U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2006, 07:28 PM

3 posts, read 23,269 times

Advertisements

My company wants me to transfer to Montgomery. I have friends in Tuscaloosa but unfortunately they are also new to the area and don't know much about Montgomery. Is it a safe area to raise children? I have an 8 year old. How are the schools? We are looking for a community that is extremely family oriented, safe and clean where the houses are affordable. Any info would be extremely helpful
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2006, 11:53 AM

27 posts, read 118,321 times
I think if you research the demographics of Montgomery, you'll have most of your answers. Like any fairly large city, the inner city is fraught with crime, etc. There are some suburbs to the North and East of Montgomery proper that looked pretty good to me when I was considering moving there last year.

And regarding the hate spread... I think people should have a choice as to what the characteristics of their neighbors have, and that's not "hate", that's free will. Though I think it should have been addressed differently.

Last edited by RonHei; 07-30-2006 at 12:20 PM..

Old 07-31-2006, 09:39 AM

1 posts, read 20,554 times
I have lived in Montgomery for 20 years now and can give some advice. If buying a home in Montgomery, move to the extreme east section of town for safety and do not send your child to public schools in Montgomery. The public school system in Montgomery is awful academically and none of the schools are safe. The kids bring weapons into the elementary schools. However there are numerous private schools in town and there is bound to be one that would suit the needs of your child.

Old 08-21-2006, 11:50 AM

1 posts, read 20,553 times
Default wake up montgomery

My husband and I just relocated to Montogemery by the way of New York and Georgia and like other parents we want to provide our daughter with a safe and nurturing community where she will learn to respect all people regardless of their skin color. My daughter has been a straight "A" student since first grade (she also has friends of all races/ethnic groups) and my husband and I are hardworking people who take care of their property as well as look after their neighbors. Guess what? We are dark-as you call it!!
I am ashamed to know that in America today their are stiill so many racist and uncaring people who could care less about their fellow human beings. I got news for you I have lived near some white families that no one would want to have as next door neighbors...consequently dark does not mean bad or good nor white good or bad. People are people and no matter where you live...you pray to have good and caring neighbors. Another wake up fact the United States is changing and blacks are no longer the largest minority, nor do they control the economic power in this country..we do not bring all of the problems...look around and get educated. Also know that many blacks are returning to their family routes which, for most due to slavery, is the South... we are Americans!! Yes, one of the readers are right you should have choice where you should live but, make sure that in deciding what safety means for your family, prejudice or ignorance is not one of the factors. I pray that the man inquiring about a safe, clean and family oriented neighborhood for his family/children finds it regardless of the race of the family that may be living next door...good luck!!

Last edited by dharris; 08-21-2006 at 12:04 PM..

Old 09-16-2006, 02:35 AM

3 posts, read 31,245 times
I agree with you dharris and I am white. I have lived near whites that were much worse than the dark people that I am friends with. It has nothing to do with color of skin. It is what is on the inside of the person and how that person was raised. This is the deep south and unfortunatly, it is still about 50 years behind the rest of the civilized world. It is sad that even after all the laws that have been passed about treatment of people, these things still go on.

Old 10-22-2006, 02:26 PM
BBG

6 posts, read 65,491 times
I lived in Montgomery for many years and moved finally 2 years ago thank God. I would never put my kids in a public school there and private will cost you alot. I still have family there and want them to move also. The crime is awful, just go look it up. Stay clear of Montgomery!

I never knew what racism was until I moved to Montgomery Alabama in the 80s, and it's not from the white people. There are a lot of problems with Alabama, and the South in general, so I would stay clear of it if you could. Also, Birmingham, which is the only real cool close city where you can do anything, has one of the worse air qualities in the country, check out airnow.com.

Last edited by Marka; 10-23-2006 at 03:14 AM.. Reason: merged

Old 11-16-2006, 07:59 AM

2 posts, read 22,895 times
Angry Unfortunate.

I've lived in Montgomery since 1989 (brought here by the USAF). I come from Northeast Alabama, and joined the Air Force to get away from the prejudice which runs rampant here in the South. After going to Korea and California, I was assigned back to Montgomery. At first, loved being close to home, but oh how this wears thin soon. I now am looking to move away. Racism is a very bad thing, and it goes both ways here. It's not just whites hating blacks, it's blacks hating whites, it's everybody. The radio stations here do not help matters either. They publicize, criticize, and make comments like "Never hear anyone count White on White crimes". This only perpetuates the problem. People are people, and until the South figures this out, they will tear themselves apart. I'm ashamed to say I'm from Alabama, mainly because of this racist environment I'm stuck in.

<just blowing off steam> <smile>

Old 11-16-2006, 02:01 PM

403 posts, read 1,290,198 times
Take a look at Prattville in Autauga County. I think it will meet your stated desires.

Old 11-20-2006, 11:11 PM

33 posts, read 132,820 times
Well, I have lived in Montgomery for over 30 years. I have lived through the worst of a mean old nasty mayor that toted a gun on his hip and fostered hatred to the not mean but patronizing big headed white guy mayor who is typical southern old family type that has brough to Montgomery growth it never would have seen under the previous regime.

Yes, you can live out on the east side where most folks do move. The shopping is better the schools are neighborhood oriented, the new subdivisions are on the east side. Or you can live in Prattville if you work at Maxwell AFB then that is the more convenient place to live.

I sent all three of my girls to public school in Montgomery. They survived. Each went on to college and each are living and working and doing well. Is there racism in Montgomery. Yes. There is bigotry every where. So you learn to deal with it. I am moving to Maine and I have encountered bigotry there too.

If you are African American and moving to Montgomery you are not outnumbered and hated like some few folks suggest. Most of the people in Montgomery are a nice mix of tolerance and diversity. In every town and every state there are folks who hate where they live. Home is what you make of it. It is where your family is. Regardless of what city or state. If you can come home to your loved ones, and you are warm and safe and there is hope, then you are alright and the world is alright.

I am an Air Force Brat and I understand moving every few years. You make your home and your happiness. No one does it for you. I have enjoyed my 30 plus years here. I could grow old here. I can grow old anywhere my family is. I don't ask a community to make me happy. You find peace and happiness where you seek it.

If you want to move to Montgomery come on down - it's just another southern town. Lots of growing pains. The schools are not full of guns and if you are looking for a nice place to live - try the east side - near Halcyon Park and Eastchase Shopping Center. There is a nice neighborhood school, good shopping and a nice diversity in the middle class neighborhoods.

Old 11-22-2006, 09:02 AM

104 posts, read 416,160 times
This is weird to hear about Mont. I've only been in the northern part of the city itself, doing some commuting from Bham down there. I thought it was a terrible looking place, but most places do look terrible from the highway and I never ventured into it more. I will say it's the first place I ever saw where they have a gas station which, at night time, will close its doors but stay open; if you go up and want to buy a bag of chips, the person behind the counter will come out from behind the counter, protected at all times by bullet proof glass, and go get your chips, then give them to you through a hole in the glass. Unreal. This was in what looked like a degenerate neighborhood and I only passed through it frequently as a back root to get to the beach whenever we'd drive there.

Really none of the public schools are any good? Most of the public schools in AL are shameful, but at least in Birmingham if one has the money to school their kids in Mountainbrook or Vestavia Hills or Hoover (at least for now, the school system is being weakened by tons of no-tax or low-tax people living in apartments.) their children will receive a solid education, one I don't think is substantially worse than the private schools there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama