Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2006, 04:06 PM

442 posts, read 2,913,034 times

Advertisements

Wow seems like everyone from florida is moving to Alabama...
We arrre interested in the Dothan and surrounding areas... Right now we live in Kissimmee and It is simply just to busy, to crowded and in my opinion not a good place to raise a family any more...we want somewhere that the public schools are good crime is low and has a small town atmosphere...My Husband works for Mclane and could transfer to the Dothan Plant...IM a nurse and could problably get a job any where...
thanks
AJ

so no one can offer any information about Dothan and surrounding areas...?

Last edited by Marka; 07-19-2006 at 09:20 AM.. Reason: m
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2006, 07:17 AM

6 posts, read 26,926 times
Most banks offer foreclosed properties for sale. You can visit: removed. You may find something on that web that may assist you

Last edited by Marka; 07-19-2006 at 09:21 AM..

Old 07-19-2006, 01:12 PM

thanks...
but i would like some info about the area ...Not so much the housing i can see that online...i just want to know more about the "culture" of Dothan...Like small town, big town, bustling city ...? don;t live in dothan?...

Old 08-01-2006, 07:11 PM

3 posts, read 22,912 times
I am delighted to hear you are considering making Dothan, Alabama your new
>home. Dothan has so much to offer: recreation, education, and -above all-
>peaceful surroundings for your family. [moderator CUT]
>Martha Conner [CUT]

Last edited by Marka; 08-02-2006 at 10:05 AM..

Old 08-02-2006, 03:55 PM

could you offer me some insight , maybe some web sites
are there new homes being built new Subdivisions? any thing would help we are looking to comeup there for a mini vacation to check things out

Old 08-04-2006, 05:52 PM

52 posts, read 329,768 times
We just moved up here from FL three weeks ago, bought a new home in Slocomb which is just outside Dothan in Geneva County.

Being that we are a bit further out than I wanted to be we are still adjusting, things are a bit different up here than they are is SW FL.

Dothan will get real busy on the weekends we have found, so best to go do things during the week, but seems like we been running in and out of town for one thing or another. It is not so bad after you get used to it and fing your way around and then find the short cuts.

Builder has a slab poured for the house next door, not even started yet, found out after we got the house that the property taxes in Geneva county are even lower than Houston. I am not going to sit here and lie to you and tell you that we do not miss SW FL, but I sure do not miss the high Insurance/Taxes & Flood Insurance bills.

If you plan on coming up for a visit I would suggest that you stay at the Holiday Inn South on 231 & the circle, they had the best rate & breakfast for the $$ & a pool.

Old 08-05-2006, 06:06 AM

Homey,
Thanks....
Im not sure that i will miss this area as it is way to crowded and traffic is Horrid.. not to mention the Language and Cultural issue here...we are looking for a nice safe place to raise kids...
I will not miss the high cost of things down here either....
I will have to look in to Slocomb..thanks again!

Old 08-05-2006, 06:23 PM

52 posts, read 329,768 times
Not going to lie to you and tell you that we do not miss Punta Gorda, we were less than a mile to the Harbor and the water, and we do have a need to find some sort of venue that will offer us some of what we were acustom to there (in time).

I guess from what I am seeing, Dothan is a hub, a magnet if you will, and people come into Dothan from all over? for one reason or another. As far as the school and kids go, I can not even come close to finding and answer for you, we are past that stage, but you will not have to worry about 15 different langauages, just as long as you can get the "You all" in there everything will be good.

Let me know if you get up here, we would be glad to meet up with yea, I think you will find the houseing very afforadable and new houseing even better than where you are. From where you are it should only be about a five hour drive for you, and easy ride, took us seven hours to get here.

Come on up, we'll leave the light on for yea

Old 08-05-2006, 07:17 PM

18 posts, read 82,771 times
Default dothan area

we are from central east coast and have just bought outside dothan(40 miles)between abbeville and eufaula. we just love the area, rural, great freidly people, very affordable living and an easy climate. we have been hard at finding and looking there since feb and finnaly set the hook. i highly recomend this area and state. we wont be moving for a while but just cant wait! any help i can offer just ask.........all the best

Old 08-15-2006, 08:23 AM

12 posts, read 55,761 times
Default Florida Exodus

Sorry I cannot offer any information at all. But your comment about everyone moving to Alabama from Florida is interesting. Why do you say that? I have a subdivision near Oxford that I believe would be of interest to a number of different groups and if there is an interested population in Florida I would like to pursue it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama