U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2010, 12:29 PM

55 posts, read 73,866 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerfan3 View Post
Not more, just more who are in your face and brazen about it.

I've been through the entire city of Detroit far too many times. I wasn't trying to say that city doesn't have problems. To tell you the truth that city is more screwed up than any I've been in, that's why I moved here. But that fact is people there simply can't get a job, and they haven't had a chance at one for years. It's not that hard here in Anchorage to get a job that pays minimum wage, IMO.
I understand what you are saying, but addicts aren't going to just clean up and go apply for a job. Lets be honest the people standing at the street corner will NEVER get a job looking like that......

Sure a clean cut person in Detroit might not be able to get a job and they can in Anchorage, but an addict that looks like it will not get a job in Detroit nor will they in Anchorage........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2010, 01:16 PM

260 posts, read 251,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeak01 View Post
I understand what you are saying, but addicts aren't going to just clean up and go apply for a job. Lets be honest the people standing at the street corner will NEVER get a job looking like that......

Sure a clean cut person in Detroit might not be able to get a job and they can in Anchorage, but an addict that looks like it will not get a job in Detroit nor will they in Anchorage........
Very true. I guess coming from Detroit the way I look at things is from a jobs point of view. I'm not trying to bash my newly adopted town. Maybe my initial post wasn't thought out. Truth is, I love it here. It's just that all these beggars stood out from the minute I got arrived.

Old 06-15-2010, 01:44 PM

3,273 posts, read 4,423,214 times
When my father owned his own business he picked up a couple people over the years that had work for food signs. They did a good job and he would offer them a job. None of them ever came back again and one of them said that he didn't want the responsibility of coming to a job everyday. I think this would pretty much sum up a majority of the panhandlers.

Old 06-15-2010, 02:14 PM

260 posts, read 251,822 times
Well, if they really wanted a job here in Anchorage they would already have one.

Sometimes I wonder what things would be like in this world had liquor or drugs
never been discovered.

Old 06-15-2010, 02:58 PM

16,106 posts, read 16,101,185 times
Last night I was sitting on the deck and one of the local people with a penchant for overindulgence staggered by, and yelled up at me asking if we were hiring. Gotta give him credit for trying, I suppose.

Urban living is just so damned dehumanizing, which is why I pretty much stay out of cities. But I will say that last time I spent the night in Anchorage, I was waiting outside my hotel very early in the morning waiting for a cab to take me to the airport, and there was a group of about ten street people nearby. One of them asked me for a smoke; I told her I didn't have any and damned if she didn't run off, bum a smoke from god knows who, and bring it back to me.

Old 06-15-2010, 03:18 PM

803 posts, read 840,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Last night I was sitting on the deck and one of the local people with a penchant for overindulgence staggered by, and yelled up at me asking if we were hiring. Gotta give him credit for trying, I suppose.

Urban living is just so damned dehumanizing, which is why I pretty much stay out of cities. But I will say that last time I spent the night in Anchorage, I was waiting outside my hotel very early in the morning waiting for a cab to take me to the airport, and there was a group of about ten street people nearby. One of them asked me for a smoke; I told her I didn't have any and damned if she didn't run off, bum a smoke from god knows who, and bring it back to me.
I imagine you could have offered him a job, and he'd wake up tomorrow morning having no idea of his dumb luck. I've often wondered it these people would change their ways if they were shown videotape of themselves staggering around like a fool, but perhaps it's this lack of shame or pride which contributes to the behavior.

I agree on the urban living- it's just not for me. I don't like walking out front of the house only to be greeted rudely by innumerable nosy neighbors or screaming heathens. The mere idea of townhomes and apartments sends a chill up my spine. Common walls are the things nightmares are made of. I don't like working for big companies, either. In fact, I prefer to work by myself. I'm at a disadvantage given the realities of today.

Old 06-15-2010, 03:58 PM

16,106 posts, read 16,101,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadicBear View Post
I imagine you could have offered him a job, and he'd wake up tomorrow morning having no idea of his dumb luck. .
Either that, or he'd show up for work, find my stash of hooch, and that would be that.

Old 06-17-2010, 05:29 PM

4,045 posts, read 5,440,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Young Herman View Post
I've heard things are expensive in Alaska, some I'm assuming alcohol and drugs must be too. So it has to be harder there to fund an addiction, especially if the person has no job. There was a show on National Geographic about State Troopers in Alaska, and when they did a bust the going cost of drugs were very expensive, so I can't see how a jobless person could want to be in that postion, it has to be much harder there hustling to get a "fix."
A bottle of Monarch vodka is around $10.

Old 06-18-2010, 01:04 PM

5,706 posts, read 4,875,624 times
SAN DIEGO -- A sticker with the phrase, “Please don’t feed our bums” is stuck on storefronts around Ocean Beach, based on satire of The National Park Service’s “Please don’t feed the bears” sticker and bringing a serious message.“People who live and work in the area know how it feels to be harassed by these people,” said Chaz Lomack, who works at an Ocean Beach business.The stickers are targeting a new group of homeless, who are young aggressive panhandlers who chose not to work and ask for money instead.

Stickers: 'Please Don't Feed Our Bums' - San Diego News Story - KGTV San Diego

Old 06-19-2010, 12:14 PM

3,784 posts, read 1,772,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerfan3 View Post
I realize I'm from out of town and don't know what's going on here..I don't want to be a know it all. But things are tougher in Michigan than here. Let's get real. You can't get a job flipping burgers in Michigan, believe me.

But every time someone asks me for money or a smoke here I keep thinking, "get a job." It's so easy here.

In Detroit, I would think--this guy has no chance to get a job.
What you have to understand is that Alcoholic's do not care about job's, homes, food or anything other than the next drink. They wake up in the morning feeling the tremor that can only be calmed by another drink. They live in a world were if they continue to drink they will die, if they don't it may kill them without medical help. Some pray for death but it doesn't come. They have no choice but to drink. It is a life of living hell.. and they are stuck right in the middle of it and can not see a way out..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska