U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2010, 03:22 AM

3,538 posts, read 4,170,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teamcoltra View Post
People who don't look out for the greater good, get what they have coming to them. I am going to get a lot of flack for the comment, and I sympathize with the innocent people who had to be on the flight that was intended for Ted alone... but its like I tell my mom after she does something stupid "man, I am not going to stand by you for a bit -- just in case God hits you with a bolt of lightning or something".

Justice = Served.

Ted Stevens --- Flight to Nowhere.

Hopefully this post doesn't clog the internet's "tubes".
Okay, you didn't like Uncle Ted. But tell us why rather than say something so vague and annoying.

Ted Stevens did more to make air travel both safer and cheaper for all Alaskans than any other single person. He supported funding for navigation equipment that has reduced (and could reduce it even farther) the acident rates. He also was the architect of "bypass mail" that brought cheaper seat fares to almost every location in Alaska.

It also happens that the reason you can go to almost any village in Alaska and get Internet access... was Uncle Ted. He's also the reason telephone rates for long distance from Alaska are not ten times as high, like they once were.

You may be too young, and too new to Alaska to understand why the people in this state like Stevens so much. But you need to learn why that was before saying too many really stupid things!

BTW, at 80+ years old Stevens may have used odd terms like "tubes", but he knew more about the Internet than just about anyone posting to C-D (and many times more than you). He was the primary architect of the 1996 Communications Act that made the Internet what it is today (and in particular allowed Alaska to become the mosted well connected state of the Union).

Last edited by Floyd_Davidson; 08-13-2010 at 03:32 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2010, 07:08 AM

5,745 posts, read 4,285,782 times
Quote:
People who don't look out for the greater good, get what they have coming to them. I am going to get a lot of flack for the comment, and I sympathize with the innocent people who had to be on the flight that was intended for Ted alone... but its like I tell my mom after she does something stupid "man, I am not going to stand by you for a bit -- just in case God hits you with a bolt of lightning or something".

Justice = Served.

Call your doctor's office in the morning. You need help.

Old 08-13-2010, 10:16 AM

4,988 posts, read 5,186,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floyd_Davidson View Post
It is true that the NTSB warned about aviation accidents in Alaska 15 years ago, but it was Ted Stevens who actually did things to lower the rate significantly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by think first View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by notreesininceland View Post
I've logged enough flight time both here and down south to know that things are definitely different in Alaska. But I'm not just talking about conditions. There's no doubt that a portion of the higher accident rate up here can be attributed to a greater percentage of flight hours logged in marginal or hazardous conditions in Alaska as compared to down south. However, there is also allot of stuff that goes on up here that would never fly down in the -48 (no pun intended). Sure, some of it may be due to necessity (it would be harder to get around up here being overly cautious), but there is a certain mindset among many Alaskan aviators that may not necessarily be the most conducive to safety if you get my drift. Heck, I even personally know of a few individuals up here who fly, and even own a plane, who will openly brag that they don't have a pilot's license. And from what I understand the practice if fairly common up here - something I was rather shocked to learn when I first moved up here. There have even been several incidents that I can recall that were reported in the papers recently that involved unlicensed pilots.

Now, I'm in no way inferring that any of this had a bearing on the GCI crash. Just an observation on my part...

Old 08-13-2010, 11:52 AM

471 posts, read 616,839 times
Ted Stevens was one of the biggest objectors to Net Neutrality, which is the easiest way to see who a person sides with: Corporations or the people. Non-Net Neutrality ONLY helps big business, while destroying the rights of internet users. Anyone who describes the internet as a "series of tubes" does not actually understand the basic workings of the internet. The Internet is more like a big open library with infinite copies of all its books, ready to help educate anyone who wants to learn... no tubes.... no dump trucks... no clogging.

He might have been tech savvy in comparison to the others on the hill, but if he can check his own email he can accomplish that.

He was CONVICTED of being corrupt. lol this means that the corrupt idiots on capitol hill, saw this guy and thought "man this guy is corrupt". Democracy can only thrive when our elected officials are transparent and honest. He was a traitor to his country and thus got what he deserved. Too bad it took this long to catch up with him.

Anyway... I highly doubt that I am fully alone on my belief on this. If I am, well thats the beautiful part of America -- Built on the dissenting voice..

Old 08-13-2010, 12:03 PM

20,960 posts, read 21,250,265 times
I supported Uncle Ted all my adult life, I don't care what people thought of him, he loved Alaska and all the people in it. Keep in mind team, you have to fly back to Bethel. If it wasn't for Stevens, you'd be paying twice as much to get to Chevak as you did and maybe you wouldn't make it back. Look at the instrument panel on the flight back to Bethel, Ted poured money into each dashboard in all the commercial planes here, it's called Capstone. Thank him for making your flights more safe to and from the Bush.

Old 08-13-2010, 12:11 PM

4,988 posts, read 5,186,833 times
Quote:
He was a traitor to his country and thus got what he deserved. Too bad it took this long to catch up with him.

Anyway...well thats the beautiful part of America...
Yep, your a real class act. Some of us are making plans to attend a memorial service next week for a man we considered to be part of our family, while you jump up and down with joy celebrating the death of a fellow human being.

But, as you say, that's the beautiful part of America. Fools with a keyboard are free to make a$$es of themselves in public. ******

Old 08-13-2010, 12:17 PM

So, by doing good things -- you are allowed to do bad things?

Old 08-13-2010, 12:20 PM

5,704 posts, read 4,378,677 times
I'm sure you're not the only person who didn't like Ted Stevens, but it'd be nice if those who didn't would at least wait until he's been buried before firing away.

Old 08-13-2010, 12:33 PM

8,633 posts, read 2,479,532 times
Quote:

Justice = Served.

Ah, the tolerant left.

Old 08-13-2010, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Whisperer View Post
Yep, your a real class act. Some of us are making plans to attend a memorial service next week for a man we considered to be part of our family, while you jump up and down with joy celebrating the death of a fellow human being.

But, as you say, that's the beautiful part of America. Fools with a keyboard are free to make a$$es of themselves in public. ******
LOL -- Well I love and respect that you can disagree with me. I may not like what you say, but I will fight to the death your right to say it.

Btw, many people celebrate the death of others, they feel that when they die they are going on to a better place. While I am not one of those (at least I don't think he is going to a better place), I just want to point out that celebrating the death of someone is not always bad.

Coltra out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska