Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do You think Alabama should Revive Football Series with Georgia Tech?
Yes 9 69.23%
No 4 30.77%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2011, 06:51 PM

725 posts, read 1,278,850 times

Advertisements

I am thinking about starting a petition to send to both schools to revive the rivalry in a home-home series, but was wondering if there is any interest on the Alabama side. It would be pointless to have a petition with just one fan base, it would be stronger if there where a mix.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2011, 08:59 AM

6,048 posts, read 18,415,087 times
If Georgia Tech had a team on par with Alabama or Georgia, then yes. The line "send the Yellow Jackets to a watery grave" in Alabama's fight song currently don't make sense without playing Georgia Tech.
The reason behind Alabama's animosity with Georgia Tech has pretty much been forgotten.

Old 11-25-2011, 06:14 PM

709 posts, read 2,180,323 times
They played Georgia State and Georgia Southern the last two years, a home home with Georgia Tech would be good for both schools.

Old 11-27-2011, 02:15 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,759,131 times
Was it not GTech that left the SEC? So why should UA go to any lengths to revive the series? Spread the money around to schools that need it for non conference play. It pays will to have the tide visit, even if it means get rolled by four or five touchdowns.

Old 11-30-2011, 06:05 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,909,282 times
So what IS the reason for UA's animosity with Tech? And being a UGA grad I should be shot for saying this, but Tech's football legacy is so much more storied than the Dawgs. There is so much history tied to Tech's program it's amazing. I wish they were more "consistenly" competitive (and not up and down from year to year like ... oh ... say ... AUBURN? Ha!) And it has been only 20 years since the Jackets last won a national title, unlike UGA's 31 years. Geez, I probably should shut up now or else turn in my diploma ...

Old 12-01-2011, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
So what IS the reason for UA's animosity with Tech? And being a UGA grad I should be shot for saying this, but Tech's football legacy is so much more storied than the Dawgs. There is so much history tied to Tech's program it's amazing. I wish they were more "consistenly" competitive (and not up and down from year to year like ... oh ... say ... AUBURN? Ha!) And it has been only 20 years since the Jackets last won a national title, unlike UGA's 31 years. Geez, I probably should shut up now or else turn in my diploma ...
The Alabama-Georgia Tech Rivalry has alot of history.

One of the reasons Tech left the SEC was because of a feud between Bobby Dodd and Bear Bryant about discipline.

The Alabama's band got ist name after a 33-7 loss to tech an atlanta reporter asked the alabama AD, "you don't have much of a team, what do you have?" He replied, "A Million Dollar Band"

And don't feel down on uga, you guys have arguably the greatist college football player of all time in Herschel Walker.

Old 12-01-2011, 10:55 AM

1,299 posts, read 2,270,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StAubin View Post
I am thinking about starting a petition to send to both schools to revive the rivalry in a home-home series, but was wondering if there is any interest on the Alabama side. It would be pointless to have a petition with just one fan base, it would be stronger if there where a mix.
Sorry but the ACC is WEAK, WEAK, WEAK. If Alabama is going to renew a rivalry it needs to be with someone who has enough fans to fill up a 50K seat stadium which the Techies can't seem to do on a consistent basis. I am a born and bred Atlantian and GA Tech doesnt get respect from most circles because it left the SEC, BIG MISTAKE, it has a stadium on par with most MAC schools, LAUGHABLE and they have ALWAYS played second fiddle to UGA. Sorry but GA Tech should stick to playing the NC States of the world and leave REAL football where it belongs in the SEC. It KILLS me that a state as large a Georgia only has 2 Div 1 schools who play football and one of them is GA Tech.

Old 12-01-2011, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suprascooby22 View Post
Sorry but the ACC is WEAK, WEAK, WEAK. If Alabama is going to renew a rivalry it needs to be with someone who has enough fans to fill up a 50K seat stadium which the Techies can't seem to do on a consistent basis. I am a born and bred Atlantian and GA Tech doesnt get respect from most circles because it left the SEC, BIG MISTAKE, it has a stadium on par with most MAC schools, LAUGHABLE and they have ALWAYS played second fiddle to UGA. Sorry but GA Tech should stick to playing the NC States of the world and leave REAL football where it belongs in the SEC. It KILLS me that a state as large a Georgia only has 2 Div 1 schools who play football and one of them is GA Tech.
Oh god not this sec stuff. I am sorry but the sec only has rhree teams this year, lsu Alabama and Georgia in that order. All other schools tech would probably dominate with the exception of Arkansas( whom I think tech would beat but in a close game)

Also how does tech play second fiddle to a team that it has more national titles than and has been ranked as a more prestigious program than.

Yes tech has fallen from the nation stage scince 1990 which is why I would like to see a series started with Alabama. Having a traditional rivalry like that is good for re during and a tougher schedule can help a team improve itself kind of like playing with a weighted bat.

Old 12-02-2011, 07:55 AM

*recruiting

Old 12-02-2011, 08:20 AM

13,709 posts, read 21,909,282 times
Yes I love UGA but my Dawg brethren do indeed like to live in a state of denial when it comes to the storied history of Georgia Tech athletics. And the fact remains, ACC or not, the Jackets have won conference titles in the past decade and do compete very well on the national stage. As memorable a season 1980 was ... and incredible an athlete Herschel Walker was ... some of us are a bit tired of UGA simply getting by on the memories of one ... very ... long ... ago ... national ... title ... season. This is 2011 for crying out loud -- DELIVER!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama