Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-10-2009, 09:20 PM

4 posts, read 7,245 times

Advertisements

We are driving to Florida. We are driving from our home in Central IL and want to stop in AL. We have always stayed in Athens but would like to try to drive a little further this year. Also would like a recommendation of a reasonable, but clean motel to stay at. We have stayed at the Country Inn the last several years and it is less and less clean each year. Has not been well maintained. Would appreciate any suggestions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2009, 09:36 PM

234 posts, read 708,271 times
Well, I'd recommend some Decatur hotels, but I'm assuming that you'd like to get even further south. There are some hotels that appear well maintained in Cullman at the 310 exit.

Old 04-10-2009, 09:40 PM

4 posts, read 7,245 times
Question Where in Decatur? Clean and Reasonable Motel

Quote:
Originally Posted by sedriskell View Post
Well, I'd recommend some Decatur hotels, but I'm assuming that you'd like to get even further south. There are some hotels that appear well maintained in Cullman at the 310 exit.

Decatur was a consideration. Where do you suggest to stay in Decatur?

Old 04-10-2009, 09:46 PM

6,048 posts, read 18,422,019 times
Jameson Inn, which is on into Decatur, is clean and well maintained. There are a few hotels at the I-65 and Alabama 67 exit...can't tell you about any of them, though.

Birmingham...for some reason there just aren't enough hotels in Birmingham. Occasionally I try to find a room and usually find them priced high enough that I'd just as soon drive home to Decatur.

Old 04-10-2009, 09:48 PM

234 posts, read 708,271 times
Oh, well, now that I read that you would be willing to stop in Decatur, I can recommend some hotels. Most of the better hotels are going to be on the Beltline, and are located about 2 or 3 miles into town from exit 334. Also, you could get off at exit 340, take Alabama 20 into Decatur, and there is a Holiday Inn in downtown that is very well maintained and is the city's only full service hotel.

Also in downtown, there is, I believe a Country Inn and Suites, next to the Old State Bank that is in a very historic setting and is a pretty nice place to stay.

If you're looking for some more, there is a LaQuinta on the Beltline, near the corner of Spring and the Beltline. There is also a pretty nice hotel at the corner of Danville Road and Beltline Rd.

If you need any directions, just message me.

Old 04-11-2009, 09:29 AM

23,597 posts, read 70,402,242 times
I second the thought that there aren't many reasonably priced motels in B'ham. There are some near the Greensprings and Hoover area, and a couple good ones out on 280 SE of the city, but those are not inexpensive. The situation between B'ham and Montgomery is much worse. I usually made my trips from South Florida to North Alabama in one go, or stopped at Dothan. One time I was just too tired and had to stop south of B'ham and could only find a flea-pit.

Old 04-11-2009, 12:37 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,153,037 times
Birmingham will be a pretty good stop, actually. You'd be best off stopping at the Lakeshore Drive exit, which is about four-five miles south of downtown. There are quite a few hotels there, plus some decent places to eat, immediately to your right as you leave the interstate. At the same time, there's a Wal-Mart and some other stores in case you need to make last minute purchases. From there, you'll be 4-4.5 hours from most Panhandle beaches.

Old 04-11-2009, 12:41 PM

4 posts, read 12,707 times
Exit 310 in Cullman is a good place to stop. Just remember Cullman is dry.
It's okay on down around Gardendale too. I can't remember the exit numbers, but it is the Fieldstown Road exit and the one after that.
I wouldn't go into Birmingham though.

Old 04-11-2009, 12:47 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,153,037 times
At Lakeshore Parkway, you'll find a Hampton, LaQuinta, Best Western, Holiday, Drury, and Residence Inn, all within about a 500 yard radius. Plus there's a Landry's, an Outback, a Chili's, iHop, Lone Star, Chik-fil-A, a couple of Chinese places, etc. etc. Plus you can actually get a beer after a long drive. Really, it's your very best option. Drive safely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama