Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2007, 01:42 PM

40 posts, read 156,840 times

Advertisements

I am considering relocating to Lincoln, AL from upstate NY for a job offer. I have 2 children and I am wondering if this a good family area, and if the schools are decent. Is there any bias towards northerners that move to southern areas like Lincoln? Also, how is healthcare in the area? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2007, 05:02 PM

23,587 posts, read 70,358,767 times
Go for it! Lincoln sits near I-20, so travel to B'ham or Atlanta is easy. B'ham has UAB, which teaches doctors, and Atlanta ain't too shabby either. If you are truly from upstate, and somewhat laid-back, you'll love the change. Just be prepared for hot and humid summers. If you or any member of your family is a whiner or expects things done "this instant" then forget it. "Please sir, Thank-you ma-am", and "We'll fit you in on Thursday" sorta sum it up. Get past that and you'll get to "Our church is having a barbeque next week, would you like to come?..." Manners matter in Alabama. Someone in the immediate area will have to coach you on schools. A lot of kids go to private schools in AL.

Old 04-16-2007, 06:31 AM

103 posts, read 453,037 times
Smile North to South

Not much in Lincoln to do though....especially for kids. We moved down from Ohio about 5 months ago for work at the Honda plant as well. We have chosen to be farther east, Calhoun county outside of Anniston. Great smaller school system, one of the best in the state (white plains) Anniston schools are terrible don't go there. We are less than a 10 min drive from anything you would need as far as shopping, dining etc. 5minutes to RT20 which hubby takes to work everyday, about 25 minute drive to Honda from here. Let me know if I can help out, what age are your children? I havent' noticed much bias towards us "yankees" other than the usual cultural differences that we all must adjust to no matter where we move. Slower pace of course, keep your impatience in check. Lots' of things closed on Sundays. Yes people will invite you to church, but not everyday, and if you say no thank you you aren't villified. Not everyone is "nice" down here, property taxes are outrageously low, as is housing however sales tax is around 8% and Alabama charges tax on food so be prepared for that. Best of luck.

Old 04-21-2007, 11:09 AM

Thanks for you input. Does your money go farther than in AL than up north? In NY we are taxed to death, $4500 on a $140,000 house. The salaries for my current job and potential job are about the same, so I am trying to figure out how it will adjust, I dont trust cost of living websites, as they are all different. Are utilities cheap?

Old 04-21-2007, 11:27 AM

1,561 posts, read 2,792,964 times
I believe that is an Alabama Power Company service area, so power will be somewhat higher than the TVA power prevalent in northern-most Alabama.* But property taxes are low...$2.90/$1000 in the County, $3.40/$1000 of appraised value in Lincoln itself. And you get a homestead exemption of at least $40,000 of appraised value if you are a homeowner. Sales tax appears to be 6% in the County, not clear what it is in Lincoln but I'd expect at least 8%. Sales tax applies to just about everything, including food and clothing...presription medicine is exempt.

*Coosa Valley Electric provides some of the electric for Talladega County. It appears there is an $8.85 minimum + a
$.07109/kwh usage rate for residential. I think Alabama Power is in the same ballpark.

Last edited by nalabama; 04-21-2007 at 11:51 AM.. Reason: Add info

Old 04-22-2007, 07:28 AM

Thanks for you input. Does your money go farther than in AL than up north? In NY we are taxed to death, $4500 on a $140,000 house. The salaries for my current job and potential job are about the same, so I am trying to figure out how it will adjust, I dont trust cost of living websites, as they are all different. Are utilities cheap?

Old 04-23-2007, 06:22 AM

103 posts, read 453,037 times
Thumbs up cost of living

previous poster had good numbers, we are in Calhoun county farther east as I stated before. White Plains school district our home value is 150,000 we built new when we moved taxes about $550 a year!!! Came from Ohio where it would be at least triple that. Everything is taxed but in the county here it's 6% and in Anniston/Oxford it is 8% and yes food is taxed, but I'll take that over higher property taxes any day. I find utilities to be quite reasonable ex: all winter with the heat set at 73 degrees and everything being electric in our home are bill was never higher than 175.00 for a month. I do the bundle for cable, digital phone, high speed internet...thru our local provider and pay $130 monthly. Water bill is under $20 month. Etc Etc. I still would not move to Lincoln for the schools...they are newly built but that is not reason enough to enroll. We have alot of friends who do not recommend that school system, I'm not speaking from experience so I don't want to offend anyone. We are thrilled with the schools out here in Calhoun county, don't pick Anniston schools however stay in the county! Again 25 min. drive to Honda not bad at all. Good luck

Old 04-24-2007, 06:54 PM

3,287 posts, read 9,183,864 times
My inlaws live in Lincoln, my stepdaughters live in Pell City. Both are growing due to the Honda plant. They just finished building the new schools in Lincoln. But my in laws sent my stepdaughters to Pell City (they are both grown now and live on their own). The oldest graduated from Pell City, the youngest lived with us.

IF you like water sports there are things to do during the summer but not much in either town the rest of the year.

Cell service at my in laws (thru both Cingular and Verizon) is non existent. My mother in law is too far out for cable/internet and the phone company doesn't do dsl...she uses dial up. When we were out there in Nov, our verizon wirelss network card would not get a signal.

Go a tad south to Talledaga or west toward Birmingham. Liz

Old 04-24-2007, 07:07 PM

You have all been very helpful! Thanks and good luck to all of you.

Old 11-26-2008, 06:39 PM

3 posts, read 10,015 times
Default reply

as a long time resident i am familiar with the school system and it is new and there are many new residents in the city, many of which moved to lincoln from pell city and talladega. i cant speak for verizon but cingular has great coverage and i have never heard complaints on verizon. more folks moved to lincoln in the period from 1990 to 2000 than pell and with 22 new subdivisions the city will continue to grow. many new homes available in lincoln, the older homes are mostly in talladega. retail is lacking in lincoln due to the low population but with the positive attitude toward growth that want last long.

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernlady5464 View Post
My inlaws live in Lincoln, my stepdaughters live in Pell City. Both are growing due to the Honda plant. They just finished building the new schools in Lincoln. But my in laws sent my stepdaughters to Pell City (they are both grown now and live on their own). The oldest graduated from Pell City, the youngest lived with us.

IF you like water sports there are things to do during the summer but not much in either town the rest of the year.

Cell service at my in laws (thru both Cingular and Verizon) is non existent. My mother in law is too far out for cable/internet and the phone company doesn't do dsl...she uses dial up. When we were out there in Nov, our verizon wirelss network card would not get a signal.

Go a tad south to Talledaga or west toward Birmingham. Liz
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama