Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2010, 11:22 PM

38 posts, read 76,179 times

Advertisements

2 of us plan on a trip to AK next year. I have read materials on the various cruise's. I am not much on taking a cruise I want to see the various sights in AK.

Can I take a cruise one way, do our thing for 2-3 weeks and fly back?

Any help on the following would be helpful.

Best time to go?

We want to see the following:
Denali & and stay inside the park at the lodge for 2-3 nights.
Fly and land on Denali.
See other National Parks if worth it.
Glacier's and transportation to take us fairly close.
Bears - Grizzely, black, polar.
Other Wildlife - moose, whales, seals etc.
Take guided hikes for wildlife and vistas. We want to try and take it all in.
Would like to travel much of the state as we can.
No camping.

Trying to do this myself instead of going through a travel agent etc.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2010, 07:07 AM

7,308 posts, read 14,691,026 times
Why couldn't you do all those things?? Good luck and have fun.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=55

Last edited by stiffnecked; 07-04-2010 at 07:44 AM..

Old 07-04-2010, 08:52 AM

3,763 posts, read 8,752,874 times
You can arrange the land portion all on your own. Get a rental car. Secure a good price early then you can always get a better price. Great help for arranging it all is at:

Alaska Forum, Travel Discussion for Alaska - TripAdvisor

Locals will recommend B&Bs, hikes, Denali reservations, suggest itineraries, etc.

Just be sure to get a shuttle bus into Denali, not a tour bus. The tours cost 3 times more & don't go far enough into the park.

Old 07-04-2010, 01:05 PM

3,272 posts, read 3,933,909 times
Sure, I do it every year:

Alaska 2006

Alaska 2007

Alaska 2008

Old 07-04-2010, 03:21 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,554,229 times
Do what we did on our Alaskan vacation. We flew to Anchorage and rented a car and drove all over taking various day cruises and such. I recommend visiting Seward, Talkeetna, Denali, and if you can the McCarthy/Kennicott area. I used tripadvisor.com to plan where I stayed. I don't recommend Whittier, not much to do there nor Homer because its a long drive unless you plan on a fishing charter. Get yourself a copy of the Northern Light coupon book for next year too, will save you lot of money. Time of year, I recommend either late may/early june or August/early september.

Old 07-04-2010, 04:44 PM

2,795 posts, read 5,616,028 times
If you are road tripping it, pick up The MILEPOST: Alaska Travel Guide and Trip Planner.

Old 07-04-2010, 08:37 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,862,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
Do what we did on our Alaskan vacation. We flew to Anchorage and rented a car and drove all over taking various day cruises and such. I recommend visiting Seward, Talkeetna, Denali, and if you can the McCarthy/Kennicott area. I used tripadvisor.com to plan where I stayed. I don't recommend Whittier, not much to do there nor Homer because its a long drive unless you plan on a fishing charter. Get yourself a copy of the Northern Light coupon book for next year too, will save you lot of money. Time of year, I recommend either late may/early june or August/early september.
Yup, that's the way we did it, or, there is a group (Rainbow Mountain Adventures) that can arrange all sorts of stuff using this travel plan, we used them for a lot of our trip, it's kinda nice to know that, after you leave one place, someone is expecting you within a vague time frame in another place. As I have heard several times, "lost in Alaska often means dead."

Old 07-04-2010, 10:19 PM

38 posts, read 76,179 times
Thanks so far for the info.

For what I have indicated I would like to do does anyone have a ballpark figure what it may cost?

Old 07-05-2010, 10:15 PM

3 posts, read 3,326 times
I personally think end of August-September is the best time in Alaska. There seems to be less bugs out. But the best part of all is the colors on the mountains. Especially in September. August/September is also a good time for bear viewing. They're pretty active munching on fish and getting fat for winter. There's also a slightly magical feeling as the snow moves it's way down the mountain and you know winter is on it's way. Though cruises end in Sept. But you can always take the ferry's up. The have cabins to sleep in and there are deals for walk-on's where you can stop at 3-5 places as long as you want and you don't have to buy a new ticket every time so it keeps the cost low.

Old 07-06-2010, 04:05 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,554,229 times
We spent about 7 grand including airfare, B&B's, car rental, dinner out every night, activities, and T-shirts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska