Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2010, 06:53 PM

1,437 posts, read 4,801,965 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
I vote for us as well. I also vote for the wolves. What I don't vote for is the predator known as the great white out of state sports hunter....why not take them out of the mix before we start in on the wolves...
i'm with you on that one....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2010, 06:55 PM

1,437 posts, read 4,801,965 times
BTW...can we start with the lynching of the fools that murdered Romeo?

Old 08-09-2010, 10:11 PM

4,731 posts, read 9,942,023 times
Quote:
I vote for us as well. I also vote for the wolves. What I don't vote for is the predator known as the great white out of state sports hunter....why not take them out of the mix before we start in on the wolves...
Agreed

World of difference between predator control program and sport hunting... but I guess the state can charge more to sell sport hunting licenses to tourists

Old 08-09-2010, 11:03 PM

3,539 posts, read 7,648,963 times
Quote:
Hopefully ADF&G is now purged of the likes of Machine Gun Kellyhouse and others who simply wanted to eradicated wolves and used food production for hunters as an excuse. Virtually all of the jerks like him that had control of ADF&G a couple decades or more ago where as racist anti Native as could be, but discovered that if they claimed the purpose of wolf control was to aid Native subsistence hunters that it gave legitimacy to their cause. A lot of Native people bought into it without knowing who and what they were actually snuggling up to.

If ADF&G will stick to controlling wolves (and bears) in places where it affects subsistence hunting, I'm all for it.

I see no point in reducing wolf populations that compete with "sport hunting". (I might agree to reducing sport hunter populations though!) If "sport hunters" don't want to compete with wolves they can hunt in a Safeway, Fred Meyers, or Walmart.

Old 08-09-2010, 11:46 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,157,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
So wolves are killed so there will be more moose to hunt?
Yes, but in a few and very specific areas where the wolves are exterminating the moose.

Old 08-09-2010, 11:53 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,157,521 times
Quote:
This will never end. However, in Canada only Natives are allowed to guide outsiders, and a portion of the money goes to Native organizations. But Polar bears can be hunted in Canada, and this is illegal in Alaska. If I well remember, a few years ago it was something like $9,000 for a polar bear hunt, most of which stayed in Native hands.

I do agree with you about the outsiders hunting in Alaska, since the outfitters mostly are from the lower-48. But we have a few Alaska outfitters, some of which have gotten in big trouble recently for breaking F&G laws (accusations of killing moose to have bears feed on the carcass and hunters to kill the bears). This are accusations of course, so we will have to wait and see
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
View detailed profiles of: