Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2010, 01:32 AM

32 posts, read 104,880 times

Advertisements

I just had a thread on info for Juneau and got some very good info and was hoping to get some of the same kind of info on the Sitka area.
It looks like there are some very knowledgable Alaskans out there. If any of these questions have been already answered I apologize in advance. I did not see any threads on Sitka, and, yes, I know there is info on the weather and crime and on city-data and other sites, but was looking for some more personal insight. Yes, warptman, I know it rains and probably a lot also.

I have lived in the Phoenix metropolitan area my entire adult life (30 plus years) and am looking for a big change. Tired of the heat, the eight months of 100 plus temps and into the 120's, ten months of 90 plus degrees and almost no rain. A few years ago we had a low, yes low, temp of 96. It gets old when you dread the eight month summer in mid January already. This year wasn't too bad so far, but my wife still gets sick from the heat. Tired of the sprawl, moved out here in 1978 when there was about 1 million people, now there are 3.5 million. And yes hate to say it, but tired of the illegal immigrants taking over everything (saw video of a Mexican offical in Phoenix very recently saying this once was Mexico and will be again), many areas you can't find somebody to speak English to. Tired of the pollution. Tired of the traffic. Tired of the crime. Tired of the ugly, ugly area I live in, flat desert with some scrub brush but mostly just miles and miles of homes and more homes (made a commitment to my wife and son to stay where we are until he finishes school) And just tired of big metropolitan area living in general.

Okay, now that I got that off my chest, here are the questions I have:

1.) Is it possible to make a living in the Sitka area? Any opportunities in real estate appraising or actually anything (small business ownership geared towards tourism)?
2.) How is the crime there?
3.) Is the crime that is there more violent crime or property crime?
4.) Is it a pretty conservative area, liberal, or both?
5.) How much snow does Sitka get and when does it start and when does it end in the season?
6.) How long does it stay on the ground (from what month to what month)?
7.) What type of services are there in the area?
8.) Are there any grizzly bears in the immediate area?
9.) Does it just have the basics or more than the basics as far as stores?
10.) Any idea on the schools, good schools? Any private schools?
11.) Are there lots of tourists?

Thanks for any help on any of the above information. Any additional information and personal insight on the Sitka area also would be great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2010, 09:45 AM

3 posts, read 13,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyJoeJoe View Post
I just had a thread on info for Juneau and got some very good info and was hoping to get some of the same kind of info on the Sitka area.
It looks like there are some very knowledgable Alaskans out there. If any of these questions have been already answered I apologize in advance. I did not see any threads on Sitka, and, yes, I know there is info on the weather and crime and on city-data and other sites, but was looking for some more personal insight. Yes, warptman, I know it rains and probably a lot also.

I have lived in the Phoenix metropolitan area my entire adult life (30 plus years) and am looking for a big change. Tired of the heat, the eight months of 100 plus temps and into the 120's, ten months of 90 plus degrees and almost no rain. A few years ago we had a low, yes low, temp of 96. It gets old when you dread the eight month summer in mid January already. This year wasn't too bad so far, but my wife still gets sick from the heat. Tired of the sprawl, moved out here in 1978 when there was about 1 million people, now there are 3.5 million. And yes hate to say it, but tired of the illegal immigrants taking over everything (saw video of a Mexican offical in Phoenix very recently saying this once was Mexico and will be again), many areas you can't find somebody to speak English to. Tired of the pollution. Tired of the traffic. Tired of the crime. Tired of the ugly, ugly area I live in, flat desert with some scrub brush but mostly just miles and miles of homes and more homes (made a commitment to my wife and son to stay where we are until he finishes school) And just tired of big metropolitan area living in general.

1.) Is it possible to make a living in the Sitka area? Any opportunities in real estate appraising or actually anything (small business ownership geared towards tourism)?
5.) How much snow does Sitka get and when does it start and when does it end in the season?

Thanks for any help on any of the above information. Any additional information and personal insight on the Sitka area also would be great.
Hey Joe, Hopefully someone from Sitka or AK will chime in here, but in the mean time, I'll take a stab at it. I too live in the Phx area and have for virtually my entire life (40 years now). I have an aunt and uncle who live in Sitka and I have visited there three times. Back in high school, I spent a summer there. First of all, BEAUTIFUL town. I love it. Here's where hopefully someone with more knowledge than I will help out but I don't think it's very easy to just move there and land a job. If you are a teacher or nurse, doctor, something like that, it's easier. My sister and b-in-law moved there but after my b-in-law couldn't find work after a year of living there (despite having a masters degree) they decided to leave.

Re: crime, the last I knew, there was virtually none. In fact, I don't believe my family there ever locks up anything (house, car, etc.).
Re: snow, due to the proximity to the ocean, I don't believe they get much at all. It stays cold in the winter and gray and overcast most of the time (winter and summer) but I don't they get much snow at all in Sitka. I believe Sitka gets about 75-100 inches of rain per year. But most of the time, it never rains hard. Just kind of a constant drizzle and overcast and gray a lot of the time.
Yes, you don't have to venture out too far to see bears.
I may be wrong, but I believe the schools are good. Last I knew, AK put a lot of money into their schools and most people there place a high value on education.
RE: tourists, in the summer, they get a lot of cruise ships that stop in but my aunt says they just stay away from the main part of town when the cruise ships are docked.

A few things I think you should consider (besides the job issue). First, Sitka is on an island and I believe it's like 10 or 15 miles from one end of the main road to the other end. To get anywhere else, you either take the AK ferry system, or you fly out. for those of us who aren't used to that, it can be an adjustment. Second, I like you hate the heat here in the Phx area. However, to move to the other extreme where there are many days in a row (even weeks??) where you never see the sun, can be a big adjustment. Finally, and again, I may be way off base here, but I think to move there to such a small, remote community, you would be considered an outsider and may have a tough time being accepted. Again, I hope someone with more knowledge than I, can correct that point if I am mistaken.

Some of the most beautiful country there is to see. It's a wonderful place to visit, but I know that I could never live there. Hopefully it works out for you though, if that's what you decide to do.

Old 07-01-2010, 09:48 AM

3 posts, read 13,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyJoeJoe View Post

Oh, I also fogot to include the best part about living in AK: The yearly, AK permanent fund distribution check.

Old 07-01-2010, 08:14 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,129,609 times
Darn, you beat me to it...it rains just as much there, too.

Old 07-02-2010, 04:09 PM

32 posts, read 104,880 times
Thanks for the good info Latties Dog. Oh, and you too warptman. Anybody else out there have any insight on Sitka?

Old 07-03-2010, 12:00 PM

173 posts, read 380,662 times
Default Hard go of it...

Sitka is not an easy place to live. Even by Alaskan standards it's very expensive in terms of real estate, groceries, and travel.

It's one of the more scenic places to live, but you can't eat the scenery. The rain is pretty insane too. Not a bad place to raise a family if you have a good job. Your kids would be a bit isolated, but not too much with today's technology, Internet, etc.

Fishing and hunting are great in Sitka. You can be out on the water in five minutes catching a King Salmon in the summer without too much hassle if you own a boat.

Old 02-14-2011, 01:26 PM

14 posts, read 27,417 times
OK everyone I just stumbled upon this post and am looking for any and all info I can as JoeyJoeJoe did. BTW did you decide to move to Sitka? I to am contemplating a change from the other coast Florida-I may have a job if I do not I will not consider the move-as I cannot move anywhere without having means to support myself I am to nervous of a personality for that, that being said-Where does one live? I mean rentals seem non existent and buying is out of the question as I own a home in Florida I can’t sell so having 2 mortgages does not seem realistic. I cannot seem to see anywhere to rent-Also a big problem if you own pets your are out of luck-I have 2 cats and 1 very small dog and the few I found say NO PETS. I really only need like a 2 BR house/apt/condo/townhouse. Also what are groceries like and gas prices as well as electric costs. I know a lot of questions. I also have a job possibility in Connecticut and when I asked pretty much same question a poster told me to find somewhere else I was appalled and embarrassed I hope I do not get the same reaction here I am just trying to figure it out as best I can prior to moving anywhere.
Any advice would be great--Thanks

Rent- w/pets
Price- groceries
Price- gas
Any jobs for spouse- (building supply sales)

Old 02-14-2011, 01:46 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,722,762 times
Here's the online edition of the Sitka newspaper. You have to have a subscription to view most content, but you can look at the classified section without one and get an idea of rentals and employment:

Daily Sitka Sentinel - Home

No one here lives in Sitka so we can't give you first hand information (though I think a couple of members may have previously lived there, not sure).

I will go check on those Connecticut people...from the sounds of things they may be needing a lesson in manners.

Old 02-14-2011, 03:07 PM

5,963 posts, read 12,435,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latties Dog View Post
Oh, I also fogot to include the best part about living in AK: The yearly, AK permanent fund distribution check.
Interesting you should mention this. By chance you don't live in Arizona and collect this?? naw....of course not..lol

Last edited by Alaskapat528; 02-14-2011 at 04:30 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska