Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2010, 07:06 AM

2,994 posts, read 5,769,430 times

Advertisements

I recently went to a small restaurant on Dauphin Island, Al . and ordered a complete fish dinner and a cup of water which I dispensed from the common beverage machine on a table . I didnt realize it till later, that i was charged $.50 for it. While that amount of money isnt going to break me, Im wondering if this is lawful for a restaurant to do in Alabama. I was always told establishments cannot charge you for water. Does anyone know the written law on this ? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2010, 07:11 AM

44,348 posts, read 20,047,057 times
Laws vary widely from state to state. I live in NW Indiana, and have been charged for water on occasion in both Indiana and Illinois. The cost isn't just for the water; it's for the ice, for washing the glass and for the service as well. While it bugs the heck out of me when places charge for water, I do understand why some feel they need to do that. I suspect it's legal in all states. No one is forcing customers to purchase water. Although, they should make it clear on the menu that there is a charge for water. If you don't want to pay for it at that particular place, BYO next time.

Old 01-20-2010, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ8 View Post
Laws vary widely from state to state. I live in NW Indiana, and have been charged for water on occasion in both Indiana and Illinois. The cost isn't just for the water; it's for the ice, for washing the glass and for the service as well. While it bugs the heck out of me when places charge for water, I do understand why some feel they need to do that. I suspect it's legal in all states. No one is forcing customers to purchase water. Although, they should make it clear on the menu that there is a charge for water. If you don't want to pay for it at that particular place, BYO next time.
It was a styrofoam cup, no ice, and the cup is tossed in the trash when done. Its like if they cant soak you for a soda , theyll make you pay for a basic requirement to wash their food down (which was also served on a styrofoam plate) . I think they have a nerve based on principle. The very least they should do, is not list the water charge seperately on the reciept.. and put it into the price of the dinner so people dont get indignant about it.

Last edited by 007.5; 01-20-2010 at 07:32 AM.. Reason: add

Old 01-20-2010, 07:47 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,182,471 times
.50 for water ?

I can get coffee at Ma and Pa's Kettle in Cameron MO for .25 and it probably is a nicer place than that restaurant in Dauphin Island AL.

What a rip-off !

Old 01-20-2010, 07:51 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,571,506 times
Sounds strange to me. Usually when I order ice water it's free. I drank water last night at Pizza Hut and there was no charge on my receipt.

Old 01-20-2010, 08:50 AM

1,178 posts, read 2,836,922 times
I have never been charged for water anywhere in AL or WI or traveling all over the STATES. I wonder if on Dauphin Island that fresh water is expensive and so they pass the charge on?

Old 01-20-2010, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mawoods View Post
I have never been charged for water anywhere in AL or WI or traveling all over the STATES. I wonder if on Dauphin Island that fresh water is expensive and so they pass the charge on?
Doesnt matter. They should bury the cost of the water then into the food prices . Ive been charged for water approx. 3-4 times in the past in various parts of the country, but mainly down south.

Old 01-20-2010, 11:11 AM

23,589 posts, read 70,358,767 times
Oooh! I KNOW this law. Or at least what it was 30 years ago. In Alabama you cannot charge for a DRINK of water or refuse to serve it if you have a food license. If someone has the need to use the water to swallow a pill, you have to supply at least a dispenser cup. Remember those little paper cups on the side of a water cooler?

However, if someone requests water in a particular cup, or for ice, you may charge for the cup. The issue used to be a serious problem in movie theatres, because people would come in with cans of soft and not so soft drinks, then go to the concession stand and ask for a cup of water. By pouring the water out in the restroom and pouring the drink into a theatre cup, they were less conspicuous. Once other folks started seeing these cups being handed out for free, many would buy a mega-drink and ask for cups so that the kids in the family could share it. Inventory control is a vital theft preventive measure, and eventually salable cups were no longer allowed to be "spoiled" off without a major hassle. At one point, 7 oz cups were even supplied free for the purpose of pills, sharing drinks, and so on. That led to the concession workers using those cups for personal use, and the waste of those cups went to incredible levels. Going through 200 or 300 a week was not unusual.

The problem was brought to a screeching halt when theatres and concession companies insisted the free water be only at the public water fountain in the lobby, and supplied ONLY the dispenser cups (which cannot be set down on a surface without spilling the water) to anyone requesting pill cups or sharing cups.

My guess is that somewhere in that restaurant was a public drinking fountain. If not, a call to the health department would likely rectify the situation.

Old 01-20-2010, 12:06 PM

44,348 posts, read 20,047,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 007.5 View Post
Doesnt matter. They should bury the cost of the water then into the food prices . Ive been charged for water approx. 3-4 times in the past in various parts of the country, but mainly down south.
I do agree with you, 007.5. I think it stinks when a restaurant or theatre charges for water (unless it's bottled). It's nuts. You're right, that it should be included in the food prices. Even though I don't like it though, I've known folks in the restaurant business, and it was an eye opener when they told me how much it costs them to make all that ice for water glasses. That's why a lot of restaurants, even upscale ones, no longer automatically put glasses of water on the tables for all of the patrons. They're happy to bring water out if people ask for it, but it seems silly to put it at every place when some people do not drink water with their meals. As for me, I drink 2-4 glasses with a meal. Gotta have my water! But I would not pay for it. (I know I'm a smidge off point.) Anyway, I do understand why some places charge. It should ALWAYS be made clear to the patrons, though.

Your experience of being surprised to find the water charge on your bill reminds me of one restaurant in my town which charges for those styrofoam take-home containers for leftovers. They serve huge portions there, and most people can't finish it all. The first time I went there, I found a 35-cent charge on my bill for the takeout container. When I go there now, I bring my own container for the leftovers!

Old 01-20-2010, 12:31 PM

4,739 posts, read 10,434,489 times
Like harry chickpea says, you were charged for the cup. IIRC McDs and other fast food places used to charge a dime.

Keep in mind you were on an island where potable water is a precious resource. Lots of resort areas try to limit water usage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
View detailed profiles of: