U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2012, 05:35 PM

20 posts, read 111,962 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Native2 View Post
As a local having been born there, let me set the record straight..Talladega is a Creek word pronounced Tal-a-DIG-a..Trust me.. We never heard it pronounced Tal-a-day-ga until the speedway was built and all the outsiders decided to pronounce it that way
If in doubt go to Wikipedia and it will explain the correct pronounciation and the origin of the word, which means Border Town
Repeat after me... Tal-a DIG-a.. say it again.. Tal-a-DIG-A ,, we straight now?
Sorry Native2, I didn't see your reply, however I agree with you verbatim
Tal-uh-DIG-a .. no DAY in there, today, yesterday nor tomorrow
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2012, 05:21 PM

3 posts, read 9,648 times
AMEN! Thank you!

Old 12-03-2012, 01:02 PM

8,181 posts, read 15,076,503 times
That explains a lot of eye rolling when we were looking for land near Tal a DAY ga.

I'll practice the correct way of saying it before I move up there.

Old 03-22-2015, 07:33 PM

1 posts, read 627 times
I lived in Talladega until I was 34 years old. As has been written, sports media-types from up North and even some from as close as Birmingham AL at some point decided that Tal-a-day-ga is correct. (Of course, most of those sportscasters also say "Tom gave the tickets to he and I" instead of "him and me.") Anyway, growing up there, it was always Tal-a-di-ga. Occasionally it came out as Tal-a-dee-ga. It was never, never, never Tal-a-day-ga.

Old 03-23-2015, 02:10 PM

1,514 posts, read 1,283,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Town Tenor View Post
I lived in Talladega until I was 34 years old. As has been written, sports media-types from up North and even some from as close as Birmingham AL at some point decided that Tal-a-day-ga is correct. (Of course, most of those sportscasters also say "Tom gave the tickets to he and I" instead of "him and me.") Anyway, growing up there, it was always Tal-a-di-ga. Occasionally it came out as Tal-a-dee-ga. It was never, never, never Tal-a-day-ga.

Agree. My mother-in-law grew up in the area and she & all family on that side say TallaDIGa

Old 03-24-2015, 07:18 PM

923 posts, read 2,102,351 times
Interesting thread. I never thought about the different possible pronunciations. I guess I'm a good Alabamian because I think my pronunciation is closer to Talla-DIG-a than Talla-DAY-ga, though probably not pure enough to be confused for a local :-)

Old 03-25-2015, 10:03 AM

11,790 posts, read 10,635,891 times
Most everyone around me says DAY or DEE, only time I hear DIG is when that person is specifically from there.

Old 03-26-2015, 07:58 PM

904 posts, read 570,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
Most everyone around me says DAY or DEE, only time I hear DIG is when that person is specifically from there.

This is true. And colloquial pronunciation does not make it the accurate pronunciation. (in fact, it usually proves to be the opposite)
Having become a proper name, it is good to remember that proper names may be pronounced anyway one chooses. If I feel the locals of any community are just following long held incorrect pronunciation, I will adjust my pronunciation in their presence so as not to come across as if I am challenging them on any level. Many towns and cities are mispronounced but it seems to be a small issue as far as I am concerned.

Beautiful county, however one pronounces it.

Old 05-30-2016, 09:05 AM

1 posts, read 305 times
I grew up in Alexander City, AL. I & everyone else in Alex. City pronounce it "Talla-dig-a"!!!! Only people that aren't from the area pronounce it improperly as "Talla-day-ga"!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama