospects are not the greatest there either.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-24-2009, 08:32 PM
 
Location: Tuscaloosa, Alabama
234 posts, read 427,358 times
Reputation: 101
Yea, the only problem is employment. If you think driving to Huntsville is a bit much, then Chatty would be too. The drive to Gadsden isn't terrible, but their employment isn't great either. You might want to look for jobs in Marshall county, they've got a pretty strong economy over there, with a great deal of growth.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-25-2009, 05:28 PM
 
13,519 posts, read 22,160,478 times
Reputation: 9844
Ppl do drive to Chatty for work from that area especially with so many factories closing in Ft Payne. IIRC many found jobs at the new VW plant in Chatty.

What type of work are you looking for?

Marshall county is pretty especially Lake Guntersville, I live in Arab and I love to drive down the mountain and see the lake below but then I live there so I might be prejudiced..
__________________
"
You think dogs will not be in heaven? I tell you, they will be there long before any of us.
Robert Louis Stevenson

********************************
Post link not copyrighted material
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-29-2009, 02:55 PM
 
Location: MO Ozarkian in NE Hoosierana
4,679 posts, read 7,624,269 times
Reputation: 6742
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ynot View Post
We've been here for about three years, bought some property and built a home. We are not from this area originally, but moved away from crazy Florida. There's been a lot of developing, mostly cabins--some of which are full time, some are rentals.

There's not much in the way of jobs, unless it's something with one of the local merchants. I suspect most residents work in Ft. Payne or drive elsewhere. We like our neighbors and most everyone is very friendly. Don't know about crime, haven't heard of any; but I'm sure there are some thefts and such. Haven't been bothered at all. Several restaurants in Mentone and closeby, and good ones, too.

No sulphur in the water, at least with Mentone water supply, which we use. We also have a deep well, and it's high in iron--to be expected, of course, on this mountain.

Overall, Mentone is a nice place to call home. We love where we are located, it's very quiet and the deer come into our yard to feed. If you need more information, just DM me and I 'll help as much as I can.
Good post... Enjoyed living in that area [other side of the valley, on Sand Mtn], and miss visiting the beautiful scenery and great people.
Heard that the greatest catfish place on the mountain closed down? Use to take visitors there
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top