U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2009, 07:53 AM

2,450 posts, read 3,461,066 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by katnewyorker View Post
My husband and I just returned from a weekend in Dothan, and I wanted to share my thoughts with you all!

Everyone told me that Dothan was going to be really small--but I didn't think it was too terribly tiny. There were a lot of shops, restaurants, etc. The Wiregrass Commons mall was nice, and the Target shopping center looked great. We also stayed in the Courtyard Marriott on Ross Clark Circle which was great. I personally really enjoyed the West side of the circle -- everything was nice and new and there was a lot of nice shopping and restaurants.

That said, I wasn't as impressed with the area more downtown and inside the circle. It seemed to be kind of depressed and run down, but I think that all towns have parts like that. Things just seemed older and not quite as nice as the west side. We did however have lunch one day at D'Monicos downtown, which was really nice. Even better was the fabulous dinner we had down the street at Bistro -- I have never had Ahi tuna that good in my life! And I certainly didn't expect the best Ahi Tuna ever would be in Dothan (no offense), but it was! I've heard that they are trying to build up the downtown a little more, is this true? I think it could be really nice if they did.

We spent one morning looking at homes in the area, and I was quite impressed. The Highlands South subdivision and Grove Park subdivision are so nice! The homes were beautiful-- top of the line, spacious and in very nice neighborhoods. I loved how many of them were arranged around little mini-parks -- very cute! And you can't beat the prices!

We also ended up making the trip down to Panama City (nice, but a little touristy for my taste) and Destin (GOREGOUS -- much more our style). People say Dothan is in the middle of nowhere, but a two hour drive didn't seem that bad to me. The beaches were phenomenal, and it was really easy to do as a day or weekend trip. We also stopped at a local produce shop on the way down and got some Georgia peaches and Roasted Alabama peanuts -- both of which were delicious!

My husband's interview seemed to go really well and he LOVES the position/employer. He's not completely sold on Dothan yet (he's much more of a city person than I am) but I think he's seriously considering it. We will keep you posted!
I have read that many Panamanians are settling in Dothan. Did you hear a lot of Spanish being spoken? Also, I understand that many military retirees are there. Do they mix with the locals or form their own clique? The type of people in a town, especially a small one, can make a huge difference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2009, 11:31 AM

33 posts, read 163,360 times
I didn't hear any Spanish being spoken, but I was only in town for a few days. The town seemed to be filled with a mix of the elderly, young families and everything in between. I did see some Military retirees as well as current members of the Military who live in Dothan or nearby Fort Rucker but not an overwhelming ammount. Didn't stay long enough to see clicques, etc. It did seem that everyone knows each other, though. And everyone says "hello" to you -- they were all so friendly!

Old 06-01-2009, 04:26 PM

417 posts, read 672,026 times
katnewyorker,

I am very glad you liked Dothan. Many people up north think the south, and mainly Alabama, is just the pits. Just like many down South think all New Yorkers are rude, ect. People down here, just like in New York, are friendly and welcoming. I've lived upstate NY, and near the city...and loved it. And later in Atlanta, and now Fairhope. I've enjoyed it all!

Good luck with your husbands' job possibilities, and hope you get to move down to Alabama. It's a great state.

Old 06-01-2009, 05:58 PM

33 posts, read 163,360 times
humacaena,

Thanks for the post! What cities in NY did you live in? I completely agree about the various stereotypes that different regions of the country have! In addition to New York, I have lived in Washington State, Minnesota, Nebraska and Alaska. No matter where you go, people are pretty much the same. The bottom line is that you can be happy anywhere so long as your are surrounded by good people. It's not the number of shops or restaurants or attractions that make life enjoyable, it's the connections you have with others! Alabama had so many friendly people that I think I would love living there and would (hopefully) make a lot of good friends. That is the only thing I worry about. I work from home as a contract web designer, so it might be hard for me to meet people! Hopefully by joining a church, a gym, meeting neighbors and getting involved in the community I will be able to find a great circle of friends! =)

Old 06-01-2009, 07:31 PM

13,555 posts, read 22,829,897 times
I believe the Panamanians referred to are ppl who once lived in the former Panama Canal Zone, better known as zonians. Nearly all of them speak english. If you were born in CZ you had dual citizenship. American Citizens lived in CZ and married Panamanians. .

Post link not copyrighted material

Old 06-02-2009, 01:08 PM

2,450 posts, read 3,461,066 times
Default Panamanians

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeper View Post
I believe the Panamanians referred to are ppl who once lived in the former Panama Canal Zone, better known as zonians. Nearly all of them speak english. If you were born in CZ you had dual citizenship. American Citizens lived in CZ and married Panamanians. .
Thanks for clearing that up.

Old 06-04-2009, 02:12 AM

2 posts, read 10,845 times
Katnewyorker: I posted earlier and gave my thoughts on Dothan. Now that I have been following these threads and read of your experiences in your travels, I think that you would do just fine wherever you lived! You seem to have a wonderfully positive outlook. You said that you think that you'd make friends. I would venture to say that you would definately make many friends with that joyful spirit! I almost regret having mentioned anything negative about Dothan. It isn't my favorite place but it does have it's good qualities. If you do move down here, be sure to take a long weekend away with your hubby to Seaside, Florida. It is a quaint little "out of the way" place on the Gulf of Mexico not far from Destin. God Bless you and yours.

Old 06-04-2009, 10:40 PM

417 posts, read 672,026 times
Katnewyorker,

I lived in Milton,NY...little town on the west side of the Hudson,(85 miles from the city) close to New Paltz We had friends in Manhattan and I spent lots of time there..I also lived in Roselle Park NJ, back in 1967...eons ago! I've lived in Chicago, Miami, Atlanta and now Fairhope AL. I was born and raised in Puerto Rico, where I spent the first 24 yrs of my life. Even though I am considered a minority, I've never felt out of place anywhere.

I've spent quite a bit of time in Seattle, and considered Bellingham,WA. but hubby wanted warm water. Go figure! I wanted Santa Fe...but no water, and DH loves to fish. We also looked in Maine(again DH hates cold), so we came south. We also loved Vancouver,BC, but insurance for American citizens is not doable.

So here we are, in Fairhope, and we love it. It is a great community..not just a town. I feel many smaller towns in the South, just like up North, are that way. I never felt out of place up there, and adusted, and I feel you will do the same. Like the previous poster said, it's all about attitude and having a positive outlook. Good luck on your relocation and hope it all goes great!

Old 06-05-2009, 06:49 AM

4 posts, read 7,898 times
[LEFT]I wish you happiness

And certainly a wonderful husband[/LEFT]

Old 06-09-2009, 03:34 PM

893 posts, read 995,953 times
If I could...I'd be in Dothan in a heartbeat. I love that place and it's surroundings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama