U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2009, 01:01 PM

20 posts, read 83,296 times
Default Politics in Fairhope

Checking out Fairhope from afar (Atlanta), and I am wondering what the "political climate" in Fairhope is like. Conservative, liberal, moderate? What about tolerance of differing viewpoints? Myself: moderate leaning towards liberalism.

Also, what about activities for kids? Love the proximity to the bay and ocean, but what is there for kids to do?

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2009, 01:32 PM

415 posts, read 656,961 times
Ivah3,

We moved from Atlanta 6 years ago and do not regret it at all. The climate was a lot more on the conservative side, but with the influx of many moving from other areas, it has become much more moderate. I was surprised to see so many Obama supporters for this election, and it continues in that direction.

There are great sports facilities, soccer, swimming, football and baseball in the city park. There are private classes for sailing, boating, ect. The Art Center is also another great venue. Fairhope is not lacking on activities for kids. We lack in things for adults who like nightlife, ect. so there you need to look towards Mobile for those activities.

It is a great town. Come see for yourself.

Old 08-15-2009, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by humacaena View Post
Ivah3,

We moved from Atlanta 6 years ago and do not regret it at all. The climate was a lot more on the conservative side, but with the influx of many moving from other areas, it has become much more moderate. I was surprised to see so many Obama supporters for this election, and it continues in that direction.

There are great sports facilities, soccer, swimming, football and baseball in the city park. There are private classes for sailing, boating, ect. The Art Center is also another great venue. Fairhope is not lacking on activities for kids. We lack in things for adults who like nightlife, ect. so there you need to look towards Mobile for those activities.

It is a great town. Come see for yourself.
My wife and I are coming down in October. I am from Mobile back in the day, and I have my 25th reunion coming up. When I was a kid I used to go to the 4th of July at the Fairhope pier. Not too worried about night life. Pretty much a day timer these days.

My wife is an RN, and I will be a family nurse practitioner. Not sure what the job market will be like, but I hear there is some growth there.

Thanks for the response.

Old 08-16-2009, 06:24 AM

13,546 posts, read 22,452,059 times
If you haven't been to the Eastern Shore in 25 years take it from me.. it has changed A LOT. Fairhope is still by favorite and the town itself has more artsy stores but still looks the same in town. The area from Spanish Fort on has grown.

I was just down for a HS reunion and I couldn't believe Loxley had grown so much around Malbis.

Post link not copyrighted material

Old 08-16-2009, 08:29 AM

8,861 posts, read 15,824,691 times
Baldwin County went 75% for McCain in the last election, so I'd say it's far from a liberal area.

Old 08-16-2009, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
BaldwinCounty went 75% for McCain in the last election, so I'd say it's far from a liberal area.
How typical of Baldwin county is Fairhope?

And I am not really looking for a totally liberal area per se, as that would be boring. Tolerance is what I seek. My family has both liberals and conservatives and we.....well, maybe that is not such a good example.

An atmosphere of common courtesy and respect would be what we want to raise our child in.

Ps: not to incite anything or offend anyone, but if the McCain of 2000 (who I loved) had shown up....

Old 08-16-2009, 10:11 AM

5,003 posts, read 10,609,152 times
From what I understand, Fairhope is a good bit more liberal than the surrounding area. I have a friend who retired there who is a staunch Democrat and active in the party. I doubt she would have moved there full time unless there were some "like-minded" folks around to work with.

Old 08-16-2009, 10:33 AM

Come hang around the Coffee Loft. You'll meet all kinds. We get into very interesting political discussions, people from both sides, and have not come to blows yet. We laugh at the fact that we can talk and not fight...

I am quite conservative, my DH is moderate/independent and some of our friends are super liberal. Only when one decided to call me a brown shirt too many times, I got upset. Hey, their man won, and now it's their turn in the barrel. And yes, Baldwin county is conservative, but Fairhope is not.

Now, the City Council and the Mayor wars are quite obvious...Very interesting to attend meetings and listen to them. They make the front page of the Mobile Register quite often...both sides fighting for power I guess.

The doctor I see has a nurse practitioner and she is super. I have seen her more than the doctor, and my friends also love her. So I imagine there is a market here. As the town grows, more doctors move in and more need for nurses for sure...and we are really growing.

And BTW, if Mitt Romney would have been the candidate....with his expertise in turning companies around, the economic chaos that exists (compliments of previous administration, I regretfully admit) could have been less of a problem. Who knows...just my 2 cents in.

Old 08-16-2009, 11:01 AM

And BTW, the Fairhope pier continues to be great on the 4th. The Baldwin Pops plays on the Bluff, and we ca not only get our fireworks, but see the ones from Mobile. This year the weather was very pleasant...nice breeze...and huge crowd (for Fairhope).

People ride bikes and ladies walk their babies in the evenings...last night a prime example...9:30, town in quiet, and some are doing the evening walks in the cooler hours. The pier was full of people walking, fishing and hoping for a Jubilee (my DH got a call at 3:45a) which happened but was not a great one. I guess to sum it all, that is Fairhope!

Old 08-16-2009, 11:55 AM

You guys really have piqued my interest. I thank you for your responses. My wife and I have much to talk about, and I am excited to be visiting.

Much of my family still live in Mobile, and it would be great to be able to see them whenever we wanted and vice versa. What will be key will be employment, but I think we have as good a chance as anyone considering we are both RNs, and I will be a family nurse practitioner. We can always commute until we found something close.

Lol...I like a lively political debate/discussion as long as it is friendly. I know people can be passionate about things, but we are way more alike than we are different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama