Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-16-2009, 07:08 PM

4 posts, read 12,759 times

Advertisements

hello every one, my family is moving to athens alabama from upstate ny. i been reading alot of posts and have much good written, having a hard time though finding info on taxes, electric costs, heating costs, things in that nature. from what i see athens alabama would be a happy middle point, not the freezing 10 ft of snow im used to and not the above 100 degrees most the summer of florida, any info would be nice. thank you and will meet you all soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2009, 09:29 AM

4,923 posts, read 11,148,670 times
Athens used to be a very quiet, quintessential Southern town...pretty, active downtown square with a courthouse, lots of beautiful antebellum homes. It's experienced a lot of growth in the last 30 years due to it's neighbors to the east, Madison and Huntsville. Athens is becoming more and more a bedroom community of those two towns.

I don't have exact figures on taxes and electricity rates, but I lived for a short time in upstate NY. (I currently live in a neighboring county to Limestone county--Athens is the county seat. I have a lot of relatives in Athens and have had a lifetime of going to and living around Athens.) You will find taxes to be amazingly low comparatively speaking. Power rates are also lower.

I'd say Athens weather is in-between upstate NY and Florida's, but skewed toward the Florida side. The summers are hot and humid. Mild winters.

It's a very friendly town that is becoming more and more open as time goes due to more and more folks from elsewhere moving in. I don't mean that negatively, it's just, as with most small towns, Athens has been, well, kind of insular.

If you like smaller towns, you'll like Athens.

Old 10-22-2009, 11:41 AM

1 posts, read 3,153 times
Welcome, of all the areas in Alabama, the north is the best. I moved to Huntsville (next to Athens) from Long Island when I was 12. Housing prices are great, heating and cooling costs are about $200/month average, house taxes are amazing. We have a 2200 sq. ft. house on a 70x100 ft lot and our taxes are $560 this year. You can buy an excellent house for $160,000 - 250,000. As said above, Athens is a small town, but Huntsville is just 20 min away with an Art Museum, Space and Rocket Museum, Space Camp, Botanical Gardens, and numerous festivals. Alabama can frustrate when it comes to politics - very conservative, almost knee-jerk so. Upstate NY is beautiful (I used to live in Montreal), but you will find North Alabama also quite beautiful with lots of untouched wild areas.

Old 10-22-2009, 12:31 PM

23,987 posts, read 10,340,975 times
The City of Athens Alabama
AL - Alabama DMV Locations

Between tax assessor, utilities and DMV/Tag Office most of your questions should be answered.

Old 10-23-2009, 10:57 AM

23,534 posts, read 69,968,609 times
One major point - if you like zoning and don't mind intrusive zoning laws - live in the city limits. If you don't like them, live far enough out in the county that you won't be annexed by Athens or Madison.

Old 10-23-2009, 01:00 PM

4 posts, read 12,759 times
thank you all very much

Old 11-09-2009, 03:48 PM

6 posts, read 37,525 times
Default Athens

There is a pretty informative web site that has a lot of information on Athens Alabama. AthensPlus.com has local news, letters from the Mayor, local events and photo galleries as well as a links to local sites. And there is a site, tourathenshomes.com for homes for sale that also has some local links and homes for sale by owner and real estate agents in Athens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama