U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2010, 10:04 AM

158 posts, read 149,564 times
I am headed up in 5 days, flying in to Anchorage, then on to Palmer. I am so glad you all are posting about your trips. Momofmany, would love to read your blog. My two teens (15 and 16) and I are probably moving up soon. I am coming up to check things out but in my heart I believe its home already. (the kids are so ready to snowboard! ) If all works out maybe we could meet once we get up there? I love to cook and share meals, hangout. I am in Alabama. Good luck on your moves/trips.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2010, 11:49 AM

189 posts, read 173,071 times
Would love to meet up ginger! We are staying in Anchorage from the 1st until the 6th I think..DH is off mailing almost the last of our boxes. My blog's address is North Bound! Our move to Alaska.: 48 hours

Old 07-26-2010, 12:33 PM

3,112 posts, read 1,678,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momofmany926 View Post
Would love to meet up ginger! We are staying in Anchorage from the 1st until the 6th I think..DH is off mailing almost the last of our boxes. My blog's address is North Bound! Our move to Alaska.: 48 hours
Sadly I'll be a bit more North of you, Ginger, and Mom, being in Barrow, but I look forward to reading your blog.

Old 07-26-2010, 12:37 PM

189 posts, read 173,071 times
Barrow, now that is a place I want to visit sometime, but I'm not sure I want to live there. Good luck to everyone!

Old 07-26-2010, 03:29 PM

50 posts, read 63,359 times
Hey guys! I'll be up there around the 6th...We are driving from S. Florida. I'm so excited!!

No kids for me, but am kind of-sort of around the age of your kids! lol

Also, would love to visit barrow during the winter if possible...might be looking for some tips this coming winter! :P

Old 07-26-2010, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asphodell View Post
Hey guys! I'll be up there around the 6th...We are driving from S. Florida. I'm so excited!!

No kids for me, but am kind of-sort of around the age of your kids! lol

Also, would love to visit barrow during the winter if possible...might be looking for some tips this coming winter! :P
I'll be in Barrow this winter so send me a message.

Old 07-26-2010, 11:51 PM

158 posts, read 149,564 times
My plane gets to anchorage in the early morning hours (really early lol) and then we had on to palmer. Then will leave the 10th early am too. It would be great to meet you all. If we move up maybe we can get together or at least be in touch. I think that would be great. Interested in reading how all the moving is going so I will have ideas on it too or if anything worked for anyone already up there.

Old 07-27-2010, 06:25 AM

The plan is for me to fly from VA to Barrow on the 6th, rest and get settled in on the 7th and 8th, and start work on the 9th. The local shipping company came out yesterday to look at what I have and to let me know what my work-allotment will allow me to bring. Now I'm just waiting for final details on the flight plan and word that my AK nursing license has been issued.

Old 07-27-2010, 07:03 AM

50 posts, read 63,359 times
We leave tomorrow around noon and are driving up from South Florida. We plan to hit the Canadian border via North Dakota within about two days and then we're going to sight-see our way through Canada. Icefields Parkway is something I've been looking forward to driving for a LONG time!! We also geocache, so we will be geocaching along the way!

With us are four very cuddly cats so our stopping will have to be pet friendly! I think this will be the only thing that slows us down a bit. We expect to arrive in Anchorage on the 6th, as that is when our apartment will be ready. Work will begin a week later! I'm keeping a travel log as far as where we stay, gas prices, etc...I'll post it up somewhere once we arrive safely in Anchorage.

Oh and for my reading enjoyment when it's not my turn to drive, I've picked up a copy of "A Guide to Wildlife Viewing in Alaska"!

Old 07-27-2010, 07:51 AM

24 posts, read 35,226 times
Well, we leave Minneapolis on Friday morning. We are on our way to Anchorage for 3 days and then to Barrow on Sunday night. Start work on Monday!! Just got our physical address yesterday. Spoke with the PO about packages that were sent on July 2. Seems they may take 6 weeks , not the 4 i was quoted. Nothing there as of yesterday. PO is doing a search for me and will let me know where they are now. We are excited and apprehensive. Way to many details and notes that continue to grow rather than shrink. Last few things will be shipped today. We have a small dog in tow too. Best of luck to all!! and safe travels!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska