U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2010, 12:37 PM

15,566 posts, read 14,664,077 times
Coltra, doesn't your trolling have any limits at all?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2010, 01:13 PM

8,624 posts, read 2,467,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teamcoltra View Post
Ted Stevens was one of the biggest objectors to Net Neutrality, which is the easiest way to see who a person sides with: Corporations or the people. Non-Net Neutrality ONLY helps big business, while destroying the rights of internet users. Anyone who describes the internet as a "series of tubes" does not actually understand the basic workings of the internet. The Internet is more like a big open library with infinite copies of all its books, ready to help educate anyone who wants to learn... no tubes.... no dump trucks... no clogging.

He might have been tech savvy in comparison to the others on the hill, but if he can check his own email he can accomplish that.

He was CONVICTED of being corrupt. lol this means that the corrupt idiots on capitol hill, saw this guy and thought "man this guy is corrupt". Democracy can only thrive when our elected officials are transparent and honest. He was a traitor to his country and thus got what he deserved. Too bad it took this long to catch up with him.

Anyway... I highly doubt that I am fully alone on my belief on this. If I am, well thats the beautiful part of America -- Built on the dissenting voice..
You might want to check your facts before you continue with this sickening display of partisan hatred:

On April 1, 2009, United States Attorney General Eric Holder, citing serious prosecutorial misconduct during the trial, decided to drop all charges against Stevens—an action that vacated his conviction. It seems Stevens wasn't the corrupt one.....

Of course, by then, the real purpose of the charges had come to be: he'd lost the election.

Old 08-13-2010, 01:15 PM

774 posts, read 752,599 times
It's interesting to see the outpouring of love for the ex-Senator by the Alaskans. I can say, as somebody who has never lived there, the opinions of him are much less flattering outside of the state. It just goes to show that "earmarks" and "pork-barrel legislation" are dirty words to all except those who directly benefit.

Old 08-13-2010, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadicBear View Post
It's interesting to see the outpouring of love for the ex-Senator by the Alaskans. I can say, as somebody who has never lived there, the opinions of him are much less flattering outside of the state. It just goes to show that "earmarks" and "pork-barrel legislation" are dirty words to all except those who directly benefit.
Just as the opinions about another former politician from Alaska are actually much more flattering among -48ers than among people who live here. That's because the Alaska that exists on Google and the Alaska that some of us know are two vastly differently places.

Old 08-13-2010, 01:34 PM

774 posts, read 752,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Just as the opinions about another former politician from Alaska are actually much more flattering among -48ers than among people who live here. That's because the Alaska that exists on Google and the Alaska that some of us know are two vastly differently places.
It all boils down to personal experience. To me, a Mexican druglord is one of the most reprehensible people on earth. To the kid who rose from the slums of Guadalajara to the tony suburbs of Mexico City thanks to those drug profits, he's a hero.

Old 08-13-2010, 01:41 PM

471 posts, read 615,820 times
Met, thats a good point, Alaskans suck at electing politicians.

The case was thrown out based on a "mistrial", that does not mean that he was innocent, it just means that the prosecutors were idiots.

Also - Why do people always feel that its so important to talk people up after they die? They are not going to read it, they can't get offended, and honestly who they are doesn't change just because they are dead.

I bet that there are a few of you here who are boo-hooing his death who would have talked crap about him a week before.

Old 08-13-2010, 01:58 PM

Oh, I've talked crap about uncle Ted before. I just don't feel that this particular thread is the place to do so.

Old 08-13-2010, 02:27 PM

4,043 posts, read 4,814,545 times
I'm not boo-hooing his death, he lived a long productive life, but I agree that bashing him isn't really necessary. I really feel bad about the son who lost his dad and Dana Tindall's family. That is heartbreaking.

Old 08-14-2010, 12:02 AM

182 posts, read 208,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
You might want to check your facts before you continue with this sickening display of partisan hatred:

On April 1, 2009, United States Attorney General Eric Holder, citing serious prosecutorial misconduct during the trial, decided to drop all charges against Stevens—an action that vacated his conviction. It seems Stevens wasn't the corrupt one.....

Of course, by then, the real purpose of the charges had come to be: he'd lost the election.

You may want to check into what Vacated means?

Old 08-14-2010, 12:04 AM

182 posts, read 208,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
I just don't feel that this particular thread is the place to do so.

I agree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska