Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2009, 03:51 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,571,506 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebeard View Post
DON'T jack your AC up all the time. I keep mine around 80-85. I find so many people keep it at 75 or 72 or even 68. If you allow yourself to better acclimitize to the heat, then you can deal with it better when you go outside.
80-85 would be too hot for me, I don't want to sweat while sitting in my recliner or when I'm trying to eat dinner. Mine is set at 77 right now and it feels just right, I could probably handle 78 but anything above that is uncomfortable for being inside.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2009, 08:05 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,729,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebeard View Post
summer nights for chilling and grilling are still some of the best things about the South.
What's the south got to do with it? People chill and grill everywhere.

Old 06-13-2009, 08:42 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,928,986 times
To Charles:

Seeing as how you grew up in the dry heat of the SFV, which has a climate similar to where I grew up, how long did it take you to get acclimated to the heat and humidity of Alabama, assuming you have? I spent 2 weeks in Baldwin County one August, and I thought I was going to either mildew and melt to a puddle of sweat or die from mosquito biteosis, whichever came first.

Although Baldwin County was beautiful, the people I met gracious, and the food divine, I was never so glad to leave weather behind.

Old 06-13-2009, 08:42 PM

4,999 posts, read 9,143,305 times
It was so humid down here in Mobile today, I broke out in sweat just standing outside for about 4 minutes flat !!

Old 06-13-2009, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
To Charles:

Seeing as how you grew up in the dry heat of the SFV, which has a climate similar to where I grew up, how long did it take you to get acclimated to the heat and humidity of Alabama, assuming you have? I spent 2 weeks in Baldwin County one August, and I thought I was going to either mildew and melt to a puddle of sweat or die from mosquito biteosis, whichever came first.

Although Baldwin County was beautiful, the people I met gracious, and the food divine, I was never so glad to leave weather behind.
Actually I found the winters more unappealing than the summers here in Huntsville (as compared to Southern California). Canoga Park, where I grew up is pretty darn hot but not humid but it is butt hot from late June until October. Huntsville is pretty bad in July and August (though I only moved to Huntsville in early August 09). It cooled off by September in Huntsville.

Average High temperature LA & HSV. I think Canoga Park is a lot hotter than the graph below for LA.

Old 06-13-2009, 09:54 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,571,506 times
When you've had the pleasure of having to roll your underwear down to be able to get them off you have experienced the best of southern heat and humidity.

Old 06-13-2009, 11:47 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,928,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post

Average High temperature LA & HSV. I think Canoga Park is a lot hotter than the graph below for LA.
It wasn't the heat that got to me.... I'm in Fontana, so heat isn't an issue. It was that damn humidity.

Old 06-14-2009, 06:57 AM

4,923 posts, read 11,185,071 times
These are some great tips, and I hope your neighbors quit whi...noticing the humidity. I don't know that I've ever totally acclimated.

I was born in Mississippi, without AC, but, you know how it is when you're a kid, you don't know any different. When I was 7 we moved out west to very dry climes...where people complain if it gets 20% humidity.

What brought me back south was a college athletic scholarship. I remember my first summer workouts...especially the first couple of weeks. I thought I was going to die. I was 18, in the best shape of my life and I couldn't breathe, I was dizzy, I felt drained of all energy. I remember asking some good ol' boy during a water break on one of the first days..."Is the weather always like this?" He said, "Naw, it's a little cooler than usual."

Point being, I've lived in the south now for a total of 29 years, with quite a few other years spent out west in dry areas. I don't know that I'll ever get used to the humidity.
I best cope by doing everything outside much earlier or later than where else I've lived.

The only other tip I have is the way a friend of mine coped with living in Las Vegas..."I just go from my air conditioned house to my air conditioned car to my air conditioned office back to my air conditioned car to my air conditioned house. I made my yard rocks so I don't have to go out in it."

Old 06-14-2009, 07:13 AM

14 posts, read 14,276 times
In Michigan we have quite the opposite.I was freezing inside my home this morning.Is there any place in the Unites States of America where humidity is not high and not cold.I fear i will get some rheumatism or whatever.

Old 06-14-2009, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monelli View Post
IIs there any place in the Unites States of America where humidity is not high and not cold.
Southern California
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama