Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2009, 05:50 PM

3 posts, read 10,109 times

Advertisements

We have 2 kids under 6 moving to alabama. the job is at tuskegee university but I was wondering where could we live? I have seen some positive comments about auburn, but are there some other options? I would be interested in a place with good schools and in general a good place to raise our kids.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2009, 06:17 PM

4,036 posts, read 9,244,748 times
Any reason why you don't want to just live in Tuskeegee? I mean Tuskeegee is pretty isolated. There aren't a lot of options except for auburn/opelika. You could commute from Montgomery or Columbus but that would be a 45 minute to an hour commute.

Old 08-23-2009, 11:48 AM

13,624 posts, read 7,936,616 times
I've only been to Tuskegee once a couple of years ago, and the town itself seems pretty run down and depressed. The university is gorgeous though. If it was me, I would probably make the commute from Auburn. If you live on the south or west side of Auburn, it's easily less than 30 minutes.

Old 08-23-2009, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrence81 View Post
Any reason why you don't want to just live in Tuskeegee? I mean Tuskeegee is pretty isolated. There aren't a lot of options except for auburn/opelika. You could commute from Montgomery or Columbus but that would be a 45 minute to an hour commute.

thank you for your comment... I have read that tuskegee is not very good to raise kids in.. I mean the schools score really low, plus the crime level is kind of high (that's what I have read, I' ve never been there) ...

Old 08-23-2009, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUMike View Post
I've only been to Tuskegee once a couple of years ago, and the town itself seems pretty run down and depressed. The university is gorgeous though. If it was me, I would probably make the commute from Auburn. If you live on the south or west side of Auburn, it's easily less than 30 minutes.

thank you for your reply.. I guess auburn it is..

Old 05-16-2010, 10:46 AM

2 posts, read 6,541 times
you are just stupid. tuskegee has a lot of lovely areas to live. u must be on welfare or some kind of assistance. i was born and raised in tuskegee. i have a college degree. i work for the government in tuskegee. i own not rent, my own house. i am a nurse and alot of my classmates are drs., lawyers and so on. the education is what u make of it. if u want to become nothing then u will be nothing. i am raising my child hear in public schools. i am very dedicated to her education. im at the school where she attends once a week or more. if u teach your child nothing than they will learn nothing. no their are no big mall are department stores. if you want your child to see this you will have to travel. but tuskegee is made of good people and i wouldn't live anywhere else. if your like the big city then go to one. the problem with crime it that these people move out of the big city and bring there bad ass kids and courrept out good children. so the more u bad ones stay out the better our lives is.

Old 05-16-2010, 08:21 PM

287 posts, read 498,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fa joi View Post
you are just stupid. tuskegee has a lot of lovely areas to live. u must be on welfare or some kind of assistance. i was born and raised in tuskegee. i have a college degree. i work for the government in tuskegee. i own not rent, my own house. i am a nurse and alot of my classmates are drs., lawyers and so on. the education is what u make of it. if u want to become nothing then u will be nothing. i am raising my child hear in public schools. i am very dedicated to her education. im at the school where she attends once a week or more. if u teach your child nothing than they will learn nothing. no their are no big mall are department stores. if you want your child to see this you will have to travel. but tuskegee is made of good people and i wouldn't live anywhere else. if your like the big city then go to one. the problem with crime it that these people move out of the big city and bring there bad ass kids and courrept out good children. so the more u bad ones stay out the better our lives is.

lol

Old 05-27-2010, 04:08 PM

95 posts, read 296,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fa joi View Post
you are just stupid. tuskegee has a lot of lovely areas to live. u must be on welfare or some kind of assistance. i was born and raised in tuskegee. i have a college degree. i work for the government in tuskegee. i own not rent, my own house. i am a nurse and alot of my classmates are drs., lawyers and so on. the education is what u make of it. if u want to become nothing then u will be nothing.
Having lived in Tuskegee until 1972 and attened school there, this poster is right. I went to St. Joseph's Catholic school, not public...In the late 70's I moved to Montgomery and finished high school. You didn't say what your race was but Tuskegee is a great place to see Black professionals working hard and making a positive contribution.... Seeing a Black doctor or nurse, therapist etc. was a COMMON experience for me growing up, not someting you saw on t.v. like the Cosby's..... Yes, there is some gritty sections, yes there are nice middle class areas. Montgomery has spread so far east that you could live there and be in Macon county in 5 minutes if you choose to live there and send your kids to school there. Can't speak on Auburn but like Tuskegee, it's a small college town, only Whites are the majority in reverse..... and they have a HOSPITAL.......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama