Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2009, 01:43 PM

6,048 posts, read 18,418,958 times

Advertisements

It's barely June, and our neighbors who are new to Alabama are already whining - er, noticing - the heat and humidity.

Personally, I think it's finally getting pleasant out there. But let's help out our new friends and neighbors with some tips on how to survive and thrive in the Heart of Dixie. Please add your own sage advice!

1. Get up early, around dawn. Do what needs to be done, and find a way to stay indoors in the air conditioning between 11 a.m. and 2 p.m. (10 a.m. and 4 p.m., in the height of summer). Come out again in the afternoon - preferably in time for cocktail hour!

2. Dress appropriately - loose, lightweight clothing. I don't know who thought it was proper for businessmen to wear long-sleeved shirts even in the summer. That person was not a Southerner, that's for sure!

3. In the sun, always wear a hat. There's a reason we rednecks wear hats, Bucky!

4. Stay hydrated. Keep a cool drink handy. Ice water's great, but don't flush all the electrolytes out of your system. Gatorade, lemonade, mint limeades, poured over plenty of crushed ice...and all these drinks improve after sunset with some bourbon!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2009, 01:53 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,743,760 times
Plant trees on the east and west sides of your house but not on the south side (so as not to block the free sun heat in winter)

If the temperature and humidity are about the same, I feel less hot in the middle of the day than at 8 or 9AM or 4 or 5 PM because I get a lot less solar exposure at noon (less cross sectional radiation). In the mornings and afternoon I get the sun from the side and that means a lot more heat absorption. At mid day only the top of my head and shoulders are getting radiated.

Old 06-12-2009, 02:00 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,590,485 times
Here's another suggestion, buy a small window unit a/c to have as a backup, you can get them for $100 at Wal-Mart. You never know when your central a/c will break down, and if it happens in the middle of August you may have to wait several days before you can get a repairman to fix it.

I originally bought mine because of the hurricanes (I can run it on the generator), but last year when my central air broke down it was a life saver for three days. We were confined to the bedroom, but it's better than sitting in a 100 degree house.

Old 06-12-2009, 05:27 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,189,971 times
I do agree get up early and get what you have to do outside done early before 10 am. Unlike other areas in N. AL the hottest part of the day is around 3-5pm.
Sit on the front porch and have a cool drink in the evening and watch the lightening bugs in the south where the living is easy.

Old 06-12-2009, 09:57 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,743,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeper View Post
Sit on the front porch and have a cool drink in the evening
But unless you are within a screened area or are sprayed with bug repellent, the mosquitoes will eat you alive.

Old 06-12-2009, 11:38 PM

6,048 posts, read 18,418,958 times
Another tip - to have a chance of a chance of mosquitoes not bothering you, wear no perfume, cologne, scented soap, scented deodorant, scented anything.
I've always avoided scented stuff because my family member are allergic, but I've noted that I get bothered less by mosquitoes than a lot of people.
.....or maybe it's the garlic I eat???

Old 06-13-2009, 10:08 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,590,485 times
^^probably the garlic. LOL

Old 06-13-2009, 10:35 AM

23,591 posts, read 70,383,686 times
I'm almost never bothered by mosquitoes, and we live in the country near a brook. Our back deck is elevated above the grass by about five feet, so that helps.

The window unit is a great idea for another reason -using one in the bedroom at night allows you to cut off the central AC and save money. Window ACs are also more efficient than almost all central units.

It has been pleasant out so far, so I haven't had to resort to my secret weapons against the heat while doing yard work - a "cool vest" with pockets for packaged phase change slats that get stuck in the refrigerator or freezer, and a zip-lock sandwich bag of crushed ice under my hat. Learned both tricks in Florida.

A lot of the reason why people get too hot in the summer is that ACs are kept too cold at homes and businesses. Our main unit is set around 76 to 78 now, and will likely get set higher as the heat progresses.

Much of the excess heat people experience is their own fault. Huntsville has become a heat island with all the paved areas and buildings. Our temps here in the country are easily five or more degrees cooler on most hot days.

Old 06-13-2009, 02:03 PM

2,450 posts, read 5,600,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southlander View Post
It's barely June, and our neighbors who are new to Alabama are already whining - er, noticing - the heat and humidity.

1. Get up early, around dawn. Do what needs to be done, and find a way to stay indoors in the air conditioning between 11 a.m. and 2 p.m. (10 a.m. and 4 p.m., in the height of summer). Come out again in the afternoon - preferably in time for cocktail hour!
Actually, this year is pretty mild so far. In comparison at least. I also hate the heat and humidity. But I'd say #1 and the last one about drinking water are rules for me.
I actually find many Birmingham folks to be pretty soft when it comes to what they expect the indoor temps inside. Coming from the land of no AC, I'm used to having to suffer through the few truly hot spells we each year.
DON'T jack your AC up all the time. I keep mine around 80-85. I find so many people keep it at 75 or 72 or even 68. If you allow yourself to better acclimitize to the heat, then you can deal with it better when you go outside. When I go to the gulf coast I find it often to be much nicer; businesses don't seem to keep everything indoors so could. I always feel like I'm gonna get sick when I'm getting hot-cold-hot-cold.
Usually I keep everything open at night, except for the worst days of August and July. Then close everything first thing in the morning.
Unfortunately, if you work inside there's nothing you can do. They keep it comfy for those people in their business suits. In the summer I keep a sweatshirt or something around in the office. Some people (especially the females) have mini space-heaters.

Old 06-13-2009, 02:07 PM

2,450 posts, read 5,600,895 times
Oh, and the mosquitos kill me here. My landlord would probably screen in the porch, but I don't like the feeling of it (it makes it seem more indoors to me) and it makes the pretty buidlings you have around here look ugly (IMO). I also don't like wearing repellent. I just get eaten up to hell. Good thing we don't have malaria or something around here. Although I hate the long, hot summer, the summer nights for chilling and grilling are still some of the best things about the South.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama