Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2011, 11:51 AM

5,297 posts, read 7,630,795 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colddiamond102 View Post
I heard this one alot.. "Chile, if'n you don get back he'ah Imma snatch you ball-headed"

And this one "That girl's a trip. She ain' right."

"He'ah! Get de hail outta dat shed! Gwine now! Git! That ain't fittin for lil girl's ta play in"

"Sue! Keep dese chirrun out dat shed! Dey gwine ketch ahold of sumpin' in dere they ain' gone like"

"We was a-lookin' for lizards Mama."

"I swannee! Done let me catch you all in there again, or Imma get my switch after you, you heah?"

We liked to sneak into a neighbor's rickety shed to see what stuff we could find. It happened alot.
I loved this, the way the dialect was written. So true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2011, 05:58 AM

12 posts, read 57,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
We also say frigerator in the south, not refrigerator.
My Granny always used to say 'Frigidaire' or 'icebox' when referring to a refrigerator.

She would also use the word 'stobb' which could be something like a tent stake or alternately could be something you did such as "I stobbed my toe".
Then there were words that were pronounced interestingly like 'battris' for batteries. My mother would say 'bum' when talking about a 'bomb'. I never really was sure what a **** elm was but they sure hurt when you were being switched across the legs with one! LOL

Old 08-03-2011, 06:26 AM

12 posts, read 57,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southlander View Post
Sorry, AP Money, I never heard those terms used, except by African-Americans and except by people specifically from the New Orleans area (which would include Pascagoula and parts of Mobile). There are colloquialisms, even within the South, and each area has a few.
Example: "roasinear," which HAS to be short for "roasting ear" for a cob of corn. Both my parents were from NW North Carolina, not far from East Tennessee, and they both used that term. But I've rarely heard it away from there.
My dad always said it 'roastnears'

Old 08-10-2011, 09:35 AM

179 posts, read 406,056 times
Two that usually indicate that YouTube or AFV will have you on:

"Hey y'all, wat-chis!"
"Here, hold my beer...."

Old 08-11-2011, 09:16 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,605,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcoon View Post
My mother would say 'bum' when talking about a 'bomb'.
LOL, My grandfather used to say that, he would talk about how we "bummed Iraq".

Old 08-11-2011, 09:46 AM

736 posts, read 524,609 times
Im from south central Missouri but my dad is from the bootheel. My mom always pokes fun at him when he talks.

He says stuff like: Boy git er git-tar and Hold is Hode and Fold is fode, and there is a difference between pin and pen. Also Cold is code.

Old 08-11-2011, 10:27 AM

5,297 posts, read 7,630,795 times
Frigerdaire & ice box = refridgerator....check

roastnears = roasting ears....check

bum = bomb...check

I have heard of "stobe" for "stick up a stobe" (stake) to hold a place

My Dad (born 1900, SE Alabama)

Old 09-01-2011, 10:06 PM

39 posts, read 53,606 times
Default Sh*t Far: The Whole Sordid Phrase

Quote:
Originally Posted by avecar10 View Post
I read almost all the pages and this was hilarious...

One I didn't see was "Jaeatyet?" Commonly heard if someone shows up at your house during supper or right after as a way of offering them something to eat.

I actually know ppl who say "knowed" and "throwed" instead of knew or threw. Or, he "learned" me how to do it instead of taught.

And I have to correct the pp who said southerners don't serve breakfast in their homes. The majority of the most country folk I know do cook breakfast, very early, complete with homemade biscuits and gravy and usually eggs and a meat too. Especially if the woman stays home.

Others I didn't see:
Whatcha know good?
He ain't gotta pot to p*ss in.
They're living high on the hog.
You can talk til the cows come home but I ain't doing it.
Sh*t far (fire) and save matches!
She got beat with the ugly stick.

The best ones that get Northerners that I have been around is nekkid and--I didn't see this one but it's great--Don't drink that milk, it's RURNT!

I am from a small town in northeast Texas. I have heard people say "Sh*t fire!" (often pronounced "Sh*t far!") my whole life, but I did not know the unabridged version of the phrase until after my demure, never-cussing grandmother had a stroke and lost her usual reserve for about 6 months. It didn't take all that long for everybody in my family to pretty much get used to the out-of-character profanity, but once while my grandmother was cooking (Post-stroke, cooking was an event guaranteed to attract a worried audience, lest she burn the house down.), something on the stove didn't go as planned and she left everybody standing eyes agog and mouth agape when she exclaimed "Sh*t FI-I-RE, fuzzy a**hole, and SA-A-A-VE the matches!"

Old 10-26-2011, 04:28 PM

1 posts, read 2,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lea896 View Post
sorry but am a lil slow here... so what's "lowfern"?
We are saying we are loafing. not really going anywhere

Old 10-31-2011, 05:46 AM

42 posts, read 92,807 times
People around me and myself always say, "Well that ain't no count!" Meaning, "Well that's not good at all!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama