Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2007, 11:31 AM

27 posts, read 124,994 times

Advertisements

A 2-3 bedroom place up here around my area in the northern suburbs of Birmingham is closer to 800-900.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2007, 12:09 PM

1 posts, read 2,066 times
I got rid of fire ants in my front yard with some Scott's fertilizer + fire ant preventer, and it shouldn't hurt your dog or cats if you water it in good. I have a lab that's always out in the front yard and the fertilizer never bothered her.

Also, my suggestion is to keep looking up in north AL. I live in Tuscaloosa (central part of AL) and I'm not very happy with it right now. I have inconsiderate neighbors, drivers are rude, and the service you get at most businesses is terrible. I'm originally from north AL and things were a little better there. I'm planning on moving to Arkansas in the near future.

Old 06-11-2007, 12:30 PM

3 posts, read 6,043 times
i think it depends on a person.Forexample i love my country,because this is the very place where i was born.And for me it does not matter that my country isn't rich and there are many gaps, i do believe we can make it better/It all in our hands.I don't want to move anywhere else, if only just to see

Old 06-11-2007, 01:06 PM

51 posts, read 293,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lookingtomove24 View Post
Hi Ronhei and everyone,----Anyone is welcome to take this

I am looking to move from upstate NY to somewhere warmer in the US. One place I am considering is Alabama, I suppose Birmingham or some other large city. I'm happy in warm/hot/humid or dry climates. Have 2 cats and a Chihuahua. No kids. I'm looking for an area that is a lot less expensive to own or rent. Give me a library, supermarket, A place to worship good people I can be friends with, the internet and few places to eat and I'm a happy camper where ever I am! I just need to do it cheaper. Saw photos online of Alabama and they are beautiful.

Am puzzled by comments on why you emphasize living in a less multicultural area, are minority people of a different quality in your home state? I mean people are people and good and bad come from all races, colors and religions, no? Or is it that different in the South that I need to live in a single culture community?? I'm not trying to set you up with this question -I'm serious.

The ants and bugs might be a problem for my pets but they and I can adjust.

So, Is Alabama a good place to move to? Online it looks incredible, and reasonable to afford. NY is really impossible to live in.

Our summers up here are very humid and high in the 90's and I survive without an A/C and usually without a fan-cause I was raised that way and well, I can't afford the A/c for sure. My county has the highest electric rates in the state and maybe in the Northeast or the country -I forget which. Plus I don't mind the heat or humidity.

And your cities seem to offer lots more then I'm offered up here.
But what is the housing like? It is 1/2 to 1/3 the cost of up here just on rent prices alone.

Is this because the prices are just cheaper or because the places are uhm---- really awful and trashy????
I think Huntsville would suit you economically and culturally. The cost of housing is going to be comparatively lower than a vast majority of the country, especially the Northeast US. And yes, you will find some "really awful and trashy" along with multi-million dollar mansions. But, in most cases, you will find a much greater value in housing for your money in Alabama. Property taxes are miniscule, too.

As for the multi-cultural thing, the great thing about the South is you can choose to live wherever you want and decide for the most part what the cultural mix is. Enjoy.

Old 06-11-2007, 02:11 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,194,689 times
You really should check out some of the smaller towns around H'ville. Housing is a bargin in the smaller towns. Arab is about 20 minutes south of H'ville (rush hour 35-40) and 15 minutes from Guntersville.
Arab is your typical small southern town. We have very little crime, traffic and most houses have big yards. If you don't mind a smaller older home in a nice area you can rent one for around 400-500 a month or you can buy an older house in a nice neighborhood here for less than a 100K. Electric is cheap due to TVA. Property taxes are VERY LOW compared to other states. Mine was less than 200.00 a year. Vets are very reasonable and that is important when you have as many animals as I do. Never had a problem with fire ants either.
My house, 1450 sq ft was built back in the 60s but is all brick with 3/4 acre fenced lot.

You can get just about anything you want or need here but if you are looking to eat out at night there aren't many places open after 7 pm except fast food places. Guntersville is a 'wet' city and have lots of restaurants. If you are looking for a mall or a movie then you would have to drive to Huntsville.
I am retired on SS and pension but I make it just fine here.

Huntsville is a very diverse city mainly due to Redstone Arsenal.

If you would like to see my house I can PM you some pictures

Old 06-14-2007, 08:13 AM

17 posts, read 73,464 times
Default 10 Q all!

Hi Keeper, and everyone,
Thank you all for your replies so far. I am more and more seriously looking at Alabama. Huntsville or surrounding areas.

I'll pass on the mansions and fancy homes thank you. I'll take a small 1-2 br older home with character and style and class. I don't need fancy or new. It's a lot less cleaning to do to. And I don't care about impressing people. If I can ever get into my pants both feet at the same time then I'll consider myself "superior" to someone else. Until then for me, it's hard enough being a good person from the inside out and I find more often then not that it's easier to be classy and authentic without too many external trappings.

Although, I have to have indoor plumbing(shower, toilet, sinks)

It's not the those with money can't be authentic and genuine and wonderful it's just harder cause of more pressure to keep up an image for society.

I am such a social butterfly who also loves quiet times and being behind the scenes. So, a few restaurants, places to go to, and I'm a happy puppy.

Although, I do tend to learn where every available bathroom in a city is, lolol as I take after my dad's side of the family, Bless his heart(in a good way!) I'm trying to learn your slang.

Up here we'd be saying: That boy ain't right. lolol

I'll have other questions soon.

Old 06-17-2007, 07:24 AM

17 posts, read 73,464 times
Default 2Step, Keeper, IDVague

Yes TwoStep I would enjoy seeing pictures of your home. I'm not computer savvy so how is this privately done? Also, how do I look up posts between you and mp33?

I am definitely into Huntsville or perhaps Arab as you suggest. I have time to find out and plan. I don't wish to give out too much information but I could live off the system or on the system in those 2 places far better then I can here and in a warmer climate. So, GO ME! Probably friendlier too.

Since I don't understand the difference in the type of climate between NY and Alabama, am I able to walk around to every where if I lived in Huntsville 2Step? It's hot, humid up here too, but I often walk, 6 -9 miles a day. My goal is to up this to 12 miles a day by September. I know in Orange County, California in the 70's when I visited there, they warned me that no one walks there cause of the weather. So?

Keeper and IDVague, Thank you and SallyMary(hope I got your name right!)for all the info and suggestions. I will utilize them.

If I live in Huntsville, will I still really need a car? I'll bet they are less expensive to buy and insure there then they are in NY any way.

As for taxes on homes, are you guys ready for this???

In the 80's when I lived in Bucks County, PA? It was common for homes, probably comparable to yours, now, ----for their taxes to be $30,000 a YEAR. I worked in some of them. I also worked in more expensive homes where one couple was spending back then $9,000 for just 1 of their couches. That's right, a couch. One couch.

Must be nice to burn that kind of money for your butt to sit on, why many people are struggling to pay off medical bills that are wiping them out.

This man also made his fortune selling beer to keep people as alcoholics, so while I often quietly cheer people on who have money, I didn't this time.

Looking to move

Old 07-19-2007, 05:14 PM

247 posts, read 1,115,456 times
Unless you REALLy like to sweat, you can't live down here without a/c. I've been to upstate N.Y. in the summer, the heat doesn't compare. It's usually late september or even october before you can expect daytime temps below the 90's. Utility bills can be VERY expensive depending on your system, the size of your house ect.
It's true that property taxes are much cheaper and housing in general may also be less depending on the city. Keep in mind that while prices may be cheaper, wages are also less. Sometimes a lot less than what you're probably used to. As far as the multicultral thing goes, if you like diversity and open mindedness stick with the larger cities and metro areas. There are areas of rural Alabama that are just as backward as they were before the civil rights movement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama