Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2010, 04:19 AM

210 posts, read 408,146 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
You forgot hunting innocent little animals then cooking and eating them or even, dare I say, mount them on the wall. Oh the horror. People eating animals! What is the world coming to. And fishing! How dare people put a hook in a fish's mouth and then kill and eat that poor innocent fish! Here, eat wheat grass and soy beans. Sorry, I'll take smoked meat falling off the bone over that animal food they eat.
Thanks for the info, my son's deer head will fit right in
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2010, 06:15 AM

24,529 posts, read 10,846,327 times
OP might want to make his mind up first. What shall it be AL or NM?

Yes, I do object when it comes to higher taxes for education. You have not paid a nickel into the AL pot but in your first post you questions if standards are good enough for your son and we better get used to the idea of you advocating for the struggling. This is not WI you will find out. Folks take the time to be cordial.

I showed up here a couple of years ago with a cat and a UHaul but with an open mind and willing to listen and learn. You got a job (why not a local?) and for whatever reasons (monetary probably) you will potentially move to AL. Please consider that YOU are the new kid on the block.

Tuscaloosa is a college town. During school a lot is going on which also means traffic and noise. Plenty of restaurants in all price ranges. Grocery prices are a bit over Atlanta. Your utilities will be high in summer as you are not used to 100F and 85% humidity. Maybe you will get used to it maybe not. Winters are mild; occasional snow; some freezes. You will meet your neighbors "on the beach" as everyone migrates to the Panhandle during summer weekends no matter how high gas prices are. Groceries you can google with Publix, WinnDixie, Brunos. WalMart is something you cannot avoid. Check out distances - everything is spread out. As long as you do not try to superimpose your way of life and your believes folks are generally friendly and forgiving when it comes to strangers with clipped voices, short tempers and always in a hurry.

Old 03-02-2010, 06:27 AM

210 posts, read 408,146 times
Default ???

Clipped voices, short-tempers, always in a hurry? Not sure what you are talking about

Old 03-02-2010, 07:56 AM

24,529 posts, read 10,846,327 times
Clipped voices, short-tempers, always in a hurry? Not sure what you are talking about

That is what folks from up there sound to locals. Read through some of the old posts. We had Northerners complain about cashiers making polite conversation instead of hurrying up. You will see what I am talking about:>)

Keeper - anyone
what happened to the quote function? Help!

Old 03-02-2010, 09:16 AM

6,048 posts, read 18,420,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest liberal View Post
Anyway, can I get some serious advice for my move?
Heh, heh (hands in pockets, kicking dust)...the thing is...we don't have a lot of Tuscaloosa residents on this forum. Got several folks who went to college there, and one or two current students...but very, very few who are adults living there now with mortgage, kids in school etc. When there is one, they tend to pop in for a day or two and then disappear.

So...we're doing what we can (in between squabbling, of course).

Yes, frankly, your OP did come over a little backhanded, and we tend to overreact because we hear this day in and day out from people who've never even passed through Alabama on the interstate. I apologize.

As for being welcomed as a Mid-westerner...we have a good many residents here in Decatur who are originally from Minnesota and Wisconsin, thanks to 3M, and used to have a lot of Michiganders and Ohioans thanks to the now-closed Delphi plant. Almost all fit in very well...many retired from the company and are still here...or on the coast. That seems to be true of most I've run across throughout Alabama.

I hope you'll visit Tuscaloosa before making a final decision. Do visit in the spring...the campus is just astounding, so beautiful with the flowering azaleas and columned buildings. There are some wonderful historic homes...great people...a nice touch of cultural activities thanks to UA, with more available just an hour up I-59 in Birmingham. Many people who live there tend to stay there for at least a few generations, or pine to get a job that will take them back there.

Old 03-02-2010, 09:28 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,596,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
Check out distances - everything is spread out.
^Good point.

Definitely don't come down here and start complaining about the lack of "walkable areas" and public transportation, that will probably get you some ugly looks.

Old 03-02-2010, 08:57 PM

309 posts, read 718,002 times
Tuscaloosa is a pretty liberal city, for Alabama. There are plenty of ways for you to get involved in the community here. Somebody posted a link to the Tuscaloosa News, make sure to check out the articles and forums to get a feel for the community. As far as schools go, some are better than others. Publics - go for Northridge, Hillcrest or County High. Privates - Holy Spirit is the best.

Old 03-03-2010, 07:02 AM

1,178 posts, read 2,837,795 times
Just one point. We lived in Madison, WI for 6 years so it is a little different down here. I think many of the posters have got it right about the attitude one should come with down here. We went to the upper Midwest with an open attitude and made wonderful friends and enjoyed our time up there. However, I did experience prejudice against southerners , our accents, etc. Very irrititating. I can tell you that Wisconsinites love to hunt, fish, and camp. I couldn't believe they camped in those little tents in the snow when it was in the 20s. you will fit in down here.southerners love to hunt, fish, and camp. However, I never met anyone that ate squirrel until we moved up there!!!!!! Please do not assume that because we talk slower and are from the south that we are all racist and uncaring. We are proud of our heritage and the abundance of writers, culture, and music that we have contributed to our great nation.

Old 03-03-2010, 09:09 AM

6,048 posts, read 18,420,189 times
Well said, Mawoods! (I'd rep ya, but I gotta spread it around some more, first.)

Midwest Liberal, you've got a sense of humor...that should take you anywhere!

Old 03-03-2010, 06:23 PM

234 posts, read 708,189 times
Midwest Liberal, I'm in school at Bama, I'm currently in my Junior year there and will likely still be in the city for the next three to four years. If you would like, you can PM (private message) me with specific questions you have and I'll do my best to answer them, anything I don't know, I can try to pry out of my aunt, who has lived here for decades.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama