Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2010, 08:25 AM

2 posts, read 6,003 times

Advertisements

When a 'southerner' says "I swanee", it means "I Swear!" --- but, we women and girls were expected to be 'ladies' at ALL times and we could NOT cuss like the men. Hence, the colloquialism of our 'Southern' informal spoken language (as distinct from formal or literary English) that was/is different than a Yankee's language (which was typically more profane or vulgar to a lady's delicate ears).

I was born in Texas, but my ancestors were from MA., and CT. on the 'Yankee' side, and my southern side of the family was from KY., TN., AL., MS., AR. and OK., and many Native Americans along the trail.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2010, 08:42 AM

2 posts, read 6,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southlander View Post
Maybe because of your spelling?
I believe Southlander made a typo error. The cuss words should read as "HOT Damn!" That was what the men said instead of the ladies' version of "I swanne" (I Swear).

Old 07-04-2010, 11:16 AM

6 posts, read 81,858 times
I read almost all the pages and this was hilarious...

One I didn't see was "Jaeatyet?" Commonly heard if someone shows up at your house during supper or right after as a way of offering them something to eat.

I actually know ppl who say "knowed" and "throwed" instead of knew or threw. Or, he "learned" me how to do it instead of taught.

And I have to correct the pp who said southerners don't serve breakfast in their homes. The majority of the most country folk I know do cook breakfast, very early, complete with homemade biscuits and gravy and usually eggs and a meat too. Especially if the woman stays home.

Others I didn't see:
Whatcha know good?
He ain't gotta pot to p*ss in.
They're living high on the hog.
You can talk til the cows come home but I ain't doing it.
Sh*t far (fire) and save matches!
She got beat with the ugly stick.

The best ones that get Northerners that I have been around is nekkid and--I didn't see this one but it's great--Don't drink that milk, it's RURNT!

Old 07-04-2010, 06:02 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,596,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by avecar10 View Post
Whatcha know good?
^This one is common where I live.

Old 07-04-2010, 06:16 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,772,850 times
Some people call spoiled kids rurnt.

Old 07-08-2010, 09:13 PM

247 posts, read 1,115,374 times
It's been a while since I've heard this one but I heard it today. "Nonka" meaning no. I've also heard Onka.

Last edited by HipLib; 07-08-2010 at 09:17 PM.. Reason: misspelling

Old 07-09-2010, 04:37 AM

1,885 posts, read 3,401,148 times
LMAO @ rurnt. I haven't heard that in years. I never knew what it meant when I did hear it until now lol. Surely this has been mentioned but finna; as in I'm finna go. Very deep south!

Old 07-09-2010, 06:17 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,187,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by avecar10 View Post
I read almost all the pages and this was hilarious...

One I didn't see was "Jaeatyet?" Commonly heard if someone shows up at your house during supper or right after as a way of offering them something to eat.

I actually know ppl who say "knowed" and "throwed" instead of knew or threw. Or, he "learned" me how to do it instead of taught.

And I have to correct the pp who said southerners don't serve breakfast in their homes. The majority of the most country folk I know do cook breakfast, very early, complete with homemade biscuits and gravy and usually eggs and a meat too. Especially if the woman stays home.

Others I didn't see:
Whatcha know good?
He ain't gotta pot to p*ss in.
They're living high on the hog.
You can talk til the cows come home but I ain't doing it.
Sh*t far (fire) and save matches!
She got beat with the ugly stick.

The best ones that get Northerners that I have been around is nekkid and--I didn't see this one but it's great--Don't drink that milk, it's RURNT!

Regarding---------He ain't gotta pot to p#ss in.

Probably not so much a southern thing. I heard that phrase a lot growing up in rural central Minnesota in the 1950's. Still hear it today in central Minnesota.

Old 07-09-2010, 07:40 AM

6,048 posts, read 18,420,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATL_Aficionado View Post
Surely this has been mentioned but finna; as in I'm finna go. Very deep south!
"Fixin' to go." Slurred a lot. I'd speculate that that's more urban.

Old 07-09-2010, 07:44 AM

1,885 posts, read 3,401,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southlander View Post
"Fixin' to go." Slurred a lot. I'd speculate that that's more urban.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama