Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2009, 10:45 AM

1,326 posts, read 2,390,132 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southlander View Post
An east-west interstate connecting Atlanta to Memphis has been in the works for a couple of decades. I doubt it will happen due to physical obstacles (crossing mountains and the Tennessee River, and expensive right-of-way acquisitions) now that the Atlanta-Memphis-via-Birmingham route is fixin' to open.
True but it doesn't have to connect to Memphis a route is still needed in North Alabama that connects towards Atlanta in the East and not directly with Memphis is can just connect into the existing Memphis to Birmingham route on the West. With all the population growth North Alabama has seen I think you can justify if a new interstate is built through Alabama anytime soon it has to be in North Alabama. Just try driving East-West through North Alabama and see how long it takes you to travel a relatively short distance there are lots of fairly populated towns along the way (going through Guntersville, Albertville, Boaz etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2009, 10:58 AM

976 posts, read 2,682,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntsville_secede View Post
True but it doesn't have to connect to Memphis a route is still needed in North Alabama that connects towards Atlanta in the East and not directly with Memphis is can just connect into the existing Memphis to Birmingham route on the West. With all the population growth North Alabama has seen I think you can justify if a new interstate is built through Alabama anytime soon it has to be in North Alabama. Just try driving East-West through North Alabama and see how long it takes you to travel a relatively short distance there are lots of fairly populated towns along the way (going through Guntersville, Albertville, Boaz etc.
Wouldn't you have to get the city of Atlanta to jump on board with that and Tennessee.

Old 04-08-2009, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimpdaddy View Post
Wouldn't you have to get the city of Atlanta to jump on board with that and Tennessee.
Not the city of Atlanta or the state of Tennessee but the State of Georgia which is partially why it hasn't started yet neither of them have a need for it. The plan was for it to connect to I-75 near Cartersville Georgia.

Old 04-08-2009, 01:23 PM

4,999 posts, read 9,143,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alatex View Post
I don't want to ruffle any Auburn feathers, but why in the Sam Hill would the state consider shelling out huge money for a tourist attraction like an Auburn Aquarium, especially given the town's proximity to Atlanta (which already has the largest aquarium attraction in the US) ?

If the state is going to be on the hook for this thing, why not put it somewhere like Birmingham or Mobile that has enough population base to give it some chance of success ?

Not to put Auburn down but I thinnk a city such as Auburn will not be successsful in having an aquarium .I thought Montgomery was pitching for this any which to me would have aa better shot at it.

Old 04-08-2009, 01:26 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,857,597 times
Surprised more people haven't mentioned Mobile.

Old 04-08-2009, 01:34 PM

Oh Mobile is very disconnected from the state so you will never hear anything about Mobile in Alabama were doing our own thing down here,lol, but true . I would say Mobile is in in the postion of being a boomtown especialy when we win our 2 contracts from the Navy 16 billion $ and Air Force 40 billion $. We have a current Navy contract which will creat over 1,000 jobs and I believe it`s safe to say Mobile`s economy is diverse. We learned our lesson from the the closing of Brookly Field which took the city decades to recover from.We have the Port which is the now 10th largest soon to be 7th largest in the nation,We have tourism,health care,Blue collar and attracting white collar jobs to the area,whole trade and sale on an international level. we just have to continue to grow in these areas but the diverity in economy is hear allready

Old 04-08-2009, 02:15 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,571,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by portcity View Post
oh mobile is very disconnected from the state so you will never hear anything about mobile in alabama were doing our own thing down here,lol, but true .
Sometimes I think south AL, south GA, and the FL panhandle should form our own state.

Old 04-08-2009, 04:01 PM

It was if you remeber/know it was called the Greater Gulf State at one time ,eg. Greatre Gulf State Fairgrounds. I can`t rember what I read on what happend to the the Greatre Gulf State though.

Old 04-08-2009, 04:06 PM

976 posts, read 2,682,097 times
Mobile is the most unique out all the cities.
Montgomery area recognizes Mobile and the things going on there.
Our news station reports on things in Mobile all the time.
Huntsville is so far away it might as well be another state.

Old 04-08-2009, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimpdaddy View Post
Mobile is the most unique out all the cities.
Montgomery area recognizes Mobile and the things going on there.
Our news station reports on things in Mobile all the time.
Huntsville is so far away it might as well be another state.
Mimpdaddy The Huntsville hater lol... just cause we are far away doesn't mean we aren't representing Alabama really well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama