Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2007, 12:29 PM

9 posts, read 41,926 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

As I have checked the archives and did not see anything on Northport I am now requesting that anyone knowing anything about the city do fill me in on your opinion of it.
Thanks, I appreciate it

Abigail
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2007, 09:39 PM

20 posts, read 97,938 times
I currently live in Tuscaloosa. I've never actually lived in Northport, but I know that is pretty family-oriented. The schools are pretty good, I believe. Entertainment is usually found in T-town. There are some nice expensive houses around there. Best of all...CITY CAFE!!!

Old 09-24-2007, 03:06 PM

1 posts, read 3,585 times
I own a home on Main Ave. in downtown historic Northport. I am also employed approx 2 miles from my home. My church, St. Mark UMC is about 2 miles away. There is a great new paved and lit riverwalk for exercise about a half-mile from my house. In other words, in 2007, I still do not have to use my truck to get around town. I can walk or ride my bike to most places. In downtown there is an amazing art community with several art galleries as well as City Cafe and "the Globe", a chef-owned restaurant that has excellent cuisine as well as a great wine selection. The riverfront is currently undergoing a complete revitalization and the low-rent properties are slowly being torn down. There are endless historic homes from the early 1900's that are just waiting to be restored. If only I had a few million!

The rest of Northport is a great mix of country life and city life. The country, I mean cows and old bob-wire fences are about 20 minutes outside of town. The other direction is the University of Alabama and the largest medical facility this side of Birmingham, DCH. Downtown Tuscaloosa is right across the bridge and there you will find a great night life and dining.

Hopefully this shed some light on Northport, and why I live here.

Old 09-24-2007, 03:48 PM

763 posts, read 3,835,006 times
Northport is Tuscaloosa's "suburbia" and as such has larger household incomes, lower crime etc.

I lived there 25 years ago and it has grown tremendously since then. Most of the Uinversity of Alabama faculty, as well as Mercedes Benz and JVC management personnel live there.

Northport has strong municipal leadership which includes excellent city planning....The county population (including students is about 200,000) and is growing at a good clip with lots of new retail on the way...

Old 09-24-2007, 08:24 PM

557 posts, read 1,674,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alabama77 View Post
In downtown there is an amazing art community with several art galleries
IMO, it is a stretch to call Northport's art community "amazing". Yes, there are a few studios (a great blacksmith shop) and a handful of galleries, but the art hanging in the galleries is generally no better than average. Tuscaloosa, on the other hand, does have a couple of really nice galleries with work that blows away what you would see in Northport. The first Thursday of every month, Northport teams up with Tuscaloosa to host "Art Night". There is even a shuttle that goes back and forth between galleries in the two communities. That is probably worth going to for the food and drink, if nothing else.

Northport does host the annual Kentuck Art Festival every October. That is a pretty good folk art show which draws entries from not only the South, but many other states as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama