U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 12-15-2009, 12:37 PM
RCP RCP started this thread

3 posts, read 6,406 times
Default Unique, artsy, pedestrian friendly city

We are looking to relocate. We are hoping to find a place within about a 3-hour radius of Stone County Mississippi - so within an hour or so of Mobile. We are open to looking in Mississippi and Alabama.

We want to live close to downtown, be able to walk into town to the grocery or farmer's market, a book store or coffee shop, nice parks, independent restaurants, etc.

We want to live in a nice neighborhood with sidewalks - pedestrian friendly community.

We are interested in art, music and culture, supporting local shops, etc.

The only places we can think of in Alabama is Mobile. But, we're not sure if that seems quite right. I am definitely not a fan of Mobile traffic, but I do like the neighborhoods in Midtown, etc.

Any suggestions?

Quite honestly, we prefer the north... but want to remain close for family reasons. So, I am not sure if what we are looking for exists. Any help is greatly appreciated!
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2009, 08:58 PM

409 posts, read 964,721 times
You might try looking on the Eastern Shore, Daphne/Fairhope areas. Fairhope may just have everything you're looking for.

Old 12-16-2009, 01:18 AM

2,199 posts, read 2,751,431 times
Fairhope !

Old 12-16-2009, 04:24 AM

26,365 posts, read 51,689,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCP View Post

We want to live close to downtown, be able to walk into town to the grocery or farmer's market, a book store or coffee shop, nice parks, independent restaurants, etc.

We are interested in art, music and culture, supporting local shops, etc.

The only places we can think of in Alabama is Mobile. But, we're not sure if that seems quite right. I am definitely not a fan of Mobile traffic, but I do like the neighborhoods in Midtown, etc.

Any suggestions?

Quite honestly, we prefer the north... but want to remain close for family reasons. So, I am not sure if what we are looking for exists. Any help is greatly appreciated!
With those desires, it is OK if it is also near 24/7 cars pulling in and out of these retail parking lots, parking lot lights, people waiting for buses, people sleeping on benches, delivery trucks and their air brakes at 5AM, street people, etc? Because often these go hand in hand.

Old 12-16-2009, 05:39 AM

13,477 posts, read 21,480,068 times
I agree Fairhope

Post link not copyrighted material

Old 12-16-2009, 09:15 AM

299 posts, read 551,174 times
I would look into dowtown Mobile. Other than lack of retail and a grocery store within walking distance, it has everything else you mentioned. Farmer's market on Saturday morning. Serda's or Mostly Muffins for coffee. Bienville Books. Beinville Square, Cathedral Square, Cooper Riverside Park, we will have Mardi Gras Park after the courthouse finishes up. Lots of restaurants and bars, good music scene (local and big), lots of galleries, Artwalk the second Friday of every month, Crescent Theatre. Traffic isn't bad, except for Airport at rush hour, but if you lived (and worked) downtown you wouldn't have to deal with that. For a place to live, look into De Tonti and Oakleigh (unless you wanted a condo or apt- which could be downtown).

Also, Fairhope is nice. They have more kind of touristy shops (gift shops) but also have a bookstore and some coffee shops. There are also some good restaurants and galleries. They have a really nice waterfront park and a little "beach." There are also some cool festivals they have, for example Arts & Crafts Festival. I don't know, I'm probably leaving something off. Someone who lives there could help me out.

Really either place could work, just go check each one out.

Old 12-17-2009, 01:38 AM

164 posts, read 278,532 times
Midtown and Fairhope would be good choices. They both appeal to people for similar reasons. What you have to keep in mind is that they are two completely different worlds with similar goals.
Fairhope is more of a resort town, and Midtown Mobile is primarily geared toward urban renewal. They both have the local shops, restaurants, and grocery stores that people can walk to. They both are areas where people strongly support the arts.
I've found the people in both communities to be very welcoming and kind toward new people.

So the best of luck to you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama