Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2009, 08:20 PM

4,582 posts, read 8,968,017 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
Why is that great?

It's the exact opposite in Pensacola, many streets have Spanish names because of it's Spanish colonial history, but English is certainly the common language.
I'm just one of those in this country that believe spanish should be counted as a secondary language and not limit our country's language to english alone. The U.S. is one of the only countries in the world that doesn't speak different languages fluently. Sure, we teach our kids french and spanish among other languages in school but it isn't satisfactory compared to other countries. .....This is really going off subject and should probably be in another post but I wanted to give you my point of view as to why I thought it was great.

...and on that note, let the conservatives come and tear me to pieces.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2009, 06:13 PM

13,611 posts, read 7,911,419 times
I'm not one of those "speak English or go home" type of people at all, I have a respect for other languages and cultures.

But I think the reason the USA is not nearly as bilingual as European countries is purely due to necessity. In 99% of the US (minus perhaps southern California and Miami), you can live your whole life not knowing a single word in any language but English and not have any problems ever. Since Europe is so small with so many different languages and cultures so close to each other, you practically NEED to know at least some of other languages just to get by.

If Americans ever need to learn another language, they will. It just isn't necessary for most people.

Old 11-07-2009, 03:54 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,134,340 times
Well, two things to ponder.

The U.S. Department of Commerce projects that 60% of the country's economic growth will take place in the six states of the Southeast between now and 2025.

Currently, those states have 40% of the country's manufacturing. At the current rate of relocation, it is estimated by economic development that 70% of the country's manufacturing will be in those same six states in the same time period.

Old 11-08-2009, 09:37 AM

6,048 posts, read 18,415,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Well, two things to ponder.

The U.S. Department of Commerce projects that 60% of the country's economic growth will take place in the six states of the Southeast between now and 2025.

Currently, those states have 40% of the country's manufacturing. At the current rate of relocation, it is estimated by economic development that 70% of the country's manufacturing will be in those same six states in the same time period.
How old are those figures? I'll bet many of those plants have shut down and the work sent to other countries.

Old 11-09-2009, 02:39 PM

5 posts, read 11,477 times
Hillbilly no. Highest ( if ya want to call it a mountain ) Mountain we have here is Mt. Cheaha. Most of my West Virginia friends looks at Mt Cheaha and call it a hill. Country Hick? Maybe. Visit Walker County Alabama. Their very country and you would enjoy listening to them talk. Sumpin like Yuns haint never hurd in yur whole danged life LOL!!!
Cheap? Is that another way of saying Un-Fisticated? We ain't fisticated naw-suh. But a nicer bunch of Folks you'll never meet. Everybody has their druthers of where they wish to live. I hope everybody is as happy where they are as I am where I am and I've been all over this Country and I wouldn't live no where except Alabama.

Old 11-13-2009, 10:29 PM

4,582 posts, read 8,968,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FodderFossil View Post
Hillbilly no. Highest ( if ya want to call it a mountain ) Mountain we have here is Mt. Cheaha. Most of my West Virginia friends looks at Mt Cheaha and call it a hill. Country Hick? Maybe. Visit Walker County Alabama. Their very country and you would enjoy listening to them talk. Sumpin like Yuns haint never hurd in yur whole danged life LOL!!!
Cheap? Is that another way of saying Un-Fisticated? We ain't fisticated naw-suh. But a nicer bunch of Folks you'll never meet. Everybody has their druthers of where they wish to live. I hope everybody is as happy where they are as I am where I am and I've been all over this Country and I wouldn't live no where except Alabama.
What on earth are you talking about???? ..Whatever it is, it doesn't relate to the posts above yours.

Old 11-17-2009, 08:29 AM

7 posts, read 16,071 times
Smile Original meaning of "hillbilly" NOT Southern origin

Believe it or not, "hillbilly" originally was the term commonly used for Michigan farmers by Michiganders living in the major metropolitan areas of Detroit and that Eastern region of Michigan! It most typically included folks in Western (lower peninsula) Michigan and the Northern Michigan (upper peninsula).

The misconception held today of the typical(?) "hillbilly" was prescribed by the once-popular television show "The Beverly Hillbillies" (which my family in NE Arkansas detested because it taught too many folks that those not born in the North or the West were inferior in intellect (yes, Jeff Foxworthy, bless his heart, has in many ways perpetuated the myth, but at least he uses the phrase "red neck" and not "hillbilly").

Understand, the South, after the U S Civil War (more commonly known below the Mason-Dixon line as "The War Between the States"), was destitute financially and lacked access to decent treatment by the Northern States for nearly a century afterward...not much really changed until after WWII. Of course some aspects of the Southern mindset still is viewed as backward to many Northerners...but that is only because they don't consider the full spread of consequencs of the loss of the U S Civil War by the South in terms of infrastructure, public education, politics, etc. during what was called "reconstruction" after that war between the states. There was pretty much two or more "lost generations" in the
Southland and it does take time to "catch up." Many Southerners retained their love of family, looked to keep or revive their pre-Civil War heritage, kept their views of christian faith and held no little anger toward the North for the era of "carpetbaggers" and "Northern occupation."

Coming from Southern roots myself, but raised primarily in Western Michigan, I can see that over my 62 years of life so far that as modern society moved to retirement meccas in Florida it also brought with it drugs, more government intervention in ones' day-to-day life, and more secular mindsets (contrary to the "Bible belt" though common to much of the Southland).

I have met rednecks, "closet rednecks (those who still have problems with race, but keep that fact from all but those folks closest to them)", "damn yankees (almost all those folks in the South love Yankees who come South and spend their money, and then go back home...but a "damn Yankee" is one who comes to the South and then stay, or stay far too long!" and quite a few "transplants" that love the big city but detest the smell of farms and the simple lives of most Southern-born Americans still living in the South (both white, black, hispanic, asian, etc., etc.).

At least food for thought, is it not?

Old 11-20-2009, 02:34 PM

11 posts, read 24,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gr99a05 View Post
This website appears to be filled with pages and pages of Northerners talking about moving South and not much else.... I prefer Southern culture but it seems to me that that is starting to disappear, even in the Deep South.
Modernization has allowed people to migrate more than they did in generations past. We're interconnected in ways our grandparents couldn't imagine. The result is that our accents have moderated and our cultural distinctions are blurred. On the up side, we have unlimited opportunities for life experiences that previous generations didn't enjoy.

That said, we all love "home" and the warm-fuzzies brought on by our very best childhood memories. So, if you really miss old-time Southern culture, move to a small community in an isolated corner of the Deep South and try not to live too long... eventually the 21st century will come find you!

Old 11-23-2009, 07:05 PM

207 posts, read 324,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingImport View Post
I agree completely! What is wrong with being liberal??
There is nothing wrong with it just as long as you don't enforce it on those who choose to be conservative. I thought liberals were supposed to be tolerant of all beliefs. Why is it only white conservatives that you show such hatred towards?

And I don't like these comments about "close minded conservatives enforcing their way of life on everyone". Okay, how are we the ones enforcing our way of life on people when we are staying put right here in our own territory? Why is it okay for liberals to come down here and try to change us? You are the ones who are close minded. I don't see too many Southerners heading North pounding Bibles in the cities and trying to open up barbeque places while tearing down coffee shops.

Last edited by gr99a05; 11-23-2009 at 07:15 PM..

Old 11-23-2009, 07:09 PM

207 posts, read 324,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthroamer21 View Post
Modernization has allowed people to migrate more than they did in generations past. We're interconnected in ways our grandparents couldn't imagine. The result is that our accents have moderated and our cultural distinctions are blurred. On the up side, we have unlimited opportunities for life experiences that previous generations didn't enjoy.

That said, we all love "home" and the warm-fuzzies brought on by our very best childhood memories. So, if you really miss old-time Southern culture, move to a small community in an isolated corner of the Deep South and try not to live too long... eventually the 21st century will come find you!

It is these sort of smarty answers I don't like. I am not suggesting we bar Northerners from coming down here. All I am saying is I don't want to see the South as I know it disappear. My wishes and desires here are completely normal and human (healthy). Look around the world. All cultures value themselves and wish to cling to their traditions.....and to not be overcome and destroyed by different cultures. Why is it only here in Western countries that we consider it close minded and hateful to want to preserve your way of life?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama