Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2007, 01:12 PM

18 posts, read 34,405 times

Advertisements

hi my friend and i are going to b travelling by road from Phoenix to Florida and will be touring part of the state. We are plutonic, non married blond caucasion male 21 and african-new zealander female 21, i am just concerned about how that would be received in AL, in fact we are quite worried due to stories and tv etc weve heard/watched. Just like some honest opinions on local attitudes to bi-racial opposite sex new zealand friends please and if we'd have a hard time or be welcomed, thanks. Andre and Jazmine
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2007, 05:14 PM

6,048 posts, read 18,360,713 times
You might get some curious looks because of your accents.

Old 06-16-2007, 05:28 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,098,102 times
I don't believe you will have a problem here. You don't say what part of AL you are planning to visit. AL is not as backwards as some would have you believe.
Southlander is right though about the accent.. and you will probably enjoy hearing ours.

Old 06-16-2007, 06:00 PM

23,553 posts, read 70,067,529 times
If you are PLUTONIC, people will think you are from Pluto. If you are platonic friends, you might get treated as a couple, but that is about the most excitement you'll get.

Old 06-16-2007, 06:12 PM

18 posts, read 34,405 times
haha sweet, well last time i was in US i stayed with friends in small town in Idaho and they loved the accent so not worried about that, my bad i meant platonic lol. um the area will b mainly south but we actually wanna detour n explore most of the state as alabama notorious 4 its southerness n thats what we cant wait to tour any areas we should take extra precaution?

Old 06-16-2007, 08:18 PM

346 posts, read 1,775,579 times
Your problem will not be AL but car rentals.

Old 06-16-2007, 09:26 PM

27 posts, read 124,769 times
In all honesty, alot of the stuff you hear about the South and Alabama is very over-exaggerated in many respects. There were some bad things that happened here in regards to slavery and treatment of Africans/African-Americans, but from conversations with a NUMBER of African-Americans over the years, they claim to have been treated worse in the North than they ever were in the South. It's also well-known that alot of those in the North seeking the abolition of slavery owned slaves themselves. Anyway... I know this isn't about slavery, but I just thought I'd attempt to dispel some of those very strong statements and perceptions of the South.

I don't know where all you're going, but in Birmingham, alot of folks are quite accepting of interracial couples and such... probably the same in Huntsville, Mobile, etc. But if you're going to rural Alabama, you might get some stares... but it's moreso out of curiosity than it is in a malevolent type of way. Anyway... yall shouldn't have any trouble here.

Old 06-17-2007, 06:39 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,098,102 times
AJ_nz, since you are from down under you may not know that a some people still think the people of the south are backwards, illiterate and prejudice, even in this day and age. I have seen it first hand when I lived in FL just because I had a slight southern accent, the big boss from up north thought I couldn't possibly be intelligent because I was from the south. Of course, I proved her wrong. LOL So please forgive us if we are a bit sensitive.
If you are going to be traveling around Mobile, you need to check out the seafood. It is the best.. Fried crab claws or west indies salad made with crab are a speciality. Go to the Eastern Shore (across the bay) to travel down the highway next to the bay and Gulf shores for a wonderful beach experience. Mobile has some beautiful old homes if you are into that sort of thing.
Huntsville is a very progress city in a valley. Marshall Space Flight center has the space rockets displayed and a museum. Try the barbeque here as it is different than other areas especially the white barbeque sauce. There are caves and waterfalls in this area which you can explore.
You will be warmly welcome so come and have fun and then let us know how it went.

Old 06-17-2007, 07:57 AM

1,354 posts, read 4,079,139 times
If you like calm beautiful ocean and beach plan on a stop in Gulf Shores, Al. It is truly one of the most lovely beaches in the States. Relax and enjoy!

Old 06-17-2007, 01:10 PM

41 posts, read 146,132 times
Whether we like it or not, most people are naturally anxious and curious about what they'll find in another part of the world (I know I am). Few of us are blessed with a world-wide perspective that makes travelling just about anywhere fun and exciting and "comfortable." Getting to this enlightened point of understanding doesn't happen overnight for everybody. As for "AJ_NZ," I totally understand your inquiries and know that your intention was not to offend (and even if it was, we all say silly stuff sometime...if not putting down someone's state, it'll be something else). Besides, it's very difficult to interpret someone's intentions through a written paragraph or two on these forums.

We just got back from Birmingham and loved the place. So many people I met there presumed that, because I'm from California, I'm accustomed to this, that, or the other (I definitely had my presumptions going to Alabama, right twostep?!)... some comments were both negative and positive. For the negative comments, it's because they just don't know OR have been hurt OR whatever. Either way, it's okay...and it's life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama