Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2007, 08:44 AM

7 posts, read 31,377 times

Advertisements

Can anyone tell me about Talladega? Is anyone out there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2007, 11:08 AM

6,048 posts, read 18,416,504 times
Susan, sorry nobody has answered you. Guess we don't have anybody here from Talladega. What little I know is that it is a small town with a still-lively downtown. Close enough to Birmingham to commute, at least to the east side. Most residents wouldn't go near Talladega Raceway on race weekends. The state residential school for the blind and deaf is located there, although it's mostly deaf students that attend...blind students tend to stay at home or go to regular schools with extra help. The school is quite good and has students up through high school. The town is very good about working with them and the school. I'm sorry, I know nothing about neighborhoods or the public schools. Perhaps you can make a visit to see for yourself. Good luck!

Old 05-30-2007, 11:48 AM

Smile Thank You!

Thanks so much! We are coming to look next weekend. I am from Birmingham but have been in Jacksonville since 1992.I think I only came here to meet me husband! Sometimes it is good to go back home! Thanks again!!

Old 05-30-2007, 06:45 PM

134 posts, read 438,551 times
Talladega is a small, old town just south of the Anniston area. Not much going on though. There used to be more textile mills in the area, but many are closed now. To be honest, Talladega looks kind of depressing, but it seems like an affordable, quiet place to live.

Old 05-31-2007, 07:14 AM

Smile Thanks!!

Thanks for answering. I appericate your honesty. My family and I are coming to check it out very soon.

Old 05-31-2007, 03:30 PM

346 posts, read 1,778,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markdalton View Post
Talladega is a small, old town just south of the Anniston area. Not much going on though. There used to be more textile mills in the area, but many are closed now. To be honest, Talladega looks kind of depressing, but it seems like an affordable, quiet place to live.
Have you been there on race day?

Old 06-01-2007, 09:57 AM

Question No not yet

No not yet, but in Jacksonville we have the Jaugars game days so we know what those days are like. Can you tell me about the race days there?
Thanks!

Old 06-01-2007, 11:25 AM

6,048 posts, read 18,416,504 times
Remember, these are major NASCAR races...hundreds of thousands of people pouring in...these folks arrive mid-week, or even earlier, and lots and lots of them set up camp. Many of these folks are nice, but a high percentage are, ahem, undereducated, overnourished citizens who don't place a high value on the more refined aspects of Southern culture!!! Practice runs all week, minor races on Friday night and Saturday and the main event Sunday...the noise is unbelievable. Like Graceland, it's something everybody should experience at least once. Twice, both 35 years ago, were enough for me!

Old 06-02-2007, 06:31 AM

134 posts, read 438,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twostep View Post
Have you been there on race day?
Oh yeah, it's booming on race days. But the other times of the year, it's quiet. Some of my mother's relatives live there and they HATE race days. I used to live in the Anniston area (where most of the hotels are in the immediate area) and race days created alot more traffic hassles, but it's good for the economy.

Old 06-02-2007, 07:24 AM

346 posts, read 1,778,854 times
We lived in Anniston and fled to Atlanta during race week. Somewhere around 600 private planes/jets. It only lasts about two weeks each race. Birmingham is just a few miles with a four lane highway, Anniston is even closer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama